Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Your dream commentary team

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis
    Huh? Did I say he was popular etc?

All I said was that he's biased toward English players. Which he is. Does he criticise them? Yep. But he's all happy when they're winning and was brimming during the 5th test with belief England would win.

Botham's a bit like that. He was criticising Geriant Jones on Sky time and time again in the 1st and 2nd tests when he missed crucial stumpings and dropped many catches. Yet Beefy felt obliged to complement him later on in the Ashes. One minute he's criticising him, the next he's loved.

Bill Lawry talks about droppings and criticises his team. Yet when they're winning the player he criticises is the best thing since sliced bread.

In all cases, both men love their team and will show bias toward them... when they're winning.
    He is not biased towards England players. He has being critical of them in the past to a far greater degree than the opponents. Why? because the opposition have generally been the better team.

So he gloated during the Ashes..so what? It was a one off series that the whole nation got caught up in. If you look at his body of work he has been anything but biased.

Sure he may want England to win, but he has generally been impartial and praised the players that live up to is own high standards with no regard for which team they play for.

Boycott has been commentating for a couple of generations of England teams and you are calling him out for one test.
    Last edited by Goughy; 20-03-2006 at 09:03 AM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

What do biast people do when their team loses? They look for a scapegoat. They believe their team is the best and will find excuses and people to put the blame on.

International Coach
    Assuming this is current, then there's no way I'd have Benaud. I think he's lost it.

Boycott, Slater, Atherton are all good ones, and I also like Gower. I also quite like Taylor.

I don't know too much about commentators other than those from England, Australia and South Africa, all I know is that I hate most of the South Africans, save maybe Donald. I find that they're all incredibly biassed.
    Last edited by Tom Halsey; 20-03-2006 at 09:55 AM.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

What do biast people do when their team loses? They look for a scapegoat. They believe their team is the best and will find excuses and people to put the blame on.
    What! Boycott has seldom looked for scapegoats and he certainly does not beleive England have or are the best team. Boycott has throughout his career blamed Englands losses on a lack of talent, a lack of preparation, a lack of dedication and poor training regimes. Nearly always blamed Englands lack of success on Englands failings which have been very accurate observations. These are not excuses to explain why the team is not performing to potential but reasons why they are not a good team. It is the opposite of biased to breakdown the failings of the team and the system and explain why they are not very good.

Boycott has never found excuses and he has always been Englands biggest critic. He is not blaming others for a lack of success but those that cross the white line. That is called expecting personal accountability rather than scapegoating.

How long have you been listening to him and how often?
    Last edited by Goughy; 20-03-2006 at 10:06 AM.

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey
    all I know is that I hate most of the South Africans, save maybe Donald. I find that they're all incredibly biassed.
    I agree. They have horrible accents, too.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey
    I don't know too much about commentators other than those from England, Australia and South Africa, all I know is that I hate most of the South Africans, save maybe Donald. I find that they're all incredibly biassed.
    I can handle Barry Richards. The rest are awful though - easily the most biased commentators in the world. When Australia made their 400+ score they spent the first 20 overs talking about how lucky Australia was not to lose early wickets, then the next 25 overs talking about how flat the pitch was, and the last 5 overs in mourning. I don't mind a little bit of home bias, so long as it doesn't get in the way of commenting on the game in a constructive way, but when everything is about how the home team has been screwed over or the other team is lucky or how it's "sad" that someone from the opposition is playing well or something... it's just irritating.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

How long have you been listening to him and how often?
    Years.

Boycott has throughout his career blamed Englands losses on a lack of talent, a lack of preparation, a lack of dedication and poor training regimes.
    Like I said, excuses.

Years.

Like I said, excuses.
    Well if they are excuses what are the reasons, in your opinion, for Englands long term failure during Boycotts tenure in the booth?

Since when has an excuse for failure been that the team is not good enough. It is not biased when you have a realistic appraisal of a topic. An excuse is used to explain something that could in your opinion easily have had a different outcome. Boycott has always looked deeper than this and never waved off a failure with a simple excuse.

Biased definition: To cause to have often negative opinions formed without sufficient knowledge. A preference or an inclination, especially one that inhibits impartial judgment.

Boycott is a realist with high standards. He may be concentrated on England but his opinions are not pro-England. In fact many of his criticisms of England in the 90s have been indirectly adopted to form the basis of the current England system.

Did you know what the word biased meant before using it?

Pat Symcox is biased but Boycott is not
    Last edited by Goughy; 20-03-2006 at 10:34 AM.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!

Off the cuff

Benaud (of old)
    Boycott
    Nasser Hussain
    Slater
    Atherton
    Ian Chappell
    Holding

Slater
    Atherton
    Boycott
    Gower
    Manjrekar
    Ian Chappell

My fav commentator is Dean Jones.
    RIP BOB WOOLMER

International Captain
    I'm going for an all time team.

Richie Benaud
    John Arlott
    Jim Laker
    Alan Mcgilvray
    Tony Cosier
    Fred Trueman - at his wittiest best, not the stuck in the past old fool of later years.

I don't think a lot of the current commentators like Gower and Botham actually enjoy their work, it's just that cricket is the only thing they know and they need to earn a living.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson
    I'm going for an all time team.

Richie Benaud
    John Arlott
    Jim Laker
    Alan Mcgilvray
    Tony Cosier
    Fred Trueman - at his wittiest best, not the stuck in the past old fool of later years.

I don't think a lot of the current commentators like Gower and Botham actually enjoy their work, it's just that cricket is the only thing they know and they need to earn a living.
    THAT truly is a dream team !! Bravo.

I would have added Brian Johnston to that.

1. Nasser Hussain
    2. Michael Atherton
    3. Dean Jones
    4. Robin Jackman
    5. Sanjay Manjrekar
    Member of LSU (bowl part time pies)

RIP Fardin

Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    THAT truly is a dream team !! Bravo.
    John Arlott was the voice of cricket for me. His words and the tone of his voice were perfect. Still sorely missed after all these years.

With Johnston gone and Cosier and Benaud reaching an elderly stage which of the modern guys will take over their mantle as legendary cricketing voices?
    Last edited by Goughy; 20-03-2006 at 11:19 AM.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information