• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Battle for Number 2 (no pun intended)

Tom Halsey

International Coach
England are rubbish in the subcontinent. Away from there, we've won however many series it is in a row. We've won several of those series away...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Neil Pickup said:
India won't ever be #2 to me until they can win something away from the subcontinent.
Agreed. We have trips to West Indies and South Africa coming up. They need to win in WI and tie in SA for me to put India at #2.

And if they follow it up with at least a tie in ENGLAND in 2007, that will cement their #2 for me.

Right now, it's:

1) Australia
2) Pakistan
3) India/England

Pakistan because winning 2-0 and 1-0 respectively (even at home) is a pretty strong indication.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
What about South Africa? Got beaten by England admittedly, but I'd say they'd be in the running as much as Pakistan and India.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Looking at the contenders for 2nd place, every side has a batsman averaging 50 or close to apart from England.

We have an awesome bowling attack when everyone's fit, but not enough quality batting wise to suceed in the sub-continent.

South Africa are a good side, but Pollock is on his last legs and they don't have another world class bowler to replace him, though they do have amazing batting with Kallis, Smith, Gibbs and DeVilliers.

Pakistan and India are the main contenders as i see it, with Pakistan favourite out of the two.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
open365 said:
Looking at the contenders for 2nd place, every side has a batsman averaging 50 or close to apart from England.

We have an awesome bowling attack when everyone's fit, but not enough quality batting wise to suceed in the sub-continent.

South Africa are a good side, but Pollock is on his last legs and they don't have another world class bowler to replace him, though they do have amazing batting with Kallis, Smith, Gibbs and DeVilliers.

Pakistan and India are the main contenders as i see it, with Pakistan favourite out of the two.
Some good points there, totally agree.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
India won't ever be #2 to me until they can win something away from the subcontinent.
Why not, I think they would be as long as they dont lose the series. You paint the subcontinent pitches with one brush as if pitches are exactly same in India-Pakistan-Srilanka. 8-)

With that logic one can also say that England will never be no. 2 unless they win a series in subcontinent.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Sanz said:
Why not, I think they would be as long as they dont lose the series. You paint the subcontinent pitches with one brush as if pitches are exactly same in India-Pakistan-Srilanka. 8-)

With that logic one can also say that England will never be no. 2 unless they win a series in subcontinent.
Erm...isn't that the most logical statement ever?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sanz said:
I think they can't, no. India have to win outside the subcontinent and England have to win in it.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well England have beaten Australia recently, let no one forget that and if and when they beat Pakistan in the summer they will be the 2nd best team

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well, India not only beat Australia in India before, but they went to Australia and tied the series there 1-1.

That means nothing if you can't win anywhere else.

Pothas said:
Well England have beaten Australia recently, let no one forget that and if and when they beat Pakistan in the summer they will be the 2nd best team
Yes, but more recently they have gone 0-3-2 against the two teams they are trying to compete with for the #2 spot. Let no one forget that either.

Beating people at home = what a decent team SHOULD be doing. Beating people away = one of the top teams in cricket.

Thats why neither India or England are the clear #2 right now.

steds said:
Strictly speaking, we have.
Strictly speaking, India have won a series outside the subcontinet too (Zimbabwe). But we know that doesn't count.

Here is what each team has to do in their next three tours:

England will not be the number two team unless they:

Beat Sri Lanka at home
Beat Pakistan at home
Tie Australia away

India will not be the clear number two team unless they:

Beat WI away
Tie South Africa away
Tie England away

Pakistan will not be the clear number two team unless they:

Tie SL away
Tie England away
Beat WI home

Of those three, I would think Pakistan has the best chance of coming out as the clear #2, especially considering the recent results. India has the hardest chance, considering their form outside of the subcontinent. But any of the three can do it.

Last edited:

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Tom Halsey said:
Funny how after just 3 defeats, everything's changed so suddenly from us being very nealy the best, isn't it?
Funny how from two wins, everything changed for England.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Armadillo said:
Funny how from two wins, everything changed for England.
Erm, actually, before Pakistan our record was thus:

16 wins from 23 Tests, 2 defeats.

I don't see how 3 defeats outweighs that.