• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which Minnow do you support and why

Which Minnow team do you support

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
mundaneyogi said:
Well, a cursory search on Google will unearth many articles saying the same thing.
Yes Google search returns tons of articles, but most of it writeen couple of years after BD were granted test status. If the 'Asian Bloc' was so well known among these intelligent people, why is it so rare to find an article written before 2001 ?
I wouldn't be surprised if most of it came from people who have an axe to grind with Mr. Dalmiya. (e.g. Anand Vasu of Cricinfo, who now a days criticizes everything Dalmiya does or has done in the past, but if you read the Cricinfo articles of 2000, there is no mention of Asian Bloc. In 2000, this same cricinfo was going gaga over Bangladesh Test status.). I wonder why were these people silent for 2 years and waited for BD to fail ? If there was an Asian Bloc motive, it should have been reported in the beginning itself.

I am no Dalmiya supporter, but I will not consider him guilty on the basis of few articles written by people whose integrity is in doubt here.

PS :- I mention Dalmiya because he was the ICC president and most often man accused of promoting the asian bias.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Sanz said:
If the 'Asian Bloc' was so well known among these intelligent people, why is it so rare to find an article written before 2001?
Probably because Bangladesh were only given test status right at the ebd of 2000. How could a journalist comment on something of this nature until afterwards?

Sanz said:
I wouldn't be surprised if most of it came from people who have an axe to grind with Mr. Dalmiya.

I am no Dalmiya supporter, but I will not consider him guilty on the basis of few articles written by people whose integrity is in doubt here.
Come on, it's a bit irresponsible to be calling people's integrity into question because they have opposing views to yours. Perhaps Mr Dalmiya cops so much criticism because it's justified? Anyway, when I initially made the comment, it wasn't pointed at any one individual. A bloc, by it's very definition, is an alliance, ie. a group of entities.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
mundaneyogi said:
Probably because Bangladesh were only given test status right at the ebd of 2000. How could a journalist comment on something of this nature until afterwards?
Bangladesh were granted Test status in June 2000. And If promoting the Asian Bloc was the main reason, wouldn't it be evident before BD was actually granted status ? CEO was a Non Asian, Most of the members were non Asians.

Come on, it's a bit irresponsible to be calling people's integrity into question because they have opposing views to yours. Perhaps Mr Dalmiya cops so much criticism because it's justified? Anyway, when I initially made the comment, it wasn't pointed at any one individual. A bloc, by it's very definition, is an alliance, ie. a group of entities.
I know you were not pointing directly @ Dalmiya, but most of the Journalists do point @ him. As for me questioning the integrity of the journalists because they have a different view than mine, well that's not true.And btw haven't you been doing the same thing i.e. questioning the integrity of Cricket boards just because you have formed a different opinion by reading some articles ? Those articles which have no basis and could very well be the imagination of some individuals ?

Anyways, Here are the reasons fwhy I question their integrity :-

1. They are using a powerful medium for character assassination of some people/Boards. If they know something more than other then they should back it up.

2. They dont question their own country's board for supporting the Asian Bloc.

3.They stayed mum for 2-3 years, and when Bangladesh started failing, they came out of their shell and put it on one board/one guy.

The fact is that every entity was responsible for Bangladesh's Test Status, If they knew that BD were not ready, they why did they support it ?

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Sanz said:
Bangladesh were granted Test status in June 2000.
Oops, my bad. November was the date of their first test.

Look, I pretty much don't trust any of my sources of information. It just seems more plausible to me that there were non-cricketing reasons why Bangladesh were elevated.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree and leave it at that.