• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FICA vs. ICC

Loony BoB

International Captain
Sorry, couldn't find a thread on it. I heard today during the SA/Aus test that this might be going as far as a player stirke - anyone know much about this, outside of the few articles on Cricinfo? I haven't seen "Strike" written anywhere there yet.

Also, which five countries does FICA represent at the moment?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Everyone?
I've heard nowt to the contrary, and it'd seem pretty reasonable.
IMO - desperate times call for desperate measures. Too much cricket has been played for the last decade at the very least, and ICC seem to have taken no notice of anything so far.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
There should be a max limit. No national team is allowed to play more than 25 ODI and 13 tests in one calender year.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Richard said:
Everyone?
I've heard nowt to the contrary, and it'd seem pretty reasonable.
IMO - desperate times call for desperate measures. Too much cricket has been played for the last decade at the very least, and ICC seem to have taken no notice of anything so far.
Most Cricinfo articles are talking about how they only represent five of the test playing nations, or something.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
silentstriker said:
There should be a max limit. No national team is allowed to play more than 25 ODI and 13 tests in one calender year.
Interestingly, what the ICC are doing is the reverse: they're setting a minimum limit - of 10-12 Tests and 24-27 ODIs a year. Then they're putting the responsibility on the individual boards to keep it within 15 Tests and 30 ODIs a year (which they say they agree should be the limit, but they also say that each individual board is free to arrange series with each other, which means that they players have to negotiate with the national boards to agree the maximum amount. And in some countries, such as India, player power is very limited, I believe - therefore the ICC should really take a more active role and stop too many tours being arranged, just like they're stopping countries from arranging too few).

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/241948.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
silentstriker said:
I don't think you can say something like that.
I think it would be more appropriate to have a much, much more relaxed Fixtures Plan.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Loony BoB said:
Most Cricinfo articles are talking about how they only represent five of the test playing nations, or something.
Indeed?
In which case I'd take a guess at England, West Indies, Australia, New Zealand and Sri Lanka. May be wrong, though.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
they are all represented by FICA now, there was a deal in 2002 IIRC

FICA's president is Barry Richards

the VP's are
Courtney Walsh
Greg Chappell
Andy Pycroft
Martin Crowe
Duleep Mendis
Majid Khan

Loony BoB

International Captain
Ah, it seems that although they might represent players in certain countries, FICA is only recognised in five countries...

"Asked about Speed's claims that FICA was not representative as it was only recognised in five countries, he said the fact that some countries chose not to recognise their respective player associations was irrelevant. "What is relevant is whether the players recognise FICA as their representative." - Cricinfo.