• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia do not have a good enough captain to lead the next generation

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Lee & especially Clark better hope they get pitches in their favour because when they aren't they are reduced to grade level bowlers. There are not good signs for his future use of any attack if he doesn't bowl one of Australia's best bowlers (by statistics) until the 44th over of an innings.
sometimes i get the feeling since Ponting became captain in Sri Lanka after Warne so magnificently in his return test match. Ponting has always had this odd way since then when both Warne & MacGill play together to bowl MacGill extremely late. He just has too great faith and dependence of Warne at times.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Lee & especially Clark better hope they get pitches in their favour because when they aren't they are reduced to grade level bowlers. There are not good signs for his future use of any attack if he doesn't bowl one of Australia's best bowlers (by statistics) until the 44th over of an innings.

8-) i would say this pitch doesn't favour Lee, and given how tired he must be i thought he bowled quite well in the 2nd innings

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
The likely bet for Australia's next captain is probably Michael Clarke. I'd be surprised if they gave it to Hussey, though I suppose if Ponting is ditched after Gilchrist and Warne have retired it is a possibility.
possibly, depends how he develops his game in the next few years

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Grade level bowlers? That's a good one. So all the wickets Lee has played on in the last six months have favoured him have they?

I love how you relentlessly bashed Lee for months on end, then he started bowling well (as many of us had said that he would), and you went quiet about it until he had one poor test, and now he's a grade level bowler again.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think it's really important to play Lee during this series, and keep the 5 bowlers, to give him (and Clark, for that matter) as much experience in the sub-continent as possible. Even if he isn't bowling at full pelt, at least learn a bit about bowling on the sort of decks he'll have to combat in future series.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
Grade level bowlers? That's a good one. So all the wickets Lee has played on in the last six months have favoured him have they?

I love how you relentlessly bashed Lee for months on end, then he started bowling well (as many of us had said that he would), and you went quiet about it until he had one poor test, and now he's a grade level bowler again.
Not true. I have been very impressed with his bowling, he has adjusted his lines and lengths and has become a more intelligent bowler. However, in saying that I don't think he is a leader of an attack in test cricket, he will only ever be good enough to be good bowler in a bowling team. His other weakness is not being able to be penetrative and economical when the pitches really do not suit his bowling.