• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Underrated XI

RoyForPM

Cricket Spectator
Alright this is a tough one, name the most underrated cricketers of all time in batting order. We will start with the openers, vote who the most underrated openers of all time were.
I'll say Michael Slater and Phil Jacques, Australian Bias shows

Blaze

Banned
Shane Bond is underrated... but that's probably because a)he is a kiwi and b) people forget about him because he has been injured for so long.

Swervy

International Captain
Blaze said:
Shane Bond is underrated... but that's probably because a)he is a kiwi and b) people forget about him because he has been injured for so long.
really? I thought everyone rates Bond (when fit) as one of the very best

Blaze

Banned
Swervy said:
really? I thought everyone rates Bond (when fit) as one of the very best
I'm not really talking about this forum, more specifically about the cricketing world's media.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Blaze said:
I'm not really talking about this forum, more specifically about the cricketing world's media.
Some people on this forum don't rate him. Whenever someone mentions that he's a good bowler they'll come up with the stupid stat that his average on dead-flat pitches against non-minnows is only 30-something, then they'll take out his couple of 5-fors against the Windies because they feel like it and so they judge him on his average in a grand total of about 2 games - one of which was in Australia on debut.

Swervy

International Captain
Sir Redman said:
Some people on this forum don't rate him. Whenever someone mentions that he's a good bowler they'll come up with the stupid stat that his average on dead-flat pitches against non-minnows is only 30-something, then they'll take out his couple of 5-fors against the Windies because they feel like it and so they judge him on his average in a grand total of about 2 games - one of which was in Australia on debut.
yeah well there are too many people on this forum who rely on averages etc to form an opinion on a player. rarely do these people have much understanding behind really what goes on, so forget those opinions.

Swervy

International Captain
RoyForPM said:
Do you think Richard Hadlee was underrated?

well, considering I think of him as being probably the best pace bowler I have ever seen, I would say anyone who doesnt put him in the elite class is seriously underrating...but I have never come across anyone who doesnt consider him to be one of the very very best

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Sir Redman said:
I think you'd find that people say he's unproven, not overrated. I have no doubt that when he gets the chance, he will prove himself against better teams and on flatter wickets. Until then, it's hard to compare Bond to other bowlers since he hasn't had the opportunity to perform against everyone.

At any rate, I think Bond is one of the best pace bowlers around today, and I can only hope that he remains injury-free for the rest of his career.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
RoyForPM said:
Do you think Richard Hadlee was underrated?
Most people would rate him as at least ONE OF the greatest new ball bowlers of all time. Thats not under rating. Unless you think every one should rate him as THE greatest ever.:)