• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowlers that srtike terror in batsmen's heart!

Which pacer is feared most by batsmen?

• Harmison

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Akhtar

Votes: 39 39.8%
  • lee

Votes: 32 32.7%
  • Munaf Patel

Votes: 20 20.4%
  • SreeSanth

Votes: 3 3.1%

• Total voters

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Regarding Kallis, he's actually been bowling reasonably quickly, and I might say quite well also. I certainly ceased rating Kallis as a bowler some time ago, as he was quite alright for the early years of his career but really declined around the early 2000s when his batting took off. Recently though he's been bowling decently again, and there's been a visible improvement from his mediocre bowling in the Super Series and early in the Australian leg of the recent test series and the way he's been bowling in South Africa.

Anyway, recently (mostly just the 5 tests against Australia) he's back to bowling more or less 20 overs a test even against good opposition, and picking up some wickets, so I think it's fair to say he's playing as an all-rounder again, while for a time he was only bowling sporadically.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kallis has to do far more for me than bowl well in a couple of games to re-establish his bowling credentials.
Even in the 2 games, he's still not wholly convinced me, any more than any of the South African seamers have (Nel included).

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Kallis has to do far more for me than bowl well in a couple of games to re-establish his bowling credentials.
Even in the 2 games, he's still not wholly convinced me, any more than any of the South African seamers have (Nel included).
Nel has been very good. He's a strange bowler in the sense that it is hard to see him really running through a side, but he's very consistent and always looks like he could take a wicket at any moment. Ntini's been pretty poor generally aside from the odd spell, same with Pollock. Kallis has probably been the best seamer after Nel in the series so far.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nel has always looked like taking wickets - but normally he looks like taking them... then takes them.
On this occasion, he's not really done so. In Australia you can blame dropped catches - not so at home. He's just not bowled quite as well as he normally has.
And I really, really hope he corrects that at The Wanderers otherwise we'll just get the usual "couldn't hack it against the best" nonsense that we hear so often.

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
Wow, 19 votes for Munaf Patel, and he's not even in the team anymore. Just shows how Indian bowlers are hyped up so much because I'm sure most votes would have been when he first came out and did well in a series or two.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wow, 19 votes for Munaf Patel, and he's not even in the team anymore. Just shows how Indian bowlers are hyped up so much because I'm sure most votes would have been when he first came out and did well in a series or two.
Another attack on India? Well, we've come to expect it from you really.

FWIW I agree that the majority of those votes would have been after he initially burst onto the scene, but he's not in the team due to his fitness, not because he is a poor bowler.

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
Another attack on India? Well, we've come to expect it from you really.

FWIW I agree that the majority of those votes would have been after he initially burst onto the scene, but he's not in the team due to his fitness, not because he is a poor bowler.
WTF, how is that an attack on India? Don't you agree a lot of Indian FC players are actually quite hyped up, esp the bowlers? Just read the first line of his profile

He is actually a poor bowler because he never bowled at that 140 + km/h pace that people thought he could.

Perm

WTF, how is that an attack on India? Don't you agree a lot of Indian FC players are actually quite hyped up, esp the bowlers? Just read the first line of his profile
Every time you see the chance to put down the Indian side, or an Indian player, you take it and I'm sure I'm not the only poster who is sick of his of it. No, I don't agree that they are hyped up more than players from any other nation.

He is actually a poor bowler because he never bowled at that 140 + km/h pace that people thought he could.
I've not seen alot of Munaf Patel bowl, but unless I'm very much mistaken, I am sure he has bowled faster than 140 kilometres per hour at some stage in his career. Even if he didn't, doesn't make him a poor bowler. Infact, he has the makings of an excellent Test bowler.

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
Every time you see the chance to put down the Indian side, or an Indian player, you take it and I'm sure I'm not the only poster who is sick of his of it. No, I don't agree that they are hyped up more than players from any other nation.
I'm not sure you remember this, but if you try hard you might remember I extremely sympathised with the Indian side during the 2nd test where some decisions went against them. I also said it would be fair even if they decided to call off the tour. So I'm not sure of yours " trying to put down the Indian side" is true for me. Also if you're sick of my posts, just add me to your ignore list because I am also sick of you trying to prove me wrong at every oppertunity you get.[/QUOTE]

I've not seen alot of Munaf Patel bowl, but unless I'm very much mistaken, I am sure he has bowled faster than 140 kilometres per hour at some stage in his career. Even if he didn't, doesn't make him a poor bowler. Infact, he has the makings of an excellent Test bowler.
He bowled in 120s and 130s most of the time. Not saying you need to bowl 140 + to be a good bowler, but if you're not special in other areas, the only way to make up for that is with pace.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
If I'm not mistaken, he bowled at over 140kph in the Pakistan Test series on dead pitches.

Perm

I'm not sure you remember this, but if you try hard you might remember I extremely sympathised with the Indian side during the 2nd test where some decisions went against them. I also said it would be fair even if they decided to call off the tour. So I'm not sure of yours " trying to put down the Indian side" is true for me. Also if you're sick of my posts, just add me to your ignore list because I am also sick of you trying to prove me wrong at every oppertunity you get.
I obviously didn't see that, otherwise I wouldn't have made that comment, but it appears you like to criticise India a fair amount, for no apparant reason.

He bowled in 120s and 130s most of the time. Not saying you need to bowl 140 + to be a good bowler, but if you're not special in other areas, the only way to make up for that is with pace.
Munaf Patel is special in other areas though, that is why there is a reasonable amount of hype surrounding him. As Manee said, he has bowled over 140 kph at times, and I don't beleive it's that uncommon for him to be reaching those days. I fear you may have seen him when he was playing whilst only half-fit.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
If India are smart, they will utilise the NCA to get the fast bowlers into the sort of shape in which they can bowl at full pace for prolonged periods of time, regardless of the pitch, like Brett Lee can. You won't see Brett Lee bowling 130kph because it is a slow pitch or at the end of a long spell.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FFS, read the thread! It was wahindiawah\nehrafan\IndianByHeart and his duplicate accounts, nothing more!

BTW - knew I should've thought twice before linking to a thread in which I'd posted with Perm around. 8-)

haroon510

International 12th Man
a fit shoaib can be vacious and produce delieveries that would create fear even in legends like Sachin, Ricky Pointing and many other in present day as he did in many in the past such as Lara, Steve Waugh and many other..

FRAZ

International Captain
a fit shoaib can be vacious and produce delieveries that would create fear even in legends like Sachin, Ricky Pointing and many other in present day as he did in many in the past such as Lara, Steve Waugh and many other..
Only an ultimate legend can threaten the local ordinary legends . So Shoaib is ..........

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Any three or four man attack chosen from that lot would strike the same fear into quality batsman as Herman Munster at best and Mary Poppins at worst.

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
I obviously didn't see that, otherwise I wouldn't have made that comment, but it appears you like to criticise India a fair amount, for no apparant reason.
hmm, I don't know. I think whenever I criticise a team, player, or anything else, I try to justify my criticism.

Munaf Patel is special in other areas though, that is why there is a reasonable amount of hype surrounding him. As Manee said, he has bowled over 140 kph at times, and I don't beleive it's that uncommon for him to be reaching those days. I fear you may have seen him when he was playing whilst only half-fit.
I'm gonna say there's 0% chance of him making a comeback to the Indian side.