• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your dream commentary team

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
MOST DISLIKED COMMENTATORS

Ian Smith - perhaps the world's worst person, after Richard Wilkins (and maybe Pat Symcox), and maybe the most biased commentator I've ever heard.
What an idiotic thing to say. Fine if you think he's biased, but to call him one of the world's worst people? I'd expect a hell of a lot better from you, SL.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Voltman said:
What an idiotic thing to say. Fine if you think he's biased, but to call him one of the world's worst people? I'd expect a hell of a lot better from you, SL.
I would have thought that given the tone of my post and the fact that I compared him to an entertainer and another cricketer, that it was a light-hearted remark. Who started your motor, Volts?

And I'm sensing some love for Smith in all the red mist, and surely that's twice as idiotic as anything I could have possibly said. :p

Slow Love™

International Captain
Jono said:
Two things worrying in this thread. The love for Boycott, and the continous misspelling of the word 'biased'.
Yes, one of my pet hates - using "bias" in all tenses, or the weirder "biast". It's also one of the most abused words at these forums anyway, even when spelled correctly - while sometimes it's the case, just about any strong opinion that's based on completely rational reasoning gets derided as outrageous bias round here. Then there's the whole "you're from X country, so obviously...." thing.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
I would have thought that given the tone of my post and the fact that I compared him to an entertainer and another cricketer, that it was a light-hearted remark. Who started your motor, Volts?

And I'm sensing some love for Smith in all the red mist, and surely that's twice as idiotic as anything I could have possibly said. :p
I just find it utterly laughable to hear you Australians call him biased when we have to put up with the rubbish from Lawry year after year. I can't provide specific examples because I'm lazy, but if a fielder from Australia and a fielder from, say, England dropped identical catches, the contrast is startling. The Australian fielder "was desperately unlucky, and it was a difficult chance" while the English fielder is reprimanded for his "poor effort and you can't afford to drop those against Australia".

Slow Love™

International Captain
Voltman said:
I just find it utterly laughable to hear you Australians call him biased when we have to put up with the rubbish from Lawry year after year. I can't provide specific examples because I'm lazy, but if a fielder from Australia and a fielder from, say, England dropped identical catches, the contrast is startling. The Australian fielder "was desperately unlucky, and it was a difficult chance" while the English fielder is reprimanded for his "poor effort and you can't afford to drop those against Australia".
Can't see what that's got to do with what I said, but Lawry did make my list of most disliked, and I described him as "atrocious and something of a tragic figure". So it's not like I'm elevating him to any exalted (or respected) status while I diss Smith. I reckon Chappelli's worse than Bill when it comes to what you describe though.

What I dislike about Smith is that he's as parochial as Bumble (only more obnoxious), but completely loses interest once it looks like NZ won't win the game.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
MOST DISLIKED COMMENTATORS

David "Bumble" Lloyd - If I wanted to listen to "special people"... Well, let's just leave it at I don't.
:@ Your name vill also go on zee list!

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
The ones I certainly detest are :

Bill Lawry - speaks & pontificates a lot of drivel all these years - has a knock of keeping his "nose" afloat

Henry Blofeld : more interested in describing the ear rings and other 'pretty things' than cricket

Many of the former test cricketers who suffer from the delusion that being competent to play for yr country also translates to competency with the mike a huge number from Kris Shrikkanth , Paul Allott , Mike Haysman et al - MAY YOUR TRIBE DECREASE

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kerry O'Keefe - Despite the fact that he's the larrikin and all, he does provide some great insight to the game imo. Makes things interesting thats for sure. A great analyst as well, his analogies at the end of a days play are always well thought out and is generally spot on the money.

Michael Slater - In only a short career behind the mic he's quickly overtaken far more experience caimpaigners in the channel 9 box. Top commentator, does his best to avoid biasness, and provides something fresh instead of the dull tones from Mr. Greig & Lawry.

Peter Roebuck - Gun, brillliant wordsmith, always provides something different from the bias of a few of the other ABC crew.

Harshe Bhogle(sp?) - Harshe & Kerry in the box together make a brilliant combination. Always look fowards to hearing his commentary during Aust. vs. India series'.

Jonathon Agnew - Original, love his accent, and like O'Keffe, a great analyst.

The final choice was a hard 1 for me, but i had to go with Richie Benaudfor the reason alone that he is the greatest ever commentator imo and in the eyes of many others. His ability to simply add to the game, instead of just repeating what we already know is unmatched.

Belinda Clark was unlucky to not get in my top 6. I've thoroughly enjoyed listening to her bring a different perspective to the ABC team over the last 2 years, and look foward to hearing more of her work behind the mic.

Of those who i dislike... Geoff Lawson, Terry Alderman Ian Chappell, Bill Lawry, Tony Greig, Mark Nicholas, Damien Fleming & Peter Walsh.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Goughy said:
Wildly innaccurate statement. Boycott has been unpopular with many England players for being overly critical of them. He has always had thoughts on the game being played and for many years they were heavily critical of England.
He has mellowed a bit in his old age but is still proud to follow the strong tradition of his countymen of "calling a spade a spade"
In Boyc's case, it's more of "calling a spade a bloody shovel" :laugh:

Anyway, my ideal team would be:

* Richie Benaud
* Jonathon Agnew
* Michael Holding
* Henry Blofeld. TMS would not be the same without him :D His description of the grounds make you feel a part of it.

+ a couple of others, but I can't decide atm.

Merv

Banned
Poor commentators...

Hussein (Probably the most dour ever, repeats himself all the time)
Dermot Reeve (Makes Botham look impartial and is obnoxious with it)
Slater
Botham (Bias)
David Lloyd (Embarrassing clown)

The good one's are.

Bob Willis (unbias, loves the way he rips into England scathingly)
Mark Nicholas (So extreme it's hilarious)
Boycott (Loner and doesn't give a toss)
Shane Warne (was good during his ban)
Gower (Quick wit)

Indifferent.

Cozier (Don't dispute his knowledge, Just comes accross as boring)
Benaut (Overrated just because he's old and been around forever)
Holding (Hate how he makes a point about someone, then says their name afterwards. E.G. Been very short of bowling...(long pause)...Steve Harmisson.
Lawry
Atherton (Decent rookie)
Tony Greig

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't know what the big thing about not liking Tony Greig is, I reckon he's perhaps not the best commentator around but quite good to listen to.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Merv said:
Poor commentators...

Hussein (Probably the most dour ever, repeats himself all the time)
Dermot Reeve (Makes Botham look impartial and is obnoxious with it)
Slater
Botham (Bias)
David Lloyd (Embarrassing clown)

The good one's are.

Bob Willis (unbias, loves the way he rips into England scathingly)
Mark Nicholas (So extreme it's hilarious)
Boycott (Loner and doesn't give a toss)
Shane Warne (was good during his ban)
Gower (Quick wit)

Indifferent.

Cozier (Don't dispute his knowledge, Just comes accross as boring)
Benaut (Overrated just because he's old and been around forever)
Holding (Hate how he makes a point about someone, then says their name afterwards. E.G. Been very short of bowling...(long pause)...Steve Harmisson.
Lawry
Atherton (Decent rookie)
Tony Greig
Bob Willis has a fan :-O