• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Does anyone know if this is true?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Mike Haysman has been mentioned in the Commentary Thread. Read the story below and let me know if you can confirm it as true or false. If it is it is quite sad and funny at the same time.

I don't want to go into too many details about where I heard this apart from that it was a source close to Mike Haysman and on good authority. As I've no idea if it's common knowledge or who reads this forum so I don't want to go into too much detail.

Haysman was the captain of an Australian team, U'23s I beleive they said but it could have been anything at the level just below the national team.

Anyway as the new season began he was not just no longer captain he was not even included in the squad.

Haysman being young and ambitious took this as a massive sleight and was furious.

Thinking that he was being hard done by he signed up for the Austailian 'Rebel' Tour to South Africa.

When the squad was announced he received an irrate phone call. The conversation was along the lines off "What the hell have you done? How could you be so idiotic? You were not in the other squad because you were going to be called into the Ashes test team".

Oops.

Went on to have a good first class career in SA and has a good TV career. However, it does show if you take a little time to think about your decisions you can avoid mistakes.

archie mac

International Coach
Goughy said:
Mike Haysman has been mentioned in the Commentary Thread. Read the story below and let me know if you can confirm it as true or false. If it is it is quite sad and funny at the same time.

I don't want to go into too many details about where I heard this apart from that it was a source close to Mike Haysman and on good authority. As I've no idea if it's common knowledge or who reads this forum so I don't want to go into too much detail.

Haysman was the captain of an Australian team, U'23s I beleive they said but it could have been anything at the level just below the national team.

Anyway as the new season began he was not just no longer captain he was not even included in the squad.

Haysman being young and ambitious took this as a massive sleight and was furious.

Thinking that he was being hard done by he signed up for the Austailian 'Rebel' Tour to South Africa.

When the squad was announced he received an irrate phone call. The conversation was along the lines off "What the hell have you done? How could you be so idiotic? You were not in the other squad because you were going to be called into the Ashes test team".

Oops.

Went on to have a good first class career in SA and has a good TV career. However, it does show if you take a little time to think about your decisions you can avoid mistakes.
As I remember it without looking it up, he was mentioned as a replacement for the Ashes squad after the selectors found out some of the original selected players were headed to SA. It was then found that he to had signed for the Reble tour. I could have it wrong though.