• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best technical XI

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Rules are that you pick a team with the best technique and you have to specify which field their technique was flawless in.

1. Sir Leonard Hutton (batsman)
2. Barry Richards (batsman)
3. Rahul Dravid (batsman)
4. Jaques Kallis (batsman)
5. Greg Chappell (batsman)
6. Imran Khan (batsman)
7. Rodney Marsh (wicketkeeper)
8. Richard Hadlee (bowler)
9. Shane Warne (bowler)
10. Dennis Lillee (bowler)
11. Glenn McGrath (bowler)

12th man – Stuart MacGill.

All who saw Len Hutton said he has the best technique they’d ever seen. Those who saw Barry Richards said the same and that his feet never moved once until the ball was bowled, which is rare. Guys like Ponting and Inzi love to walk across the crease, or some will step forward then back etc. Richards stillness suggests his eye was good enough to control his body. He was in control so to speak. Dravid and Kallis need no explanation. Greg Chappell was the most on-balance cricketer I ever saw. It would seem as if he barely touched the ball and it would go for four. People have said Chappell and Richards were similar. Imran Khan may not have been an effective batter… or should I say effective as others. But the man worked on his batting and worked on having the straightest bat in cricket. They’re all the batsmen. I did not choose any of them based on any anything else like bowling or fielding. In fact I am dead set on my top five - if I were making a list of the best batsmen for technique ever, those would be the top five on my list. I might change Imran if I can find somebody else.

Rodney Marsh is seen as the model for wicket keeping excellence with where you place you head etc. Allan Knott nearly got the place.

For the bowlers both McGrath and Hadlee were the most accurate and economical bowlers in cricket history and never once wasted an ounce of energy. Dennis Lillee’s technique is what bowling coaches use to instruct their students. Lovely natural stride, the proper side-on and with a rock-back comparable to that of the Ali lean. I’ve said it before, talk to any high-up cricket expert and your taught to think “Lillee” and “what did Lillee do.” Coaches will point to many batsmen on how to bat properly but they'll only point toward one bowler on how to bowl properly. Shane Warne is the envy of Richie Benaud because Ritchie’s said it many times, he would’ve done everything like Warne. The round arm, the over-spin etc.

Nobody that I know of has had more practice carrying drinks than Stuart MacGill… the 12th man’s 12th man.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Francis said:
Nobody that I know of has had more practice carrying drinks than Stuart MacGill… the 12th man’s 12th man.
I would be fun to devise a contest to analyse the techniques of MacGill, Lee and Jimmy Anderson in 12th man duties.

Round 1- Juice mixing
Round 2- Cup of tea quality comp.
Round 3- Speed of isolating the correct bag and bringing spare gloves onto the field.
Round 4- Ability to understand complex instructions from the captain and relay them to the batsmen on the field.
Round 4- Most drinks on 1 tray with minimum spillage

etc

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I'll do a present-day XI, as I don't know enough about past players for that.

1. Justin Langer
2. Herschelle Gibbs
3. Rahul Dravid*
4. Ricky Ponting
5. Jacques Kallis
6. Mohammad Yousuf
7. Kumar Sangakkara+
8. Shane Warne
9. Daniel Vettori
10. Matthew Hoggard
11. Glenn McGrath

Numbers 8-11 are picked on their bowling actions.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Goughy said:
I would be fun to devise a contest to analyse the techniques of MacGill, Lee and Jimmy Anderson in 12th man duties.

Round 1- Juice mixing
Round 2- Cup of tea quality comp.
Round 3- Speed of isolating the correct bag and bringing spare gloves onto the field.
Round 4- Ability to understand complex instructions from the captain and relay them to the batsmen on the field.
Round 4- Most drinks on 1 tray with minimum spillage

etc
:laugh:

(Especially because of the presence of two Round 4's :p :D )

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Barney Rubble said:
I'll do a present-day XI, as I don't know enough about past players for that.

1. Justin Langer
2. Herschelle Gibbs
3. Rahul Dravid*
4. Ricky Ponting
5. Jacques Kallis
6. Mohammad Yousuf
7. Kumar Sangakkara+
8. Shane Warne
9. Daniel Vettori
10. Matthew Hoggard
11. Glenn McGrath

Numbers 8-11 are picked on their bowling actions.
Gibbs' technique is all over the shop.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
dontcloseyoureyes said:
Gibbs' technique is all over the shop.
Agreed, Gibbs has a very poor technique. Poor foot movement, gap between bat and pad, failure to get forward properly, brings his bat down at an angle and unsure of what to leave around offstump.

