• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowlers that srtike terror in batsmen's heart!

Which pacer is feared most by batsmen?

• Harmison

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Akhtar

Votes: 39 39.8%
  • lee

Votes: 32 32.7%
  • Munaf Patel

Votes: 20 20.4%
  • SreeSanth

Votes: 3 3.1%

• Total voters

RolledOver

U19 Debutant
Even Sreesanth got a vote!!!

The number of votes Munaf got shows the guy is inscreasingly being recognized as a threath to batsmen world wide.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
RolledOver said:
Even Sreesanth got a vote!!!

The number of votes Munaf got shows the guy is inscreasingly being recognized as a threath to batsmen world wide.
Or it shows that people are taking the ****, like I was.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
RolledOver said:
Or it shows that the options on the poll are wrong.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Goughy said:
I was asking because I find it hard to beleive anyone can post 19000 posts on a subject and I was wondering on what experience those 19000 posts were based on. I could not write that many post on myself and I have a lifetime of experience on the topic.

Firstly I would like to point out that I have just had a baby 1 yr ago. My opinions of how to bring up a baby have changed massively since he was born. Simply, I thought I knew about the subject but until it really happened and I was a part of it I really did not. There is no replacement for experience and you (like I was before I had my baby) is someone who has second hand knowledge without true experience. It is one thing to watch and read but another to state your opinion as fact when it is based on such little experience.

Also the reason I have an issue is what you were saying about fast bowlers. You were saying that speed is not a weapon without movement. Well, as someone who regularly bowls the ball 140+ (or at least used to) I can tell you that is nonsense. The most important thing to a genuine quick is length. Quick bowlers talk length more than movement as they can get the batter inbetween the correct position.

If you have never bowled or faced this kind of ball it is hard to understand.

Also this talk of Harmison being a bad bowler is a joke. As a 20 yr old who is out of his depth in the seconds Im sure you have a valid opinion but if you ever have indepth talks with FC and test players you would appreciate how highly he is rated. He is a different animal in the flesh than on TV or from the stands.

I am not saying you don't have a valid opinion, but I don't agree with the fact that you post with such authority with so little first hand knowledge or experience.
I simply can't accept that because "peers rate Harmison" that means he can be ineffectual in nearly every Test and not be a poor bowler.
What level were you playing at if you were bowling in front of speedguns? Are you a former pro?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Goughy said:
Agreed. Rereading everything I made assurances in the first post that I did not keep in the second.

Apologies to all concerned.
Don't worry - nothing you wrote offended me in any way - you didn't come across as being aggressive or rude in any way.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
mundaneyogi said:
Richard does, however, really need to learn not to be so dogmatic, and to be more tolerant of other people and their views. Perhaps when he grows up he might be a little more easy going.
I certainly don't feel I'm "intolerant" of other people. Yes, I might say "rubbish", "don't be so ridiculous" etc. quite a bit (I'm certainly not the only one, BTW) but that's just - so to speak - the way I am. I can't do anything about that, and it certainly won't change with age.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
What level were you playing at if you were bowling in front of speedguns? Are you a former pro?
As you answered my questions, its fair I answer yours.

The pace thing comes from playing with a number Fc and International cricketers and never being anything but the quickest bowler on the field. Guys who have often been timed themselves and also can accurately comment. I cant remember a game where there has been a guy quicker than me.

I have been timed but that was a long time ago.

Am I a former pro? Not fc but done a fair bit of proing around leagues around the world.
In all honesty it is unlikely I could have made it as a fc pro. Too injury prone, too lazy, too much attitude growing up, lack of confidence and in all honesty maybe not quite good enough.

I gave it a semi-commited attempt but the above factors got in the way. If I was an idiot I would blame others for not properly taking advantage of the special talent I had. However, 99% of the fault is mine and I am aware enough to realize to look internally for the reasons I did not succeed.

I guess anyone can sit behind a pc and write that they bowled fast but in my case it was true but talent is nothing without dedication and the correct attitude. As I now coach these issues are areas I work on with players and I would have hated to working with a young me.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh: 16 votes for Munaf Patel, Jacques Kallis bowled quicker today than Patel bowled throughout the test series.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Goughy said:
As you answered my questions, its fair I answer yours.

The pace thing comes from playing with a number Fc and International cricketers and never being anything but the quickest bowler on the field. Guys who have often been timed themselves and also can accurately comment. I cant remember a game where there has been a guy quicker than me.

I have been timed but that was a long time ago.

Am I a former pro? Not fc but done a fair bit of proing around leagues around the world.
In all honesty it is unlikely I could have made it as a fc pro. Too injury prone, too lazy, too much attitude growing up, lack of confidence and in all honesty maybe not quite good enough.

