• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Back to school young man

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
This is probably a teeny bit self indulgent and might not interest many people, but I never promised you a rose garden.:)

I was rooting my way through some very old long forgotten belongings tucked in away in my attic and found an old school history project. We were allowed to do literally anything we wanted and I choose English Test Cricket 1970-77(The year being 1977 at the time.)
It's quite surprising looking at the incidents that took place just how much controversy there was at that time.
Here's a précis those I documented - I must say I cringe a bit at some of my literacy skills at the time, but I will probably cringe if I read this thread when I'm sober.:)

1970 - The Snow/Illingworth/Jenner incident when Snow was warned by the umpire for short pitch bowling.
1971 - Again John Snow, and his physical assault on Sunil Gavaskar when Sunny was taking a run.(I'd completely forgotton about that and to this day have never seen it.)
1972 - The Headingley Test against Australia which was over in two and half days after the wicket turned square for the recalled Derek Underwood from after lunch on the first day.
1973 - The bomb scare at Lords during the Test against the West Indies.
Geoff Boycott being grabbed around the neck by a spectator when leaving the field having hooked Boyce straight into the trap set for the last ball of the day - caught by Kallicharran.
1974 - The Lord's Test against Pakistan when Pakistan were twice caught on a wet wicket, the first time after a downpour in the days of uncovered pitches, the second time when the covers inexcusably leaked overnight. Justice was done when the final day was washed out with England needing only 87 to win.
1975 - The final Test against Australia which was abandoned when the pitch was dug up by "vandals"(a very loose description, but I'm sure most people know the story) leaving the final day abandoned.
1976 - The Tony Greig "I intend to make them grovel statement" in advance of the series against the West Indies.
1977 - The Kerry Packer affair.

There were of course many non-controversial happenings like New Zealand so nearly winning the first two Tests in 1973, the momentous Ashes Series in 1974/75, the first World Cup, and the return in 1977 of Geoff Boycott after three years self imposed exile. Not forgetting the Centenary Test. The sad death of New Zealand wicketkeeper Ken Wadsworth in 1976 - that really upset me at the time, he was still a young man at the peak of his powers.

The teachers assessment of the project.
"An interesting account by a lover of the game." Thank you Mr Derrick if you're still alive.:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Cricket before 1976 (David Steele excepted) is not something I'm too educated in and have learned from all the years except 1970 and 1973. :)