• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowlers that srtike terror in batsmen's heart!

Which pacer is feared most by batsmen?

• Harmison

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Akhtar

Votes: 39 39.8%
  • lee

Votes: 32 32.7%
  • Munaf Patel

Votes: 20 20.4%
  • SreeSanth

Votes: 3 3.1%

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why do the speeds vary if it's not to do with the air?
I can't think of any other cause.
Do we have a way of measuring "thickness of air"? I presume it's particles-per-cm or whatever...?

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
Do we have a way of measuring "thickness of air"? I presume it's particles-per-cm or whatever...?
air pressure..measure in millibars , atmospheres or inches of mercury

density of the air is basically a measure of air pressure

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
It is a generally well regarded in cricket (and science) that the ball travels quicker at altitude. In SA this means the Highveld. All players will tell you the ball is a good bit nippier at Jo'burg and Centurian. You just took the fact that the ball moves quicker through the air in Gauteng and applied it to all SA grounds. Nothing wrong with that apart from the fact it is not accurate or true.

If you want an example from another sport have a look at baseball at the Colorado Rockies. Thin air means 'fast' fast balls and home runs that fly for miles.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Err - I very much doubt it.
I don't know why SA would have thinner air than anywhere else - I'm no climatologist. It's just the impession virtually everyone has given me.
It is not SA but the Highveld. Do not take one area of the country and apply it to the whole. Of course the air is different there. That is why over the past few months the High Performance Centre at Uni. of Pretoria has been packed with athletes using high altitude training in preparation for the Commonwealths.

The Highveld area of SA (inc. Pretoria and Jo'burg) is 5000-6000 ft (1400+ m) above sealevel. This is a long way and changes a number of things. Not least affecting the breathing of opposition teams.

Last edited:

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Richard said:
It's probably not as complicated as all that. It's quite possibly somthing to do with the equipment the host broadcaster uses to capture the speeds.

There was a bit of hoo-ha here in NZ a few years ago when the whole speed thing was the topic du jour. Shane Bond was being measured in Australia up in the 150s, but only in the high 130s, low 140s here.

Martin Crowe went on record as saying that Sky TV used different equipment to Channel 9, and implied that Sky's measurements were more accurate. It didn't placate the public though - nowadays the speeds shown on TV here are pretty much in line with everywhere else.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
why on earth would South Africa have thinner air on the caost than other countries???? Altitude is THE factor that determines how 'thin' the air is. Trust me, the air in Durban will be as thick as it is in Brisbane!!!!
More to the point, does Richard have hotter air than other Cricket Web contributors?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Goughy said:
It is a generally well regarded in cricket (and science) that the ball travels quicker at altitude. In SA this means the Highveld. All players will tell you the ball is a good bit nippier at Jo'burg and Centurian. You just took the fact that the ball moves quicker through the air in Gauteng and applied it to all SA grounds.
I did not, it's simply something that was said by several people and I picked-up.
Nothing wrong with that apart from the fact it is not accurate or true.
What intregues me is that the same has been said by no-one about grounds like Kandy and Queenstown.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
I did not, it's simply something that was said by several people and I picked-up.

What intregues me is that the same has been said by no-one about grounds like Kandy and Queenstown.
Queenstown is only 1000 ft above sea level (I think it was Voltman who said that) and Kandy is about 1500ft above sea level...so really the drop in prssure isnt that great. Jo'burg is 6000ft above sea level, so the air is 'thinner' (lower pressure, less dense)

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
Goes to show what crap your sources come out with!!!!, They were probably stringing you along

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
Queenstown is only 1000 ft above sea level (I think it was Voltman who said that) and Kandy is about 1500ft above sea level...so really the drop in prssure isnt that great. Jo'burg is 6000ft above sea level, so the air is 'thinner' (lower pressure, less dense)
Quite a difference, then!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
Goes to show what crap your sources come out with!!!!, They were probably stringing you along
Well, if they were they were stringing several thousand others with me.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
Well, if they were they were stringing several thousand others with me.
I dont think many people would be fooled by someone saying the air is thinner in all parts of South Africa, including the coast, pretty much most people who have followed sports over some period of time would know that ALTITUDE is the issue.

Who were these people who said this anyway??? Was it April Fools or something, or was it that you maybe misinterpreted what was said

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, certainly wasn't April 1st.
IIRR Aggers certainly said it several times at several different points, many South African commentators mentioned it in 2001\02 with Lee on the visit (First Test in... Johannesburg), and a few other articles here and there have talked of "visiting South Africa", not "playing on the Highveld" as being a good chance to bowl really fast.
Clearly, I have misinterpreted it, and if bowlers do bowl quicker at Newlands and Kingsmead it's to do with something else.

amit2

Banned
munaf is a bowler who strikes the real terror in batsmen. its munaf, who can bowl at 145+ kph and its not just high speed bowling. he also has the control. munaf, has the ability to produce swing and reverse swing bothways and can exploit the conditions really well and munaf has more bounce and higher backlift than any other indian bowler. on his day, munaf alone can destroy any batting line-up as he did recently with eng.

adharcric

International Coach
amit2 said:
munaf is a bowler who strikes the real terror in batsmen. its munaf, who can bowl at 145+ kph and its not just high speed bowling. he also has the control. munaf, has the ability to produce swing and reverse swing bothways and can exploit the conditions really well and munaf has more bounce and higher backlift than any other indian bowler. on his day, munaf alone can destroy any batting line-up as he did recently with eng.
oh ok

Matt79

Global Moderator
The only problem is that most batsman haven't heard of munaf yet so they don't know they should be afraid. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
amit2 said:
Do we have the umpteenth comeback of the artist known on his maiden account as "amits"?