• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best technical XI

shankar

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
I thought about him, but I never thought he had the most solid of techniques, just a really good eye. He can get bowled through the gate a fair bit if there's any movement about (Gillespie's done it a number of times), and he's a bit loose outside off-stump sometimes.
He has gotten bowled through the gate a few times but I dont recall even one occasion when Gillespie's done it :wacko:

tooextracool

International Coach
shankar said:
He has gotten bowled through the gate a few times but I dont recall even one occasion when Gillespie's done it :wacko:
indeed in fact tendulkar is/was far more susceptible to lbws than being bowled through the gate.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
tooextracool said:
i cant believe no one has sachin tendulkar. I'd like to hear of anyone who has or has had a better technique than him.
I was about to say the same thing!

Honestly if there's one thing I love about his technique and style of batting, its how compact he is. That's why I'm guessing people don't realise how good his technique is among modern players compared to say a Dravid or Kallis. Because Dravid and Kallis make it so obvious how vital their technique is to their game, and they play accordingly, its easy to pick out that they have great techniques. But Tendulkar's technique is just as good, and his weaknesses have always (as you TEC pointed out in a later post) generally been temperamental. And when people talk about how often he's been bowled, have they looked at Dravid's record of dismissals lately? Even the best get bowled when the ball stays low, always happens to Sachin. Plus I've always felt the fact that he can play so many more shots than Dravid and Kallis on a regular basis yet keep such a compact technique was amazing.

My current 'technically brilliant' XI:
Justin Langer
Stephen Fleming (c)
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
Jacques Kallis
Younis Khan
Kamran Akmal (wk)
Daniel Vettori
Shane Warne
Darren Gough
Glenn McGrath

My team is very similar to Faaip's, except I've left out Watson for Tendulkar, and Lee for Darren Gough. I've already explained why I think Tendulkar's technique is one of the best in the world, and I've always felt Gough's bowling action is one of the best ever. I know he's not currently playing international cricket for England anymore, but bugger that. And as good as Lee is to watch bowling at normal speed, there is a kink in his elbow and I'd hardly call that a great technical trait.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
My current 'technically brilliant' XI:
Justin Langer
Stephen Fleming (c)
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
Jacques Kallis
Younis Khan
Kamran Akmal (wk)
Daniel Vettori
Shane Warne
Darren Gough
Glenn McGrath

My team is very similar to Faaip's, except I've left out Watson for Tendulkar, and Lee for Darren Gough.....and I've always felt Gough's bowling action is one of the best ever. I know he's not currently playing international cricket for England anymore, but bugger that.
I agree with most of the team. I will however, disagree with Gough. He has 2 traits in his bowling action that are massive technical weaknesses. As a coach we fight these problems and try and eliminate them at an early stage.

He bowls off a bent left leg, rather than being braced. This reduces height and pace.
He also has his heel of the ground at the time of delivery, rather than being fully planted. This recuces his balance and stops the left leg being used as a pivot.

Gough has a nice upper body action but his front leg and feet are far from technically correct. He has to muscle the ball with the upper body rather than carry his momentum properly through the crease.

I've done a quick search and below is a link to a photo that illustrates his technical issues.

http://content-rsa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/image/181414.html

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
Goughy said:
I agree with most of the team. I will however, disagree with Gough. He has 2 traits in his bowling action that are massive technical weaknesses. As a coach we fight these problems and try and eliminate them at an early stage.

He bowls of a bent left leg, rather than being braced. This reduces height and pace.
He also has his heel of the ground at the time of delivery, rather than being fully planted. This recuces his balance and stops the left leg being used as a pivot.

Gough has a nice upper body action but his front leg and feet are far from technically correct. He has to muscle the ball with the upper body rather than carry his momentum properly through the crease.

I've done a quick search and below is a link to a photo that illustrates his technical issues.

http://content-rsa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/image/181414.html
that is quite true actually and its one of the reasons why he'd often fall over on the ground after delivering the ball.
personally i'd say you couldnt have a better bowling action than kapil dev, glenn mcgrath or Allan Donald.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Wow, fair play Goughy. Tremendous find, that picture does show a bit of unnatural strain on the body. As you said, looking from behind or in front his action looks wonderful but thats because its the upper part of his body which looks so smooth.

None the less, without Gough I am struggling to find a fast bowler currently around who has a near perfect technique. I'd like not to include Lee for reasons I've already stated, and Bond's new action doesn't look particularly good for his body. All the SA fast bowlers have either stop-start or plain 'all over the place actions' (Nel, Hall, Ntini, Kallis) so I'm fairly lost. I think Munaf Patel's action looks promising, but for now maybe Hoggard's is the way to go, I'm not really sure.

Also on the batting front, Darren Ganga surely deserves a mention?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Surprised nobody has mentioned Daren Ganga.. (edit - oops Jono just did)

No runs but the third best technique in the world after Dravid and Kallis..

Allan Donald/Glenn McGrath, technically the best bowlers ever to grace the game.. Donald as a result shouldn't have been injured as much as he was

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
Batsmen:

Greg Chappell
Tendulkar
Kim Hughes
Dravid
Dean Jones
Attapattu
Akmal
Richie Richardson

to name a few

Pace Bowlers:

Holding and Lillee by a mile
Donald
Lee
Andy Roberts

Spinners:

Warne
Abdul Qadir
Paul Adams .....hehehe

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
CURRENT TECH TEAM

1. Rahul Dravid :
I put his name because opening batsmen worldwide are deviating from technical perfection thanks to the needs of the limited over game, the increasing potential of getting away with it thanks to pitches as well as bowling standards. Rahul has opened and CAN open if he just decided he HAD to. If he wasnt the captain and had to do it to keep a place in the side, he would open and might surprise the world with what he would achieve.

2. Atapattu
3. Ponting :
4. Brian Lara
5. Jacque Kallis
6. Inzemam
7. Kamran Akmal
8. Shaun Pollock
9. Shane Warne
10. Bond
11. Glen McGrath