If anything Gibbs is a triumph of hand eye coordination and highly developed ball skills.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The only inclusion I would push for in your team, Francis, is Boycott. He may have been selfish, but he was a master technician, and it really came to the fore on the dodgiest pitches, and in the fourth innings of tests, where his record is wonderful. Perhaps he could be included opening, and Richards could move down to replace Kallis.

Among current players, I'd make quite a few changes from Barney's team. Mine would be...

Justin Langer
Stephen Fleming (c)
Rahul Dravid
Younis Khan
Jacques Kallis
Shane Watson
Kamran Akmal (k)
Daniel Vettori
Shane Warne
Brett Lee
Glenn McGrath

Keep in mind, this team isn't really selected solely on merit, but on their techniques.

Fleming is far from one of the best batsmen in the world, but his technique is quite wonderful, especially against spin. Gets into a bit of trouble against the quicks sometimes, but he plays very straight and very still, and is great to watch. Langer doesn't have an orthodox technique, but aside from falling over occasionally he doesn't have any faults. Solid in any conditions against any sort of bowling, and there aren't many technically perfect openers around to displace him. Dravid speaks for himself, quite simply has the best technique in world cricket at the moment. Kallis is similarly straightforward, especially in the last couple of years. Younis is a very correct batsman who again isn't among the best, but has a very cool head and a solid technique. Watson might be a surprise, but he's genuinely got one of the best techniques against pace bowling going around. Plays perfectly straight, and is sometimes so caught up in his technique that he seems to lack any ability to innovate at all. Not great against spin, but I don't think that's a technique issue.

Akmal isn't a perfect keeper, but he's got an excellent technique with both the gloves and the bat. Just beat out Gilchrist, who is underrated in both capacities technique-wise.

McGrath and Warne are straightforward. The most flawless bowlers in the world, among the best of all time in terms of their bowling actions. McGrath has the perfect action for a medium-pacer, upright, bowls from close to the stumps with a high point of release, and bowls with wonderful economy of effort, allowing him to bowl long spells and stay injury free. Warne has the perfect action for a leg-spinner, as Vettori does for a finger-spinner. Lee might be the point of contention, but regardless of his record as a bowler, for an express pace quick he has a wonderful action, great to look at and perfect in terms of his position and point of release. Generates maximum pace with minimal strain, and allows him (when he chooses to) to bowl wicket to wicket.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
My Post War Technical XI

Boycott
Practice, practice, practice. Noone before or since has dedicated themselves to the production of a technical cricketing robot. This pursuit may have been to the detriment of the flair he possessed but only showed on rare occasions.

Gavaskar
Standing up to the might of the great West Indian attack and prospering was a feat of incredible technical ability and one of the greatest acheivements in batting of the late 70s and early 80s..

Bradman
Just makes the list due to the 'Invincibles' tour of 48. Not a classical technique but a technique with no flaws. Did all the simple things correctly and honed his technique to the point where mistakes and misjudgments were incredibly rare.

B. Richards
Never hurried and never in anything but complete control. Possessed supreme talent and combined it with a water tight technique.

Barrington
A slave to his discipline. Dedicated to improvement and never thought he knew it all. Would change style, technique and attitude depending on the situation and opponents.

Harvey
To be an Aussie great you have to be damn good. To be maybe one of the most venerated Aussies since Bradman you have to be in a different class. Harvey combined sublime stroke play with a flawless technique.

Hadlee
The bowling machine. Wonderfully efficient and rarely bowled a bad ball. A master of fast bowling skills and so dedicated it is rumoured that he counted the number of stitches on a ball before selecting it.

Engineer
Standing up to the spinners is the biggest test of a keepers technique. Engineer kept to Bedi, Prasanna, Chandrasekhar and Venkataraghavan and did it well.

Holding
Classical and deadly. Smooth, lithe and an action that enabled him to remain relatively injury free throughout his career.

Lillee
The greatest fastbowling mind of his generation. There is nothing he did not know about the ball. The transition from speed of light bowler to bowler of fast cutters was an exercise of technical ability as of mental strength.

