• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your dream commentary team

Nuts

Cricket Spectator
I'm a big fan of Lloydy. He's brilliant when he's doing the county games for Sky in the summer, especially when Lancs are on.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
I just can't handle Bill Lawry after I saw an NZ vs Aus game where won fell on his face fielding the ball when Aussie were in trouble and he came up with this gem

"Oh Warne. What an entertainer this man is!"

I mean, he fell over. Come on!

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Francis said:
New Zealanders should not commentate!
So we shouldn't umpire or commentate...is there anything you will allow us to do? Or are we just too inadequate?

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
_Ed_ said:
So we shouldn't umpire or commentate...is there anything you will allow us to do? Or are we just too inadequate?
Play. We shouldn't play either. It's just a ridiculous expectation. But Windies, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, and Kenya should.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh right. You see, my inferior not quite fully-developed brain couldn't even comprehend that possibility. Well done.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
It's Ok. Half mine fell out of my ear before and I keep on typing things like kfhjsdnm rhdklshi trying to spell Stephen Fleming.

Oh dear. There goes the rest of it! Better go shag a sheep now.

Here Baaaaarbara!

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
surely you cant be serious about greg? one of the most boring commentators ive ever heard and his knowledge of the game IMO is quite low too. if anything its his brother Ian whos actually anything worth listening to in the family.
well i never heard him live but i'm judging on listening to him duirng the DVD's of WI vs AUS 91 & 92/93 & the story of the ashes where he is heard in couple ashes series in the early 90's and he sounded pretty good.

tooextracool

International Coach
aussie said:
well i never heard him live but i'm judging on listening to him duirng the DVD's of WI vs AUS 91 & 92/93 & the story of the ashes where he is heard in couple ashes series in the early 90's and he sounded pretty good.
i had the unfortunate experience of listening to him during the Australia v India series in 2003/04 and from what i heard off him i didnt like him one bit. and i dont think india picking him as their coach was the right way to go either.

howardj

International Coach
Regarding Kiwi commentators....Martin Crowe and Jeremy Coney are good value. Though, I think Crowe is now just the Executive Producer, and has given the commentary away.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
who is Henry Blofeld?
He is an obnoxious (lovable some may say) Englishman who laughs at his own efforts at humour before he has finished what he was saying. Who is an expert on ear rings particularly if worn by pretty women with low hemlines - preferably none at all, even more particularly at Sharjah :)

I think he is fun, in small doses, and very tolerable when compared oh-my-Gawd Siddhu :)

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
1 - Benaud
2 - Greig
3 - Slats
4 - Nicholas
5 - Holding

On the first two, I dunno, I may sound unpopular, but I grew up listening to these two most of the time. Whenever I hear them commentate I feel more comfortable than the others. I guess I'm not too good at trying new things :p.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Haven't heard too much overseas commentary, so:

1 Richie Benaud
2 Geoff Boycott
3 Nasser Hussain
4 Tony Greig
5 David Gower
6 David Lloyd (can't believe he isn't in more of these, anyone who's listened to him in a dull county OD game knows he can brighten up any poor match)

Do any Brits here who have heard Peter Brackley's football commentary (bloke who used to do Football Italia on C4) reckon he would sound good as a cricket commentator? My all-time favourite football commentator anyway.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nasser is good

Too many cricket commentators are pretentious. When I started watching cricket, I had little understanding of the game, and the commentary doesn't help this. I'm not saying they should speak to everyone like idiots, but some of them can get too wrapped up in it all sometimes. Channel 4 did a great job last summer, there were plenty of new cricket fans watching and I honestly think the commentators helped an awful lot because they tended not to over complicate things.