• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your dream commentary team

pasag

RTDAS
Benaud
Nicholas
Slater
Lawry (Gotta have a biased Vic in there).

Although Agnew beats all of them and quite easily at that. But I suppose he'll always stay on the radio.

Nishant

International 12th Man
Not to his face like that I'm sure...apart from the odd drunken idiot maybe....(no offence intended there Nishant)
None taken mate :)

I did feel a bit guilty after saying that to him...but it wasnt the first thing i said TBH. And i said it in the nicest possible way so that it came across as more of a joke than an insult. But..yh..u guys are right, i should hve been a bit nicer! im generally quite friendly TBH!

Last edited:

Fiery

Banned
sweet as mate...who hasn't said things they regret slightly afterwards? I'm sure he'll get over it. Time heals all wounds :laugh:

Slow Love™

International Captain
Peter Roebuck - Gun, brillliant wordsmith, always provides something different from the bias of a few of the other ABC crew.
Blasts from the past... :laugh: Do you still think the same, mate?

I had a tolerance for Roebuck at the time of this thread, but I have to say the majority of his material in the light of recent events probably killed my interest for his opinion completely.

JBMAC

State Captain
Top Six of all time:-

1. Richie Benaud
2. Allan McGilvray
3. John Arlott
4. Vic Richardson
5. Lindsay Hassett
6. Henry Blofeld

burr

State Vice-Captain
For radio, the form that really matters:
Ball-by-ball:
Lane
Agnew
CMJ
Special Comments:
KoK (not the hyped up version though, the version that can actually be fearless when being critical)
Vic Marks
Not sure of 6 atm

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
1. Richie Benaud
2. Bill Lawry
3. Michael Slater
4. David "Bumble" Lloyd
5. Jim Maxwell
6. Kerry O'Keefe

Honourable Mentions:- Nasser Hussain, Harsha Bhogle
Dishonourable Mentions:- Ranjit Fernando (He's hit it for four, no, its bowled him)

haroon510

International 12th Man
Sanjay Manjeraker
tony Graig
Ian Chappal
Micheal Holding
Waqar Younis
Ravi Shasteri

Last edited:

JBMAC

State Captain

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
If I had to choose a commentary team for the next Ashes series:

Richie Benaud
Michael Holding
Nasser Hussain
Ian Chappell
David Lloyd
Mark Slater
David Gower

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Sidhu the best i like this dude.. he is really funny.. the fact that he insulted boycotte made it better..

can anyone tell me who is this commentator? the one who is interviewing the other guy.. the guy who is wearing a red tie here in this clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPjcPB4mtf4&feature=related

i also like Sidhu, Robin Jackman and this guy..
Ian Brayshaw...pretty fair Cricketer in his own right[/QUOTE]

Sidhu is now a MP and i doubt he will return to commentary,but he was sacked by espnstar in 2003 as he was too emotional and could not contain his tongue.
One source told rediff.com there was a move to sack Sidhu, famous for his one-liners -- Sidhuisms -- for the last two months, because of two comments the Sardar made.

One was in April, during the Bangladesh-South Africa match in Dhaka. Sidhu got into a verbal spat with fellow commentator Alan Wilkins. He is said to have sworn at Wilkins, saying, 'Don't f*** around with me,' which was captured by one of the microphones and reported to the producer.

When contacted by rediff.com in Hong Kong, Wilkins refused to comment about the incident and said he is unaware about Sidhu's sacking.

A month later, at the ESPN school quiz prize-distribution ceremony in Kolkata, Sidhu compared the Board of Control for Cricket in India to a chameleon, saying it lacks in transparency.

His criticism of India skipper Sourav Ganguly during the World Cup in South Africa caused huge problems for the channel after most of the Indian players boycotted ESPN. Ganguly dismissed Sidhu as a joke after the commentator criticised him and the team on-air following the loss to Australia at the start of the World Cup campaign.

Sidhu earned his stripes with a commentary style that was his very own, though it often defied logic. His comments evoked laughter and generated a nationwide following.

"It is only after I left cricket that learnt the true meaning of self-belief. I started meditating for long hours. That is when all my ideas strike me," Sidhu told rediff.com in a telephone interview on Tuesday morning from his home in Patiala. "I keep a notebook next to me in which I write all the pure and pristine thoughts that I reflect on while meditating. That is what you hear in the commentary."

"I tried to cultivate a style of my very own, be original and unique," he said. "People liked that and they called it Sidhuisms. It is the voice of the people."
It is funny now that he called the indian selectors cowards for dropping ganguly anD laxman for this series.And if at the end of the series if you remind him of his mistake he will not tolerate it.

Here he chased aamir sohail with a bat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDlTY4Syimw&feature=related

A brash interview-
http://www.mumbai-central.com/nukkad/aug2002/msg00682.html

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Blasts from the past... :laugh: Do you still think the same, mate?

I had a tolerance for Roebuck at the time of this thread, but I have to say the majority of his material in the light of recent events probably killed my interest for his opinion completely.
Roebuck the commentator and Roebuck the columnist are like two different people.