• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Building A Side From Scratch: Which Player Do You Choose First?

Who Do You Pick?

• Lara (WI)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kallis (SA)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Dravid (Ind)

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Warne (Aus)

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Flintoff (Eng)

Votes: 19 55.9%
  • Muralitharan (SL)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • McGrath (Aus)

• Gilchrist (Aus)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Ponting (Aus)

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Other

• Total voters

pskov

International 12th Man
Simple enough question. If you have to build an XI from nothing, which player in world cricket do you selec with your first pick. Who do you build the team around?

archie mac

International Coach
I picked Flintoff, bowlers win matches always have always will. Just so happens he can bat pretty well also.

As well fast bowlers almost always start off the innings so can set the dye early:)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I would start with Flintoff and overbowl him. He'd have to retire by 30, but it'd be a good two years for my team.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If McGrath is at his best I'd usually choose him, but Flintoff seems the obvious choice at the moment. I'd always choose a bowler though, because there are far less quality bowlers going around compared to quality batsman.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I was tossing up between Flintoff and Warne, but Warne's age ruled him out. Coupled with Freddy's captaincy experience now, I'd be happy to choose him first.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
I chose McGrath. Flintoff was close, but McGrath is a better bowler and there are other batsmen out there who can pick up the slack.

Jdz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hard choice but I chose Ponting, experienced captain and a great batting average. What's the point in taking wickets if you don't have enough runs.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Jdz said:
Hard choice but I chose Ponting, experienced captain and a great batting average. What's the point in taking wickets if you don't have enough runs.
...because bowlers win Test matches, not batsman (most of the time). No matter how good your batting is, you need to take 20 wickets to win.

I'd go with Flintoff as well.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I'd take Brett Lee for New Zealand, seeing Bond and Lee opening the bowling would be great fun.

adharcric

International Coach
Flintoff, easily. He's good enough to lead an attack and can bat a decent amount. Now we know he can be a skipper as well.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've gone for Freddie - the guy is fast approaching legend status.

Now go back a quarter of a century, and this is how we felt about Botham - and probably explains why every time a so-called all-rounder popped his head out from village cricket, the press went mad with the 'New Botham' label.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jdz said:
Err - bowlers win matches.
Batsmen help avoid them being lost.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
James said:
I'd take Brett Lee for New Zealand, seeing Bond and Lee opening the bowling would be great fun.
Why, because Bond would make Lee look like a joke? :p