• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's heard of Roy Gilchrist?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard said:
After reading this it's intregued me... and I don't mean our Pakistani forum-member who uses the name as his screenname... I mean the West Indian seamer who was something bordering on a disgrace to the game.
So far as I expected... most of the hardcore users who know their cricket have heard of him... but still if you search the history of this forum I'd reckon you'd hear his name only occasionally.
I've certainly never been in any discussion regarding him.

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
I think the 'hit' clause in the law is less than 100 years old. Incidents of 6 byes could have happened in the very early days of cricket.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tapioca said:
I think the 'hit' clause in the law is less than 100 years old. Incidents of 6 byes could have happened in the very early days of cricket.
The opposite was the case.

In the early days, even of test cricket, you didn't get six for hitting the ball over the boundary on the full - it had to be struck out of the ground.

The award of six for hitting the ball over the ropes is less than 100 years old - it came in during 1910.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
The opposite was the case.

In the early days, even of test cricket, you didn't get six for hitting the ball over the boundary on the full - it had to be struck out of the ground.

The award of six for hitting the ball over the ropes is less than 100 years old - it came in during 1910.
Thats right. Probably the biggest hit ever in the game, certainly the biggest at Lord's actually went clear over the pavillion and STILL was not give as a six since beyond the pavillion were the tennis courts (into one of which fell this ball) and the wall of the "ground" was beyond these tennis courts :)

Imagine having to bowl a bouncer (or knocking up with your batting pads) a ball so high as to clear the pavillion at Lords, clear the cluster of tennis courts beyond that and the wall beyond the courts. Now that would be some bouncer :)

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Looking through the old versions of laws in cricketarchive, the 'hit' clause first appears in the 1947 draft of laws. That still leaves a considerable time for a someone to do '6 byes' :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, but - only between 1910 and 1946 (can't actually remember when Gilchrist's career was).

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tapioca said:
Looking through the old versions of laws in cricketarchive, the 'hit' clause first appears in the 1947 draft of laws. That still leaves a considerable time for a someone to do '6 byes' :)
You can argue that one until you are blue in the breasts - it doesn't change the fact that it never happened.

Someone asked Bearders the same question last year - and if he said it never happened, I'm happy to go along with that.

Scroll down a bit - second question I think

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Btw, in that Bearders link the very first answer is wrong. The Jackson referred to in the song is Archie Jackson ;)