• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Any Durham fans?

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
Are there any other users of this forum who go support the Durham team?

I have just got my membership for the current season (a great £55 as I am a student) and was wondering if there are any other fans out there with whom I can disuss the team

steds

Hall of Fame Member
There's a couple somewhere, I think. Only one I can think of off the top of my head is Scalypiscine.

There'll be some talk about Durham (and the other counties) in the county cricket thread once the season starts going.

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
It is a great ground and the members area is fantastic. Theres a real buzz about the place and when we get near full on the odd one-daygame it is a real great atmosphere.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yea I support Durham, tho I've only been to the ground once (Durham v Glamorgan - when Shoaib in between jeers got two people out hit wicket. The latter one was KOed or appeared to be and fell on the stumps, might have been Maynard) glad I didn't go the day after because Glamorgan smashed Durham around before Kasper took 8 for not many and Collingwood was stranded on twenty odd batting at 3 I think...

A lot of people will be interested in what you've seen of Mark Davies.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've got a soft spot for them - have done from their old Gillette Cup giant-killing days. Chester-le-Street's a beautifully situated ground too.

I'm still a Derbyshire fan, but Scaly Piscine's a big Durham fan. You can't miss him - plays scrabble a lot and hevs a bit o'cracky till the booert comes in.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Durham are no longer the worst team in First Class Cricket with 3 england internationals, the Mantle has been passed on too Derbyshire who should play in the Minor Counties

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
chris.hinton said:
Durham are no longer the worst team in First Class Cricket with 3 england internationals, the Mantle has been passed on too Derbyshire who should play in the Minor Counties
There's no denying that we have been pretty dreadful for a few years now, but what you are advocating is killing the club - the County Championship set-up is totally different from that of the Minor Counties - they're full-time for a start, play four day cricket (apart from when we get beaten inside 3 days) and are currently undertaking major developments both on the pitch and off it.

Besides, if we were to lose our place, we would be unable to entertain the newly named WRC Surrey Lions (Wonderful Rikki Clarke) at Queen's Park, Chesterfield on Sunday, 30 July 2006.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scaly piscine said:
A lot of people will be interested in what you've seen of Mark Davies.
It does seem bizarre he maintains such a low average.

I'd assume that he's been watched though and what they've seen is that he's got the knack of dismissing county batsmen, but not enough about him to trouble top class players.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
There's no denying that we have been pretty dreadful for a few years now, but what you are advocating is killing the club - the County Championship set-up is totally different from that of the Minor Counties - they're full-time for a start, play four day cricket (apart from when we get beaten inside 3 days) and are currently undertaking major developments both on the pitch and off it.

Besides, if we were to lose our place, we would be unable to entertain the newly named WRC Surrey Lions (Wonderful Rikki Clarke) at Queen's Park, Chesterfield on Sunday, 30 July 2006.
Looking forward to seeing some FC cricket at Queen's Park, you going LE?

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
It does seem bizarre he maintains such a low average.

I'd assume that he's been watched though and what they've seen is that he's got the knack of dismissing county batsmen, but not enough about him to trouble top class players.
Well this is a big season for Davies. He was great last year for us with a CC bowling average of 15. 6-32 in one CC match!!!! I think he could make the step up to play for England should they need him, bowling wise I prefer him to Plunkett. His CC batting was pretty poor although he did get a 62 once, which si more than in his other 10 matches combined (in which he got 57 combined, poor)

At One Day Level he played well but didnt bowl very much and infact got in only 14 overs, taking 1 wicket and conceding 42 runs. And in his two batting innings he got only one run.

Id like to see him get a call-up but part of me wants him not to so he can play for us all season

chris.hinton

International Captain
Durham will still go down though

and Derbyshire need a kick up the backside and the threat of Minor Counties could be the answer

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
luckyeddie said:

chris.hinton said:
Just because a team is bad, doesn't mean that they should be dropped from the whole competition.

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
chris.hinton said:
Durham will still go down though

and Derbyshire need a kick up the backside and the threat of Minor Counties could be the answer
Is it still 2 going down? If so then I cnanot see us being relegated

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Autobahn said:
What's your take on Derby's shopping over the winter eddie?
Debenhams is worth a look, but if you have a real eye for a bargain, then the Eagle Centre Market on Saturday mornings is the place to be - especialy if I'm helping out on the Ramstrust stall (haven't done that for some time because I've been too poorly). It's the ideal place to pick up those essentials like Ramstrust memberships, Brian Clough books, Ramstrust mugs and badges, Derby County Match of the 70's DVDs, sweatshirts, contributions to the Steve Bloomer Project and so on.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pedro Delgado said:
Looking forward to seeing some FC cricket at Queen's Park, you going LE?
I'll definitely be going on the Sunday - will try to get a few of us organised for a 'Clarkewatch' (I'm aiming on doing 3 this year - one dahn saarf and one oop north as well as Chesterfield - actually, Chesterfield's pretty oop north as cricket goes). Going to get a decent banner made.

Me and Mrs LE used to go to Queens Park 30 and more years ago to watch the lads. It was a fantastic place to watch cricket, and I'm sure it will be again. Those trees must be about a million feet high now.