• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which cricket team has the best "Spin Department"

adharcric

International Coach
1. Australia
2. India
3. Sri Lanka
4. Pakistan
5. New Zealand
6/7. Bangladesh/England
8. South Africa
9. West Indies

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
First of all, it'd be good if you could change avatars please...

India have the best one for mine, two spinners who you can generally rely on to lead attack, while Aus, IMO,only have one.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Before the England v India series I would have said India (1), Australia = Sri Lanka (2),
Pakistan =NZ (4).

But Indian spinners failed to nail England at home while Murali has struggled to get wickets lately against quality opposition (forget cheap Bangla wickets).

So Honestly I would say IMO

1 Australia (Warne occasionally Macgill)
2 England (Udal/Panesar) = India (Kumble/Bhaji)
4 Sri Lanka (murali , yet to see Bandara in Tests get wickets)
5 Pakistan = NZ

cpr

International Coach
hmm, mebbie kumble has struggled a bit, by his own high standards though, certainly wouldnt put udal and panesar anywhere near the skill India has at its disposal!

Never been a McGill fan, so i'd be tempted to put India on top. But the quality of Warne (and especially comparing form) just shades it for Australia.

Sri Lanka 3rd, England somewhere pretty low down

cpr

International Coach
steds said:
You've got to be joking?

It's West Indies, btw.
I saw people put West Indies down the bottom and i instantly wondered what your reaction would've been. Took it quite calm actually....

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
My God Jason, Udal plays one test match and Panesar plays 3, and now they're a better spin bowling attack then Kumble and Harbhajan? Did you see Kumble's figures for the series?

Kumble by himself is a better spin attack then England's, and that's not necessary an insult on those two players, but just showing how good Kumble is.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Well i would say India has the best spin option, they can rely on them time and time again.. it hasn't been working of late as harbajan has been out through injuries this and that.. its just matter of time..
Next would be Australia, Shane is just a dominating force, he does the job for the team..
followed by SriLanka, Murali, til dil and jayasuriya do the job and then NZ..

Somewhere down the order i would put England, they have nothing especially with no experience of giles.. No means monty is bad, but the experience just ain't there.. and Udal.. he is just lucky(but good on him for picking up wickets in the last match) and South Africa and WestIndies

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In Tests clearly India's spin attack is the best.
Sri Lanka have long had the best ODI spin-attack going around.
And if they'd just recall Dharmasena they might have it once again.

chicane

State Captain
very little separates india, sri lanka and australia imo.

sl - murali (the best) + bandara (promising)

india - kumble and harbhajan (two of the top spinners)

australia - warne (second best) + macgill (great support bowler, takes so many wickets)

murali and harbhajan have been struggling off late though, so atm i think - australia, india then sri lanka.

on top form - sri lanka (cant beat murali), india, then australia.