• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowlers that srtike terror in batsmen's heart!

Which pacer is feared most by batsmen?

• Harmison

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Akhtar

Votes: 39 39.8%
  • lee

Votes: 32 32.7%
  • Munaf Patel

Votes: 20 20.4%
  • SreeSanth

Votes: 3 3.1%

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No more than anything else.

There's no reasonable doubt that that's what it was.

Incidentally - wah seems to be gone at present. Wonder where he is, and how long before he starts bothering us again?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
BTW - knew I should've thought twice before linking to a thread in which I'd posted with Perm around. 8-)
Yeah, 'cause it was an absolute crime for me to notice a post and comment on it, in a positive light.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, 'cause it was an absolute crime for me to notice a post and comment on it, in a positive light.
I thought you were being sarcastic as the said bowler hasn't achieved anything of note yet and others might have read it that way too.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Any three or four man attack chosen from that lot would strike the same fear into quality batsman as Herman Munster at best and Mary Poppins at worst.
If you're a batsman and you don't experience any inkling of fear when facing guys like Shoaib and Lee then I'd have to suggest that there's probably something wrong with you.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Must admit, Dale Steyn looks terrifying to face. His run-up and action has a real violence about it, even if he's not bowling terribly quickly.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
To me Munaf is GD McGrath pace right? brushing 140k isn't scary for test batsmen, Lee, Tait, Akhtar and Steyn are scarier. Tait, for the old where-the-hell-is-this-one-going-oops-yorker-its-bowled-him! kind of thing, same for Akhtar, and Lee's Bouncers are tough to face

Voted Lee but would have picked Tait

shortpitched713

International Captain
Anyway, don't know about who'd be scariest, but from what I've seen Steyn is the best of the lot amongst very quick seamers, and I'd least want to face him.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
If you're a batsman and you don't experience any inkling of fear when facing guys like Shoaib and Lee then I'd have to suggest that there's probably something wrong with you.

I don't think any "quality" batsman would be in fear of either. Shoaib is quick but very inconsistant and not especially accurate, Lee's is also inconsistant, and not fearsome.

shortpitched713

International Captain
I don't think any "quality" batsman would be in fear of either. Shoaib is quick but very inconsistant and not especially accurate, Lee's is also inconsistant, and not fearsome.
Shoaib, when hes actually fit is very consistently quick and maintains a good line throughout his spells, so I'm not sure what you're talking about there. Lee also has improved a lot, and while he may not have the same raw pace that he used to have, he's definitely improved his consistency. Both are capable of considerable damage, both bodily and otherwise, and I wouldn't want to face either if given the choice.

Beleg

International Regular
Shoaib is quick but very inconsistant and not especially accurate
Maybe in 1997. However, the above comment seems to indicate you are talking out of your ass on this one.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Shoaib, when hes actually fit is very consistently quick and maintains a good line throughout his spells, so I'm not sure what you're talking about there. Lee also has improved a lot, and while he may not have the same raw pace that he used to have, he's definitely improved his consistency. Both are capable of considerable damage, both bodily and otherwise, and I wouldn't want to face either if given the choice.
Neither would I, but then neither of us are quality batsman.:)

No more than anything else.

There's no reasonable doubt that that's what it was.

Incidentally - wah seems to be gone at present. Wonder where he is, and how long before he starts bothering us again?
It shouldn't take long for longtime posters here to judge why this was not a public poll.

taitmachine

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Lets face it the day of the scary fast bowler is dead! Ambrose was the last great scary fast bowler (Akram & Younis were also great).

I voted for Shoaib in that list, but think Tait is one that batsmen would hate facing most due to his unpredictability.

As a batsmen there are bowlers you are scared that will get you out - lots of these around including the spinners - but a scary bowler is one you are scared will hurt you. Not much of that in international cricket these days - although tail enders would disagree.

Don't know much of Patel, but have heard good things about Steyn. I love watching Sreesanth he has the attitude of an angry fast bowler from days gone by and I love that - perhaps not the ability to back it up though.

shortpitched713

International Captain
As a batsmen there are bowlers you are scared that will get you out - lots of these around including the spinners - but a scary bowler is one you are scared will hurt you. Not much of that in international cricket these days - although tail enders would disagree.
Craig Cumming would beg to disagree as well.