• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which Minnow do you support and why

Which Minnow team do you support

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
I'll throw my (unoriginal) hat into the ring and say Bangladesh. It's becoming increasingly obvious that they are improving and I think that after following in the footsteps of Sri Lanka for a while they will eventually become a force in world cricket. That is, provided they can overcome that Asian tendency towards inconsistency.

Although I'm all for expanding the game I find it hard to get enthusiastic about teams like Canada, the USA, etc. One only needs to look at their player lineups to see that they mainly consist of expatriates that weren't good enough in their countries of origin.

A good indication of potential is being able to select a "native" side (for want of a better word) - that shows a much greater level of support and enthusiasm for the game domestically. This is why I was so interested in the Namibian side in the last world cup. What happened to them?

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Yes I would still count Bangladesh as a minnow, and I always feel glad when they do well. Mainly because I can see them actually going somewhere, while the likes of Kenya and Zim I cannot. I think eventually Zim and Kenya will be overtaken by the likes of Ireland, Scotland, and others.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Ignore Richard, He is just afraid that Bangladesh might win the world cup before England does.

Matt79

Global Moderator
You're obviously labouring under the misapprehension that you're meant to ENJOY playing and watching cricket, shame on you.

Bangers for me.

You realise that if we ruthlessly got rid of minnows, England would have lost its international status during the nineties! :)

Steulen

International Regular
The Netherlands of course.

Great result for them over the weekend too.

Otherwise: Bangladesh, for what it means to their nation when they win.

And a big FOAD to anyone who doesn't want to see minnows do well.

crickmate

U19 12th Man
Sanz said:
Ignore Richard, He is just afraid that Bangladesh might win the world cup before England does.

Richard, days are coming pretty fast than I expected, when you have to eat earth as you swore. So, wait patiently, rather than talking more stupid. Bangladesh is becoming better day by day and as a result you will see more and more people are backing Bangladesh. So you want it or not they will come good and beat the *** of England like their U19 team did with England U19 this year.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I've had a Bangladesh replica shirt for two and a bit years now, and I'm never gonna forget being able to wear it with a huge grin on the morning after Cardiff.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can I change my vote from New Zealand to England please after today's debacle?

Found 30 seconds for a swift score-check on t'internets mid-morning, Freddie and KP ripping the Indian attack apart like so much flock wallpaper.

I bought t'evening paper ter rayd abaht England win on t'bus - worrappened? Boggin' prairtles.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
crickmate said:
Bangladesh is becoming better day by day and as a result you will see more and more people are backing Bangladesh.
It is the other way round, most of us have been backing Bangladesh despite the results. :)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
Can I change my vote from New Zealand to England please after today's debacle?

Found 30 seconds for a swift score-check on t'internets mid-morning, Freddie and KP ripping the Indian attack apart like so much flock wallpaper.

I bought t'evening paper ter rayd abaht England win on t'bus - worrappened? Boggin' prairtles.
:laugh: :laugh: About the Last line of your post, was it in english ?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Btw - Akbar, blinkatesh, habibul, msrajani all of whom voted for Bangladesh, have combined total of 4 posts.

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
How can anyone not support the minnows? For the sport to progress the game must be spread around the world. If you look at the history of the game theres always been new sides entering test cricket, and very few have started well... look at sri lanka.. zim... new zealand, WI, and India even.... they all started very badly! But they were persisted with and eventually became sucessful.
One day for cricket to be as popular as football around the world there needs to be more countries playing... in 50 years i expect at least 15 test nations if not more with the amount of money being spent by the icc.
Shame on anyone who wants these teams to do badly! how will they progress if we dont give them a chance at this level?