• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will the West Indies ever rise again?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Did I see someone say Nixon McLean was quite good? What next, Daren Powell?

I remember a few years that Jerome Taylor always used to receive large amounts of hype on certain parts of the internet, I think on the basis of one performance rather than demonstrated class as a bowler, although his figures aren't actually that bad as for a current WI bowler.

Roach has been really disappointing though, with the injuries and loss of ability.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Nixon McLean somehow managed to play 17 Tests without getting more than 3 wickets in an innings even once. Whenever I saw him bowl he never seemed to swing or seam any deliveries and it wasn’t like he was express pace.

Speaking of Powell, how did he manage to play so many Tests? It’s not like his FC record is particularly impressive.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
God the West Indies Wheel of Mediocrity is almost as bad as the Indian one.
TBF, that applies when the West Indies have been very mediocre on the whole. When they were good it was the Wheel of Brilliance.

Flem274*

123/5
Jerome Taylor became a quality bowler after a shaky start but as soon as he got good he became absurdly injury prone. He and Roach a few years ago could have developed into an excellent pairing but it wasn't to be. Definitely doesn't deserve to be sniffed at.

Darren Powell though...

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Re: Mervyn Dillon, imo of those West Indian quicks from that era he was the one you felt should’ve had a better Test career than he did. Could bowl some quality leg-cutters and was pretty impressive when he toured Australia in 2000/01.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
the idea that these were blokes who were very promising and just failed to fulfil their potential and not just average to begin with is what i'm talking about.

the only one i give a pass to is roach as he looked legitimately good for more than a fleeting moment. the rest did what they did at international level because thats all they were worth.
God the West Indies Wheel of Mediocrity is almost as bad as the Indian one.
TBF, that applies when the West Indies have been very mediocre on the whole. When they were good it was the Wheel of Brilliance.
There's a reason why I tell people that I'm cautiously optimistic about a pace trio of Gabriel, Cummins, Joseph and invariably the response is "dude they had Holding, Marshall, Roberts, Ambrose and you're getting excited about Gabriel, Cummins and Joseph?' People tend to forget just what we've had to deal with since Ambrose and Walsh retired.

There's a reason why I tell people that I'm cautiously optimistic about a pace trio of Gabriel, Cummins, Joseph and invariably the response is "dude they had Holding, Marshall, Roberts, Ambrose and you're getting excited about Gabriel, Cummins and Joseph?' People tend to forget just what we've had to deal with since Ambrose and Walsh retired.
Gabriel is injury prone, Cummins a medium pace at that and Joseph also.