Bedi
With an action that has been described as perfection this man may have combined the artistry and technique of left arm spin better than anyone else in history.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
1. Hobbs
2. Gavaskar
3. Hammond
4. Richards Barry
5. Sachin Tendulkar
6. Sobers
7. Taylor
8. Imran
9. Hadlee
10. Lillee
11. Bedi

Last edited:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Okay, what the hell was I thinking with my team. :laugh:

Fleming's a good shout instead of Gibbs, and MoYo's not a great call from myself. Mst have been in a weird mood earlier. :unsure: :D

howardj

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
The only inclusion I would push for in your team, Francis, is Boycott. He may have been selfish, but he was a master technician, and it really came to the fore on the dodgiest pitches, and in the fourth innings of tests, where his record is wonderful. Perhaps he could be included opening, and Richards could move down to replace Kallis.

Among current players, I'd make quite a few changes from Barney's team. Mine would be...

Justin Langer
Stephen Fleming (c)
Rahul Dravid
Younis Khan
Jacques Kallis
Shane Watson
Kamran Akmal (k)
Daniel Vettori
Shane Warne
Brett Lee
Glenn McGrath

Keep in mind, this team isn't really selected solely on merit, but on their techniques.

Fleming is far from one of the best batsmen in the world, but his technique is quite wonderful, especially against spin. Gets into a bit of trouble against the quicks sometimes, but he plays very straight and very still, and is great to watch. Langer doesn't have an orthodox technique, but aside from falling over occasionally he doesn't have any faults. Solid in any conditions against any sort of bowling, and there aren't many technically perfect openers around to displace him. Dravid speaks for himself, quite simply has the best technique in world cricket at the moment. Kallis is similarly straightforward, especially in the last couple of years. Younis is a very correct batsman who again isn't among the best, but has a very cool head and a solid technique. Watson might be a surprise, but he's genuinely got one of the best techniques against pace bowling going around. Plays perfectly straight, and is sometimes so caught up in his technique that he seems to lack any ability to innovate at all. Not great against spin, but I don't think that's a technique issue.

Akmal isn't a perfect keeper, but he's got an excellent technique with both the gloves and the bat. Just beat out Gilchrist, who is underrated in both capacities technique-wise.

McGrath and Warne are straightforward. The most flawless bowlers in the world, among the best of all time in terms of their bowling actions. McGrath has the perfect action for a medium-pacer, upright, bowls from close to the stumps with a high point of release, and bowls with wonderful economy of effort, allowing him to bowl long spells and stay injury free. Warne has the perfect action for a leg-spinner, as Vettori does for a finger-spinner. Lee might be the point of contention, but regardless of his record as a bowler, for an express pace quick he has a wonderful action, great to look at and perfect in terms of his position and point of release. Generates maximum pace with minimal strain, and allows him (when he chooses to) to bowl wicket to wicket.
Early nomination for post of the week.

tooextracool

International Coach
i cant believe no one has sachin tendulkar. I'd like to hear of anyone who has or has had a better technique than him.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
i cant believe no one has sachin tendulkar. I'd like to hear of anyone who has or has had a better technique than him.
I thought about him, but I never thought he had the most solid of techniques, just a really good eye. He can get bowled through the gate a fair bit if there's any movement about (Gillespie's done it a number of times), and he's a bit loose outside off-stump sometimes.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
I thought about him, but I never thought he had the most solid of techniques, just a really good eye. He can get bowled through the gate a fair bit if there's any movement about (Gillespie's done it a number of times), and he's a bit loose outside off-stump sometimes.
I think he has a great technique.

Over the years he has picked up a few bad habits from one day cricket and secondly his poor run is making him play a bit un-naturally such as his exaggerated forward defensive 'pose'. These removed, his basic technique is as close to perfection as one has seen.

It is very rare to find a batsman who plays all the strokes and plays them (at least he used to) exactly as per the bok without loking stiff.

Its a great gift. His technique is built in !

I left him out by oversight. He is back in my team.

tooextracool

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
i certainly dont think the latter is a technical weakness given that he plays with a very straight bat close to his body which is all anyone can be expected to do. yes he does have a weakness to the ball coming in, but thats only when the ball keeps low because he doesnt get on the front foot. more temperamental than technical IMO.