• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will the West Indies ever rise again?

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Westindies over the last 15 years have had some very promising fast bowlers like Dillion,Rose,Cuffy, Collins, Collymore, Edward,Tayloy, Roach who for one reason or another could not reach the next level like the 70-90 generation.
This happens for a variety of reasons. Taylor had all the talent you could possibly want but didn't have the work ethic to match. Edwards was too obsessed with bowling quickly even though he was much more effective when concentrating on 140kph outswingers (i.e no cricket intelligence). Roach is an outstanding fast bowler statistically and in terms of skills but injuries destroyed his career.

I guess Alzari Joseph and Miguel Cummins are the next two. Joseph in particular looks exceptional for his age, rather like Rabada did, but our track record of converting talent into productivity is dreadful.

Beamer

This is the first time I've seen somebody talking up prospective umpiring talent.

I tell ya what, we'll trade Sam Nogajski and Paul Wilson?
Umpiring in the Caribbean is absolutely disgraceful, if a spinner hits your pads you're given out. I'd swap our umpires any day!

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
were Collins, Cuffy and Colleymore really ever expected to be that great? I know Rose is another story

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Look out for this kid: Bhaskar Yadram (my fellow Guyanese), only 17 years old and is already showing immense signs of maturity.

He's already made FC and List A debut

mr_mister

My first international game I ever attended, Lara got a duck and Nixon Mclean smashed 40 with like 8 fours

was funny looking back

ImpatientLime

International Regular
nixon mcclean was absolute trash.

i guess he is from the caribbean and a quick bowler so we have to elevate him a few rungs by default as we seem to with all west indian fast bowlers.

mr_mister

i guess he is from the caribbean and a quick bowler so we have to elevate him a few rungs by default as we seem to with all west indian fast bowlers.

really? i cant think of any who debuted from 1990 to now that have been elevated in any way by hindsight when discussing them

if you're talking about the 70s/80s crop then surely all of them deserve the praise they got?

Beamer

were Collins, Cuffy and Colleymore really ever expected to be that great? I know Rose is another story
Collins and Cuffy no, they were going to be decent at best.

Collymore however was a big loss, as a youngster he was 140kph plus with perfect seem presentation and each way movement. Unfortunately a serious stress fracture of the back caused him to change his action and his pace reduced to 130kph. He was still a decent international bowler though without being exceptional.

Beamer

really? i cant think of any who debuted from 1990 to now that have been elevated in any way by hindsight when discussing them

if you're talking about the 70s/80s crop then surely all of them deserve the praise they got?
Yeah I really don't understand ImpatientLime's comment tbh. Are we not allowed to get excited by young West Indian fast bowlers anymore just because we've had an awful lot of rubbish ones since the 90's? If so I'm not sure why I'm still following cricket because I need something to get excited about. Watching Under 19 cricketers emerge is one of the main reasons I've been able to maintain my enthusiasm during these very dark years. The fact we do still have exceptional talent coming through (even if we have no idea how to turn it into international standard cricketers) keeps the flame flickering.

Beamer

I honestly cannot remember seeing Nixon move the ball off the seam once. It was 140kph straight onto the middle of the bat. Painful.

vcs

Yeah, I thought Collymore was OK. Won WI a tri-series final against India once in Zimbabwe. Also Jermaine Lawson bowled well against us once, wonder what happened to him.

SillyCowCorner1

Yeah, I thought Collymore was OK. Won WI a tri-series final against India once in Zimbabwe. Also Jermaine Lawson bowled well against us once, wonder what happened to him.
They called Lawson for chucking and his life was never the same ever since.

ImpatientLime

International Regular

Westindies over the last 15 years have had some very promising fast bowlers like Dillion,Rose,Cuffy, Collins,Collymore,Edward,Tayloy, Roach who for one reason or another could not reach the next level like the 70-90 generation.
the idea that these were blokes who were very promising and just failed to fulfil their potential and not just average to begin with is what i'm talking about.

the only one i give a pass to is roach as he looked legitimately good for more than a fleeting moment. the rest did what they did at international level because thats all they were worth.

Last edited: