• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which Minnow do you support and why

Which Minnow team do you support

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
Unlike Richard I (in common with a lot of Brits, I suspect) generally root for the underdog in any sporting comp, unless a team I actively support is playing them.
'Tis a common British disease.
Can't say whether it's common anywhere else.
The Ashes aside, one of the greatest moments of last summer was the Banglas getting up to beat the Aussies in that ODI. I think you'd have to have a pretty stony heart not to say "fair play" to them.
Really... 8-)
How many great moments were there aside from The Ashes last summer?
Would you say the same thing about the Somerset side who beat the Aussies?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard said:
Clearly by "substandard side" I am referring to international cricket.
You must be the first Yorkshire supporter ever to admit that the tight-fisted gits aren't already a country in their own right.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Bangladesh obviously....being Bengali and having parts of my family from Bangladesh (although they all left pre-independence).

steds

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
You must be the first Yorkshire supporter ever to admit that the tight-fisted gits aren't already a country in their own right.
Yeah, but everyone knows we sold Yorkshire to France years ago.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
'Tis a common British disease.
Can't say whether it's common anywhere else.
Disease!?? What's wrong with supporting the underdog?
It's pretty common in Australia, by the way. Just have a look at Eric the Eel during the Sydney Olympics. I think the main thing in supporting underdogs is that when they win, it's so emotional for the players, and it's the fact that they're trying the best and that's what sport's all about.

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Fantastic thread. I used to support Zimbabwe, but that was in the time of Heath Streak, Ray Price, Andy Flower et al... nowadays I just support Canada and Scotland. Scotland, definitely, are on the right track as a team.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
chooka_nick said:
nowadays I just support Canada and Scotland. Scotland, definitely, are on the right track as a team.
You have now almost reached half way to making up for supporting Yorkshire. Well done, kid. :)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
andyc said:
Disease!?? What's wrong with supporting the underdog?
It's pretty common in Australia, by the way. Just have a look at Eric the Eel during the Sydney Olympics. I think the main thing in supporting underdogs is that when they win, it's so emotional for the players, and it's the fact that they're trying the best and that's what sport's all about.
Exactly. Calling supporting the underdog a disease is one of the stupidest things Richard has ever said, and that's saying something. Honestly you have no heart.

When the Bangadeshis beat Australia, the emotion and joy they felt was great to see. I'm sure all the people back home supporting their nation were ready to celebrate in the streets but realise "Oh no, Richard won't like this, we better not."

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jono said:
When the Bangadeshis beat Australia, the emotion and joy they felt was great to see. I'm sure all the people back home supporting their nation were ready to celebrate in the streets but realise "Oh no, Richard won't like this, we better not."
LOL I can just see it now.

The Bangladeshi police marching round the streets brandishing a gun in one hand and a picture of Richard in the other to round all the celebrating fans up and send them off home!

TIF

U19 Debutant
Bangladesh arent minnows anymore. They have beaten a full-strength Zimbabwe, India, Australia and Sri Lanka in ODIs and cleanly swept the ODI series against Kenya recently showing that they are not minnows anymore. However, among the teams mentioned, my favourite team happens to be Bangladesh.

Otherwise, my favourite minnow team among teams below Kenya happens to be Nepal:p

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Well its more polite to call them minnows than what I would call them.
Whilst they are improving they are a million miles away from being competetive. The Aussie result was fantastic but in ODIs that type of thing can happen and that drum has been banged for a long time already.

Bangladesh are not at County standard let alone Aussie State or Saffie Provincial level.

A sincere congratulations to them for beating Kenya. It was important and all cricketers enjoy winning and if they failed then they would have been pilloried for their failure. However, it was 'only' Kenya and there is a lot of work to go before they can be considered anything but minnows (if we are being polite).

Last edited:

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
I cant believe how people can seriously support Kenya ! they are on the way back, and not the way up, believe me.
Holland ofcourse, as im from Holland !
I don't support Bangla,
I liked Zimbabwe, but then Flowers n all left! and it all got worse:(
time for Mugabe to go (die)

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Goughy said:
Well its more polite to call them minnows than what I would call them.
Whilst they are improving they are a million miles away from being competetive. The Aussie result was fantastic but in ODIs that type of thing can happen and that drum has been banged for a long time already.

Bangladesh are not at County standard let alone Aussie State or Saffie Provincial level.

A sincere congratulations to them for beating Kenya. It was important and all cricketers enjoy winning and if they failed then they would have been pilloried for their failure. However, it was 'only' Kenya and there is a lot of work to go before they can be considered anything but minnows (if we are being polite).
True they get beaten 99% of the time and they would stuggle against strong domestic teams.

But the thing that separates them from Kenya and Zimbabwe is that there's a future in sight, there's a stable first-class competition which both kenya and Zim lack. There's real talent coming through at the junior levels, cricket has massive support in the country and they can beat the other minnows.

I mean compared to the other two nations they have something to look forward too, and yes while being whitewashed by other sides isn't great, it gives them a real test of themselves.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Autobahn said:
True they get beaten 99% of the time and they would stuggle against strong domestic teams.

But the thing that separates them from Kenya and Zimbabwe is that there's a future in sight, there's a stable first-class competition which both kenya and Zim lack. There's real talent coming through at the junior levels, cricket has massive support in the country and they can beat the other minnows.

I mean compared to the other two nations they have something to look forward too, and yes while being whitewashed by other sides isn't great, it gives them a real test of themselves.
Without a doubt their future is far brighter than Zim and Kenya and they are a superior team to those 2. However, they will always be minnows when they are compared to them rather than the big boys.

Just because they are not the worst team in a world of pretty poor cricket does not mean they have acheived anything to move from the bottom rung of the Test ladder.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
TIF said:
Bangladesh arent minnows anymore. They have beaten a full-strength Zimbabwe, India, Australia and Sri Lanka in ODIs and cleanly swept the ODI series against Kenya recently showing that they are not minnows anymore. However, among the teams mentioned, my favourite team happens to be Bangladesh.
Nope, their still minnows.

Once they demonstrate that they can compete with the top sides consistently, that will be revisited.