• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowlers that srtike terror in batsmen's heart!

Which pacer is feared most by batsmen?

• Harmison

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Akhtar

Votes: 39 39.8%
  • lee

Votes: 32 32.7%
  • Munaf Patel

Votes: 20 20.4%
  • SreeSanth

Votes: 3 3.1%

• Total voters

RolledOver

U19 Debutant
wrangler203 said:
Are you f****** kidding me man, most international havent even faced the damn guy, and your saying is feared by them more than say Akthar, Lee, Harmison. What the hell is the matter with you.
Well the bad news is that they will soon be facing him, as for the mentioned 3 bowlers, two of them makes more news for injuries rather than for anything else.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Goughy said:
Richard,
I am still new here so please humour me for a second.

You are a senior poster with over 19,000 posts.

If you could induldge me on a subject that has no relevance to anything could you please answer
a) How old are you
and
b) What is the highest level of cricket you have played.

This is in no way a criticism, it is for educational purposes and I am intrigued as to the background of such a dedicated board member.
My birthday is 08-09-1985. Work it out from there. :)
The highest level of cricket I've played is English club Second XI (one game, was clearly out of my depth).
Neither of these are, especially, relevant - you can learn an awful lot in a short time if you're dedicated to the task, and you don't have to play at much of a standard to understand the game. Playing skill doesn't equate to analytical skill.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
wrangler203 said:
Are you f****** kidding me man, most international havent even faced the damn guy, and your saying is feared by them more than say Akthar, Lee, Harmison. What the hell is the matter with you.
Most people can tell that Munaf is well on track to be a better bowler than Harmison has ever been.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard said:
My birthday is 08-09-1985. Work it out from there. :)
The highest level of cricket I've played is English club Second XI (one game, was clearly out of my depth).
Neither of these are, especially, relevant - you can learn an awful lot in a short time if you're dedicated to the task, and you don't have to play at much of a standard to understand the game. Playing skill doesn't equate to analytical skill.
You'd have more of a leg to stand on if you just used statistics like so many others do - then I could crack this at your expense:

Three Richards went hunting when they came across a deer in the woods.

The first Richard took careful aim, and missed a yard to the left.

The second Richard took careful aim, and missed a yard to the right.

The third Richard said "We got it."

Oh, what the hell.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard said:
Most people can tell that Munaf is well on track to be a better bowler than Harmison has ever been.
No, Richard - most people can't, although some undoubtedly think they can. Munaf Patel has but two tests to his name, both at home, in an international career that has so far lasted a fortnight. I am not deriding anything he has achieved in his short career, but to make a judgement call based upon that period of time - sometimes I wonder what you have been smoking (and more to the point, whether you've got any left).

I remember people who made far, far more devastating strides in their early test careers, and ended up crashing and burning. Bob Massie springs to mind.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:

give it a rest richard, sure munaf impressed, but jesus, get a grip

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
I remember people who made far, far more devastating strides in their early test careers, and ended up crashing and burning. Bob Massie springs to mind.
Sultan 16-wickets-on-debut Hirwani . ;)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
luckyeddie said:
You'd have more of a leg to stand on if you just used statistics like so many others do - then I could crack this at your expense:

Three Richards went hunting when they came across a deer in the woods.

The first Richard took careful aim, and missed a yard to the left.

The second Richard took careful aim, and missed a yard to the right.

The third Richard said "We got it."

Oh, what the hell.
You might like to know that I'm anti-hunting.

(Yes, I know that post was made in jest. I'm just calling the double-bluff)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
luckyeddie said:
No, Richard - most people can't, although some undoubtedly think they can. Munaf Patel has but two tests to his name, both at home, in an international career that has so far lasted a fortnight. I am not deriding anything he has achieved in his short career, but to make a judgement call based upon that period of time - sometimes I wonder what you have been smoking (and more to the point, whether you've got any left).

Harmison springs to mind, too - except that he was rubbish before making devastating strides for a whole 7 Tests.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
give it a rest richard, sure munaf impressed, but jesus, get a grip
I won't get a grip on the fact that Harmison isn't hopelessly overrated.
Because he is.
Even now, Patel has demonstrated the ability to do things with the ball that Harmison has never once demonstrated, in his entire 10-year career.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
Because he is.
Even now, Patel has demonstrated the ability to do things with the ball that Harmison has never once demonstrated, in his entire 10-year career.
what like?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Err - the ability to get the ball to move sideways (Harmison only exceptionally rarely swings the ball, and never gets it to go on unhelpful pitches)?
Not to mention a pretty good idea of the variance of length required.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
Because he is.
will you ever manage to get over it? you've made a fool of yourself, people laughed at it and its all in the past now. just let it go.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:
sometimes I wonder what you have been smoking (and more to the point, whether you've got any left)
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Great response!

I should point out though, that if Richard had been smoking, he wouldn't be as uptight as he is.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
mundaneyogi said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Great response!

I should point out though, that if Richard had been smoking, he wouldn't be as uptight as he is.
Rest assured, I'll never smoke a thing in my life, even if it did make me perceived as less "uptight".

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
will you ever manage to get over it? you've made a fool of yourself, people laughed at it and its all in the past now. just let it go.
If people want to laugh at me, I'll respond.
I look forward to laughing at them in 2 years time when Patel becomes a good Test bowler while Harmison is relegated to first-change at Durham...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard said:
If people want to laugh at me, I'll respond.
I look forward to laughing at them in 2 years time when Patel becomes a good Test bowler while Harmison is relegated to first-change at Durham...
Right - like you did when Harmison was having his moment in the sun, I suppose?

A guy takes 4 South African wickets for 33, turns a losing series around with a single spell of hostile bowling, and suddenly goes into overdrive.

He has a sensational period that sees him suddenly at the top of the rankings (incidentally, they reflect what you have done, not how good you are) and what do you do?

For about 9 months, you disappear.

Why should this latest fairy tale be any different to the last one?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Einstein,
I "disappeared" (on 1 of 4 occasions) about a week after the 1st Test of Harmison's real good spell (starting, not with the 4\33, but the 7\12). I return after what turned-out to be the last of the good games - before he started getting dreadful figures again.
I "disappeared", FTR, for about 3 months. The person who had "disappeared" for considerably longer, and thereby missed not one, but TWO of my returns (after another "disappearence"), was someone else.
I wonder who that might have been, now...