• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan's chances in England this summer

Salamuddin

International Debutant
How do you guys see this summer's 3 test series between Pakistan and England turning out ?

I think Pakistan will be more competitive than a lot of people expect...and they will give England a good test prior to departing for the Ashes defence down under.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
England will be favourites, a fit Simon Jones would make all the difference of course. I'd be surprised if we didn't win the test series but I agree PAK are looking something like at last. We'll lose the ODIs, but who cares really.

Swervy

International Captain
jamesryfler said:
How do you guys see this summer's 3 test series between Pakistan and England turning out ?

I think Pakistan will be more competitive than a lot of people expect...and they will give England a good test prior to departing for the Ashes defence down under.
I think, if England get sorted injury wise, England could win it pretty comfortably

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It's four Tests. And I hope we're favourites, especially seeing how Pakistan played swing on the first morning of the Third Test against India - though if we keep finding stupid ways to get out when set, I dunno...

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
I would say it would be either 2-0 or 3-0 to England as i think Pak have no chance.

Akhtar is already out of International cricket and the latest news is that he has developed "degenerative arthritis". This means that he won't make it to England's tour (might not even play cricket again). Without Akhtar Pak don't have a decent attack and their batsman are likely to struggle in England (only Inzi can be expected to come out in flying colors). As such i don't expect that series to be much of a contest really.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Swervy said:
I think, if England get sorted injury wise, England could win it pretty comfortably

England start favourites granted but Pakistan have a pretty good record in England ( I don't think England have beaten them at home for a very long time) and I reckon if they have a fully fit bowling attack ( of Akhtar, Gul, Asif, Rana backed up by Kaneria), they can cause a number of problems for the English batsmen.

THe key I feel to Pakistan getting a good result will be how their batsmen play the strong Englis attack.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I believe Shoaib, Asif and Umer Gul (assuming he is fit) will hold the key along with Kaneria. Batting will struggle apart from Inzi and to some extentYounis Khan.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In spite of a pretty disappointing winter thus far, I would still expect us to keep our unbeaten record of series at home going this summer. I'll be at Old Trafford myself, expecting victory lol

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
Xuhaib said:
I believe Shoaib, Asif and Umer Gul (assuming he is fit) will hold the key along with Kaneria. Batting will struggle apart from Inzi and to some extentYounis Khan.
Younis Khan had a terrible time in England recently. I don't expect much from him, but i think Inzi is a class act and he will do well.Kamran Akmal can do a decent job too and maybe M Yousuf might surprise us by batting well on seaming pitches.

I seriously don't think Akhtar will make it (his medical reports have poor prognosis).Asif can be a "danger man" , don't expect much from others.Maybe M Sami should be brought into the test team in the absence of Akhtar.

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
Interestingly it will be a battle of two teams that have two things in common , one being weak batting lineup and other being injury prone pacers.

Swervy

International Captain
IndianByHeart said:
Interestingly it will be a battle of two teams that have two things in common , one being weak batting lineup and other being injury prone pacers.
I think you will find that a full strength England batting line up at home wont be weak...

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Pakistan batting line-up will struggle against the swinging ball but do have a very potent bowling line up for English conditions. Shoaib will be fit and was nigh unplayable on some of the flattest tracks against us last winter, Asif and Rana Naved will enjoy English conditions and Kaneria will get some joy because the series is taking place later in the summer and I doubt anyone in are team has learned to read his googly by now.

England are favourites for the tests, expecting a 2-1 and some heavy defeats in the ODI series.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
It's four Tests. And I hope we're favourites, especially seeing how Pakistan played swing on the first morning of the Third Test against India - though if we keep finding stupid ways to get out when set, I dunno...
Quite. Even without Akhtar, Pakistan seem to have enough quicks who could be a real handful in England, AFAICS. And how often have we seen it swing for "traditional" swing in England anyway? If the 4 tests are in the 2nd half of the summer, there should be something there for Kaneria and co, so I don't make England huge favourites at all. It's no accident that we haven't won a home series against Pakisatn since 1982.

Should be a very good series though.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'd back Younis and Akmal to also be in the runs along with Inzy, but Mohammad Yousuf, Salman Butt and the rest may, and most likely will struggle with the swinging conditions.

A lot rests so much on whether Shoaib and Gul are fit. I think Gul is very good at extracting the best out of bowler friendly conditions, and Shoaib is Shoaib. If either are missing (obviously mainly Shoaib) Pakistan will likely struggle, even though Asif will be lethal IMO. He needs support.

I'm not willing to put out a prediction yet, but I'd back England to win. Though I wouldn't be too confident of a dominating win. A lot was said before the Pakistan series, and even on those flat wickets Shoaib managed to trouble England, as did Kaneria. One would think Kaneria will get some help, and a fit Shoaib will like the English conditions as well.

Last edited:

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I don't think Pakistan will really struggle that much. The conditions for batting have been much better in recent times than they once were, and swinging conditions and the like don't really come into it that much anymore. I'll tip a fairly even series with England to come out on top, but just. Kaneria and Asif will be the key for Pakistan IMO (assuming Shoaib won't be fit), and I'd back Younis and Inzy to do well.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
I don't think Pakistan should be written off in this series, infact I think they will pose a more than potent threat to England. 2-0 is a pretty convincing scoreline, even if it was in completely different conditions.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Pakistan will lose both tests and ODIs to England. I have no confidence in Pakistani batsmen batting outside of Pakistan.

danish

U19 12th Man
Why oh why has almost everyone on this forum turned against Pakistan after they were at one stage 2nd in the world just because of an ODI series debut against India. I'd like to see how the predictions for the Pakistan v England series change if the Pakistani team wins comprehensively in Sri Lanka.
And no, this is not a bid for the Tony Greig Award.