• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will the West Indies ever rise again?

Victor Ian

International Coach
You are grossly overestimating how much the casual fan cares about International cricket.

Based off the successes of the IPL, Big Bash and whatever the English T20 thing is called now, I think all three cricket boards realise they dont need other countries to help them earn money.
I have no idea how much the casual fan cares about international cricket. The only feedback I get about cricket fans is from this forum and you guys all care. But, in any competition, you need a certain number of competitive teams before people will care and these teams must be evenly (vaguely) funded to remain competitive. If the big three make all their money from T20 and let only a few teams dominate in these local comps, they will also lose the interest of fans.

91Jmay

International Coach
You are grossly overestimating how much the casual fan cares about International cricket.

Based off the successes of the IPL, Big Bash and whatever the English T20 thing is called now, I think all three cricket boards realise they dont need other countries to help them earn money.
For England and Australia the Ashes is still an enormous money spinner but yeah generally domestic T20 makes plenty of money.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I do think their test side is slightly on the up they will not be winning major test series but they will have a good game here and there. I do think they will give England a scare in one of the games. I like some of their upcoming test batsmen Shai Hope, RostonChase and Dowich all have in them to be decent test players and if you add Darren Bravo in here its a pretty good middle order.Not to forget Shannon Gabriel who when he gets it right can run through any batting line up.

I believe there current test side is the best since Post Lara.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I do think their test side is slightly on the up they will not be winning major test series but they will have a good game here and there. I do think they will give England a scare in one of the games. I like some of their upcoming test batsmen Shai Hope, RostonChase and Dowich all have in them to be decent test players and if you add Darren Bravo in here its a pretty good middle order.Not to forget Shannon Gabriel who when he gets it right can run through any batting line up.

I believe there current test side is the best since Post Lara.
Add Blackwood

Brathwaite
Opener
Bravo
Chase
Bravo
Holder

That's a decent test line up, one of the strongest they have had in years

fishyguy

U19 12th Man
As a WI fan since I was a baby sadly I dont see any hope. They have been declining since 1992. I see more hope in BD and AFG than Windies. IN BD they all cricket mad like India/pak and 170 million the players are superstars, Plenty of financial investments and sponsorship. Dont see Ireland doing much either. Zimbabwe unsure they did decent in SL.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As a Windies fan from since I was a baby, I know that our cricket will rise again. The youths are more engaged with the game more than ever. We recently won the Under 19 World Cup.

A

Slifer

International Captain
WI IMO won't be a top 3 side anytime soon but they can and have the potential to improve. They will probably still get smashed away vs all teams and be competitive at home vs all other teams not named Australia, India or RSA. The most recent developments with the board is a step in the right direction, however, I do feel that 20/20 is reducing our batmens ability to play long innings.

CarlsbergXpress

U19 Vice-Captain
As a Windies fan from since I was a baby, I know that our cricket will rise again. The youths are more engaged with the game more than ever. We recently won the Under 19 World Cup.

A
I certainly hope so, my formative years were spent watching WI fast bowlers smashing our best batsmen. I hated it at the time, but admired almost as much also.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For England and Australia the Ashes is still an enormous money spinner but yeah generally domestic T20 makes plenty of money.
True enough but in England at least the whole game is based around the national team and I don't think that will change.

Probably a long shot but they may be a top test team in the next five years or so primarily because they are not producing any flat pitches! Gonna have some killer batsmen and spinners, however express fastmen maybe low but globally fast bowlers at 150kph are rare!

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Probably a long shot but they may be a top test team in the next five years or so primarily because they are not producing any flat pitches! Gonna have some killer batsmen and spinners, however express fastmen maybe low but globally fast bowlers at 150kph are rare!
Isn't the lack of proper pitches part of the reason why they're not doing well atm? Random spinners taking bags and bags of wickets?

WindieWeathers

International Regular
We've just won an u19 world cup which produced the likes of Joseph and Hetmyer. And now a new bunch has just beaten South Africa away in a series. Maybe, just maybe, the penny is starting to drop and we might be on the verge of producing a few decent players for the future.