• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Oops My Bad

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Aus vs NZ Brisbane declaration was nearly a disaster for Aus. Though probably not worth being in the list (since NZ didn't win)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Easily the Boucher/Pollock one, but the WI promoting the tail for no damn reason in the 96 WC comes close.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'll nominate Fanie De Villiers for braining "Deadly" Devon Malcolm, which produced his infamous "You guys are history" response & the bowling performance of his life.

archie mac

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
I'll nominate Fanie De Villiers for braining "Deadly" Devon Malcolm, which produced his infamous "You guys are history" response & the bowling performance of his life.
Devon certainly did as he named his biography 'You Guys Are History'

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've been of the opinion and always will that Hussain's decision to field at The 'Gabba in 2002\03 was the right one.
Never knew about the Greig-Lillee incident... not dissimilar to the Smith-Australia one of late.
I can't believe the Boycott-Brearley thing - even though it was a final - supersedes the Gavaskar 36*.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
Neither that unexpected blow nor Michael Atherton's roasting probably made the slightest difference. It was just as likely to be one of his days - he was like that as a bowler.
Nor was the "you guys are history" anything but an apocryphal story - ask Goughie (who was at the other end).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
chalky said:
Toney Grieg promising to make the Windies grovel
I have to say I think that probably supersedes Lillee - not only because it caused a home, rather than away, loss, but also because it was condescending, thoughtless and insensitive.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
Go on then; I'll bite.

Why?
Stephen Waugh would've fielded too.
If England had batted, I'm willing to bet quite a bit that McGrath and Gillespie would've knocked 'em over.
Hussain would then probably have been criticised, but not anywhere near as much as he has been the way things have happened.
Cricket is bedevilled with outdated analogies. People who make a mistake in fielding are invariably pilloried fifty-times-over compared to those who've made a mistake in batting. Due to the ancient (and no longer applicable) wisdom that batting first is almost invariably the right decision.
Somehow, fielding first is always "negative", whereas batting first pretty much never is.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Indeed, and that's all that matters for mine.
I bet pretty much everyone (except the headline-writers) wishes that coin had landed tails.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Australia picking Mick Lewis over Jason Gillespie is certainly the worst selection call I have ever seen.. If that counts