• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowlers that srtike terror in batsmen's heart!

Which pacer is feared most by batsmen?

• Harmison

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Akhtar

Votes: 39 39.8%
  • lee

Votes: 32 32.7%
  • Munaf Patel

Votes: 20 20.4%
  • SreeSanth

Votes: 3 3.1%

• Total voters

RolledOver

U19 Debutant
I voted For Munaf patel!

The guy made a sensational start in his very first match against an opposition like England, and unnrved all the English batsmen with his pacy reverse swing yorkers and classic deliveries, that too on the placid home pitches!!!I shudder to think as to how he will terrorize the batsmen on the bouncy pitches of Australia and SA.

I see him as the younger version of waqar Younis, what a force that guy was, hopefully Munaf will match him!

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
RolledOver said:
I voted For Munaf patel!

The guy made a sensational start in his very first match against an opposition like England, and unnrved all the English batsmen with his pacy reverse swing yorkers and classic deliveries, that too on the placid home pitches!!!I shudder to think as to how he will terrorize the batsmen on the bouncy pitches of Australia and SA.

I see him as the younger version of waqar Younis, what a force that guy was, hopefully Munaf will match him!
Oh come on. He's played one game! One!

I guess I'll go for Shoaib, since as an Australian I don't have to worry about my team facing Lee.

shankar

International Debutant
RolledOver said:
I voted For Munaf patel!

:frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bowlers don't "strike terror into batsmen's hearts".
Simple as.
These days it's more a case of the other way around.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Simple as.
These days it's more a case of the other way around.
Seen Papps face Lee?

I guarantee you, every former player you could care to name will talk of the difficulty of facing express pace bowlers. Cullinan was talking about Lee just the other day. Various cricketers talk about the mental challenges of facing the West Indies quicks at their peak, or the terrors of facing Thommo at the WACA or whatever else.

And frankly, I'd like to see you go and face a guy bowling 90 mph bouncers and say he was more frightened of you than the other way around.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Maybe I should rephrase that:
"Top-quality batsmen don't have terror struck into their hearts by very fast bowlers in the modern age where protective equipment is up to standard".
Yes, a can-barely-hit-the-ball batsman like me might just be a bit worried about the prospect of facing a 95mph bowler. Point is, I'd back someone like Bond or Harmison to be far more scared of Gilchrist than the other way around (I would say Shoaib, but I don't really think it's in Shoaib's make-up to be scared of batsmen).
Equally, it might be a bit more understandible to be scared of fast bowlers in the pre-helmet\chest-pad days.
And equally you might get the occasional oddball like Michael Papps who can't take a bit of pace, but these type are extremely rare in today's age and the game of cricket is better for it.
Just because facing 95mph or so might not be easy, doesn't mean it's anywhere near the toughest challenge in cricket, and there are far more of the "pace turns me on" de Villiers type than the Pappses.

SA

Banned
adharcric said:
The fact that Munaf is leading this poll makes it clear that someone is staging a sabotage here with multiple usernames or something of the sort.:mellow:
Yes,its again nehrafan with his other accounts.Three days ago,another of his accounts was banned which shows that he still his lot of active accounts on Cricket Web.And I'm sure that IndianByHeart is also his account.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
adharcric said:
The fact that Munaf is leading this poll makes it clear that someone is staging a sabotage here with multiple usernames or something of the sort.:mellow:
God, how many accounts has this chappie got?
How was it that all those were found-out? Surely there must be a way of finding some more?

EDIT: "Sabotage"! :laugh::lol::laugh::lol::laugh::lol::laugh::lol:
A "fix" would be a better word!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SA said:
Yes,its again nehrafan with his other accounts.Three days ago,another of his accounts was banned which shows that he still his lot of active accounts on Cricket Web.And I'm sure that IndianByHeart is also his account.
Was TendulkarMark2 one of his too?
Maybe we could have a rolling list on Site Discussion that gives the name immidately of the latest of his accounts to be discovered and banned? :laugh:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
All batsmen should have a healthy respect and fear of fast bowlers. It keeps you on edge and focused and most importantly....

it stops foolish things like the Sultan Hirwani incident in the 95/96 World Cup.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Was that the guy who got hit by Allan Donald after stupidly coming in with a cap on?
Respect keeps you on your toes. Fear makes you more likely to get out - much more likely.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Harmison or Shoaib, Harmison hit the aussie batsmen 40 times during the ashes (more than lee).

Lee is quick, but i don't think he's that intimidating, look at the way Pietersen and Freddy took him apart at Edgbaston and the Oval.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Sreesanth. Ha! That guy couldn't scare anyone if he wore a hockey mask and carried a machete and Shaun Udal's severed head around.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
shankar said:
:laugh: It was Sultan Zarawani of the UAE. Hirwani was an Indian leg-spinner.
Un-freaking-beleivable. I thought it looked wrong. Thats what hapens when you trust South African proof readers.

I checked Donalds Autobiography as a reference before posting and trusted that more than my own memory

p 193 "White Lightning" Allan Donald- The Autobiography
"Their captain, Sultan Hirwani came out wearing a sunhat and me ready to bowl at him. I was baffled that he wasn't wearing a helmet"

Allan Donald (once one of my favourite players) has now plummited in my estimations for making me look silly:)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:
Un-freaking-beleivable. I thought it looked wrong. Thats what hapens when you trust South African proof readers.

I checked Donalds Autobiography as a reference before posting and trusted that more than my own memory

p 193 "White Lightning" Allan Donald- The Autobiography
"Their captain, Sultan Hirwani came out wearing a sunhat and me ready to bowl at him. I was baffled that he wasn't wearing a helmet"

Allan Donald (once one of my favourite players) has now plummited in my estimations for making me look silly:)
Attached is the proof that Donald and this ghost writer, Patrick Murphy, know less than I thought.

Attachments

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
RolledOver said:
I voted For Munaf patel!

:laugh: :laugh: okay, I wanted to vote Sree Santh, but just for you ma man, I vote for Munaf.