• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best cricketer right now.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
I personally think Freddie's the only choice.

Warne (my pick for cricketer of the year 2005), hasn't had a great time against South Africa as Ohtani's Jacket mentioned in another thread. Murali's evelated himself to the world best bowler on the ICC rankings, yet it happened after he played Bangladesh. He struggled in Australia and isn't quite what he was in 2000-01. McGrath isn't playing. Inzamam has to be up there... terrific batsman. You could mention Hayden if you were desperate. Ponting's close to Freddie, but Freddie can do both and it puts him ahead.

If I were forced to pick a number two it would be Shaun Pollock - who in a pretty good team, is far and beyond their best player.

1. Flintoff
2. Pollock
3. Ponting

... would be my top 3 considering the last three or so months.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
I'm better than Ponting.

He did well, but I think Fletch does a lot of the work and they would've had plans for the Indians before they left Blighty. Still got to implement them though.

Blaze

Banned
What is the recent lording of Flintoff all about?

Sure he is a great player but over the last two weeks there have been plenty of threads made in an effort to praise Flintoff.

BTW Shane Warne is the best cricketer playing the game IMO

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Blaze said:
What is the recent lording of Flintoff all about?

Sure he is a great player but over the last two weeks there have been plenty of threads made in an effort to praise Flintoff.

BTW Shane Warne is the best cricketer playing the game IMO
Because in the last two weeks, Flintoff has surpassed even his own previous high standards of performance with mature batting (he finished with a series average which was double his entire amount of runs on his last visit to Indis), excellent bowling that his figures (which are good anyway) do not reflect, and solid leadership, everyone "in the know" has always said Strauss will be Vaughan's successor, but it seems unanimous now that if Vaughan were to retire or step down, Flintoff should succeed him.

I am biased, but for me Andrew Flintoff is the best cricketer in the world, and is giving himself all-time great status. I believe only injury could possibly stop him getting even better.

Blaze

Banned
GeraintIsMyHero said:
I am biased, but for me Andrew Flintoff is the best cricketer in the world, and is giving himself all-time great status. I believe only injury could possibly stop him getting even better.
Shane Warne has achieved so much more than him in his career. The best cricketer currently still playing the game is Shane Warne (or Murali although I don't rate him as highly because of all the controversy :ph34r: ).

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
Shane Warne has achieved so much more than him in his career. The best cricketer currently still playing the game is Shane Warne (or Murali although I don't rate him as highly because of all the controversy :ph34r: ).
Though i agree with you on warne, the thread does say "best cricketer right now" which cancels out your first point

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Most Vertical Primate is either Warne or Fred.

I really don't know, if a gun was put to my head, whom I'd choose right now. Some might even pick McGrath ahead of both.

E2A actually McGrath is out of the game right now so ignore that.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
Most Vertical Primate is either Warne or Fred.

I really don't know, if a gun was put to my head, whom I'd choose right now. Some might even pick McGrath ahead of both.
Again, Best cricketer right now. And McGrath isn't exactly playing

Blaze

Banned
GoT_SpIn said:
Though i agree with you on warne, the thread does say "best cricketer right now" which cancels out your first point
"best cricketer right now" is a stupid topic though... Kyle Mills and James Franklin both just took 6 wickets in a Test match, does that make them the best bowlers right now?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Blaze said:
Warne has been playing longer, Flintoff came of age in the last 4/5 years, is now playing in a truly world class side and can go on to do truly great things. What they have achieved is something to assess them on retrospectively at the end of their career, but on the present I would pick Flintoff, it is close though.

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
Pointing
Hayden
Dravid
Hussey
Flintoff
Dilshan
Warne
Sreesanth
Hoggard
Kumble