I gave it a semi-commited attempt but the above factors got in the way. If I was an idiot I would blame others for not properly taking advantage of the special talent I had. However, 99% of the fault is mine and I am aware enough to realize to look internally for the reasons I did not succeed.

I guess anyone can sit behind a pc and write that they bowled fast but in my case it was true but talent is nothing without dedication and the correct attitude. As I now coach these issues are areas I work on with players and I would have hated to working with a young me.
Well... congratulations and commiserrations at the same time, then, I guess. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TT Boy said:
:laugh: 16 votes for Munaf Patel, Jacques Kallis bowled quicker today than Patel bowled throughout the test series.
Err - don't you think that might have just a little to do with the fact that Kallis was bowling in South Africa? As almost everyone has noted, most people bowl quicker in South Africa than England, Australia, West Indies and New Zealand.
Clearly, bowling as quick in the subcontinent is never as easy as in any of the aforementioned places becase of the often-extreme heat and humidity.
I await with interest the day when Patel bowls in South Africa...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Err - don't you think that might have just a little to do with the fact that Kallis was bowling in South Africa? As almost everyone has noted, most people bowl quicker in South Africa than England, Australia, West Indies and New Zealand.
Clearly, bowling as quick in the subcontinent is never as easy as in any of the aforementioned places becase of the often-extreme heat and humidity.
I await with interest the day when Patel bowls in South Africa...
Well bowlers are said to bowl quicker in SA. However, this is generally leveled at the games in the Highveld.

It is the altitude and the thin air that is seen to be responsible for the quicker ball. That is Pretoria and Jo'burg.

I dont know if you have seen but Durban is at sealevel. The bowling of Kallis has little to do with 'fast' SA air. If the game was in Gauteng then I may agree with you but grouping all SA pitches together is wrong and this case is very different to Highveld tracks.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Isn't SA air thinner even lower down on the coast than the other cricketing countries?
Indeed - come to that, there are plenty of high-altitude venues elsewhere - Sri Lanka and New Zealand to the fore.
I've certainly noticed bowlers bowling a fraction quicker at all SA venues, not just the Highveld ones. It was widely noted that in WC2003 almost all bowlers bowled quicker than they'd ever done before.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
Isn't SA air thinner even lower down on the coast than the other cricketing countries?
Indeed - come to that, there are plenty of high-altitude venues elsewhere - Sri Lanka and New Zealand to the fore.
I've certainly noticed bowlers bowling a fraction quicker at all SA venues, not just the Highveld ones. It was widely noted that in WC2003 almost all bowlers bowled quicker than they'd ever done before.
why on earth would South Africa have thinner air on the caost than other countries???? Altitude is THE factor that determines how 'thin' the air is. Trust me, the air in Durban will be as thick as it is in Brisbane!!!!

Which NZ venue is at altitude?

If it was noted that bowlers were bowling faster in the WC03 even on the coast, then a possible reason could just be that because it was the world cup and because millions were watch, the bowlers just put that little bit more into it

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
The only one that's really anywhere above sea level is Queenstown at 310m above.

Eden Park, Westpac Stadium in Wellington, McLean Park in Napier and Jade Stadium would all be no more than a matter of metres above sea level, while Seddon Park in Hamilton might be 50m above sea level, if that, as it's about 40km inland from the coast.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
why on earth would South Africa have thinner air on the caost than other countries???? Altitude is THE factor that determines how 'thin' the air is. Trust me, the air in Durban will be as thick as it is in Brisbane!!!!

If it was noted that bowlers were bowling faster in the WC03 even on the coast, then a possible reason could just be that because it was the world cup and because millions were watch, the bowlers just put that little bit more into it
Err - I very much doubt it.
I don't know why SA would have thinner air than anywhere else - I'm no climatologist. It's just the impession virtually everyone has given me.
Don't you think it's a bit of a coincidence that nearly everyone has bowled quicker at Kingsmead and Newlands than at The 'Gabba or The MCG?

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
Err - I very much doubt it.
I don't know why SA would have thinner air than anywhere else - I'm no climatologist. It's just the impession virtually everyone has given me.
Don't you think it's a bit of a coincidence that nearly everyone has bowled quicker at Kingsmead and Newlands than at The 'Gabba or The MCG?

I can categorically tell you that the air on an average day in Durban is no thinner than in Blackpool or Miami, or Rio or Barcelona, apart from relatively small variations that we all experience in air pressure on a day to day basis.

re;speeds..its not really anything I have noticed to be honest