• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will the West Indies ever rise again?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's no doubt that "emergence" happens less these days than it used to. The amount of talent required is the same, but the amount you need to do to harness it is more now than ever.

You can't just turn-up from The Bush the way Thomson did, and return from injury when everyone thought you were finished the way Lillee did, in 1974/75, any more. Cricket just doesn't work that way.

Strong domestic and grass-roots competitions are of course getting more and more important than ever these days. They were always essential, but they're simply exclusively essential now - ie, you won't get by without.

Unless you're Pakistan, obviously. But they've got other problems apart from how to produce players currently.

sudhindra9

School Boy/Girl Captain
West Indies have a very Gud side

RR Sarwan
C Gayle
D Ramdin
C Baugh
D Mohammed
N Miller
S Chanderpaul
S Chattergoon
Dwayne Smith
Devon Smith
D Bravo
D Powell
J Taylor
P Collins
S Benn
B Nash
F Edwards
R Morton
K Pollard
D Sammy
R Rampaul
B Parchment
I Bradshaw
D Ganga
K Roach
X Marshall
L Simmons
A Richards
M Samuels
R Hinds
P Browne
T Best

All the best to the Windies

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year

RR Sarwan
C Gayle
D Ramdin
C Baugh
D Mohammed
N Miller
S Chanderpaul
S Chattergoon
Dwayne Smith
Devon Smith
D Bravo
D Powell
J Taylor
P Collins
S Benn
B Nash
F Edwards
R Morton
K Pollard
D Sammy
R Rampaul
B Parchment
I Bradshaw
D Ganga
K Roach
X Marshall
L Simmons
A Richards
M Samuels
R Hinds
P Browne
T Best

What? No Amit Jaggernauth!?:@

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I for one hope they do; cricket needs a strong Windies team. When I first got interested in cricket (mid 80s I guess) it seemed incomprehensible that England could ever win a test series against them, such was their pre-eminence. In the event I had to wait another decade-and-a-half to see it, but such has been their fall it would be something of a shock if they even took a test off us now.

I only know what I've seen in the media: that American sports and Football have made ever increasing in-roads into West Indian youth culture, but it would be a terrible shame if the Windies cannot recover as a force again. How to make it happen? I don’t know.
:ph34r:

Oh, dear. Such has been our decline in the 3 years since I made that post that the Windies beating us wasn't actually all that much of a shock after all.

shivfan

Banned
:ph34r:

Oh, dear. Such has been our decline in the 3 years since I made that post that the Windies beating us wasn't actually all that much of a shock after all.
:laugh:
Good memory....

Yeah, I feel the WI have come on as a team quite a bit, since Lara retired.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's more since after Lara retired. The first post-Lara series was as wretched if not fractionally more so than anything 1997/98-2006/07 was.

ImpatientLime

International Regular

RR Sarwan
C Gayle
D Ramdin
C Baugh
D Mohammed
N Miller
S Chanderpaul
S Chattergoon
Dwayne Smith
Devon Smith
D Bravo
D Powell
J Taylor
P Collins
S Benn
B Nash
F Edwards
R Morton
K Pollard
D Sammy
R Rampaul
B Parchment
I Bradshaw
D Ganga
K Roach
X Marshall
L Simmons
A Richards
M Samuels
R Hinds
P Browne
T Best

this lot might be able to get past the 200 mark if picked for the second test.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Yes they will. Just like Indian hockey West Indies cricket will rise again.

For the love of Social, Burgey and Dan and all good Aussie boys on this forum, STREWTH THEY WILL !!!

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
Could you tell me how long does it take from Jamaica to Belize? And is it possible for Belize to join the West Indies?

Victor Ian

International Coach
Just a stupid thought. Test cricket keeps on moving more and more into Limited Overs technique cricket, which is more and more progressing towards T20 technique cricket. So, as the Windies are World T20 Champions and half way decent at it, eventually the world will move towards playing their brand of cricket and this is when their next phase of dominance will start.

I dislike that West Indies (and the others for that sake) are getting stiffed in terms of monetary payouts, which hurts their ability to retail talent. Let's just let India play Australia and England for the next 10 years straight. Suck every dollar out of it and then see how meaningless and boring they become and how interest dwindles. We need variety in cricket and this means you pay the Others equal share of profits as they are part of the reason Australia, England and India reap in so much. It is exciting by way of being the big draw-card teams playing off. The Capitalist mindset sort of misses this point.

Spark

Global Moderator
Just a stupid thought. Test cricket keeps on moving more and more into Limited Overs technique cricket, which is more and more progressing towards T20 technique cricket. So, as the Windies are World T20 Champions and half way decent at it, eventually the world will move towards playing their brand of cricket and this is when their next phase of dominance will start.

I dislike that West Indies (and the others for that sake) are getting stiffed in terms of monetary payouts, which hurts their ability to retail talent. Let's just let India play Australia and England for the next 10 years straight. Suck every dollar out of it and then see how meaningless and boring they become and how interest dwindles. We need variety in cricket and this means you pay the Others equal share of profits as they are part of the reason Australia, England and India reap in so much. It is exciting by way of being the big draw-card teams playing off. The Capitalist mindset sort of misses this point.
No it isn't.

cnerd123

likes this
You are grossly overestimating how much the casual fan cares about International cricket.

Based off the successes of the IPL, Big Bash and whatever the English T20 thing is called now, I think all three cricket boards realise they dont need other countries to help them earn money.

Shady Slim

International Coach
there's probably a chris gayle joke in the thread title somewhere that i don't want to indulge in fully