Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Pakistan's chances in England this summer

International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar

Pakistan's chances in England this summer

How do you guys see this summer's 3 test series between Pakistan and England turning out ?

I think Pakistan will be more competitive than a lot of people expect...and they will give England a good test prior to departing for the Ashes defence down under.

International Debutant Pedro Delgado's Avatar
    England will be favourites, a fit Simon Jones would make all the difference of course. I'd be surprised if we didn't win the test series but I agree PAK are looking something like at last. We'll lose the ODIs, but who cares really.
    Member of the Rosalie Birch Appreciation Society (RBAS)
    Member of CVAAS - go Joe

You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    I'm the church and I've come
    To claim you with my iron drum
    la la la la la la la la la la

The wolves are running..

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesryfler
    How do you guys see this summer's 3 test series between Pakistan and England turning out ?

I think Pakistan will be more competitive than a lot of people expect...and they will give England a good test prior to departing for the Ashes defence down under.
    I think, if England get sorted injury wise, England could win it pretty comfortably
    rave down, hit the ground

MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    It's four Tests. And I hope we're favourites, especially seeing how Pakistan played swing on the first morning of the Third Test against India - though if we keep finding stupid ways to get out when set, I dunno...
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

U19 Vice-Captain
    I would say it would be either 2-0 or 3-0 to England as i think Pak have no chance.

Akhtar is already out of International cricket and the latest news is that he has developed "degenerative arthritis". This means that he won't make it to England's tour (might not even play cricket again). Without Akhtar Pak don't have a decent attack and their batsman are likely to struggle in England (only Inzi can be expected to come out in flying colors). As such i don't expect that series to be much of a contest really.

International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervy
    I think, if England get sorted injury wise, England could win it pretty comfortably

England start favourites granted but Pakistan have a pretty good record in England ( I don't think England have beaten them at home for a very long time) and I reckon if they have a fully fit bowling attack ( of Akhtar, Gul, Asif, Rana backed up by Kaneria), they can cause a number of problems for the English batsmen.

THe key I feel to Pakistan getting a good result will be how their batsmen play the strong Englis attack.

I believe Shoaib, Asif and Umer Gul (assuming he is fit) will hold the key along with Kaneria. Batting will struggle apart from Inzi and to some extentYounis Khan.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    In spite of a pretty disappointing winter thus far, I would still expect us to keep our unbeaten record of series at home going this summer. I'll be at Old Trafford myself, expecting victory lol
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

U19 Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib
    I believe Shoaib, Asif and Umer Gul (assuming he is fit) will hold the key along with Kaneria. Batting will struggle apart from Inzi and to some extentYounis Khan.
    Younis Khan had a terrible time in England recently. I don't expect much from him, but i think Inzi is a class act and he will do well.Kamran Akmal can do a decent job too and maybe M Yousuf might surprise us by batting well on seaming pitches.

I seriously don't think Akhtar will make it (his medical reports have poor prognosis).Asif can be a "danger man" , don't expect much from others.Maybe M Sami should be brought into the test team in the absence of Akhtar.

U19 Vice-Captain
    Interestingly it will be a battle of two teams that have two things in common , one being weak batting lineup and other being injury prone pacers.

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianByHeart
    Interestingly it will be a battle of two teams that have two things in common , one being weak batting lineup and other being injury prone pacers.
    I think you will find that a full strength England batting line up at home wont be weak...

Pakistan batting line-up will struggle against the swinging ball but do have a very potent bowling line up for English conditions. Shoaib will be fit and was nigh unplayable on some of the flattest tracks against us last winter, Asif and Rana Naved will enjoy English conditions and Kaneria will get some joy because the series is taking place later in the summer and I doubt anyone in are team has learned to read his googly by now.

England are favourites for the tests, expecting a 2-1 and some heavy defeats in the ODI series.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    It's four Tests. And I hope we're favourites, especially seeing how Pakistan played swing on the first morning of the Third Test against India - though if we keep finding stupid ways to get out when set, I dunno...
    Quite. Even without Akhtar, Pakistan seem to have enough quicks who could be a real handful in England, AFAICS. And how often have we seen it swing for "traditional" swing in England anyway? If the 4 tests are in the 2nd half of the summer, there should be something there for Kaneria and co, so I don't make England huge favourites at all. It's no accident that we haven't won a home series against Pakisatn since 1982.

Should be a very good series though.

I'd back Younis and Akmal to also be in the runs along with Inzy, but Mohammad Yousuf, Salman Butt and the rest may, and most likely will struggle with the swinging conditions.

A lot rests so much on whether Shoaib and Gul are fit. I think Gul is very good at extracting the best out of bowler friendly conditions, and Shoaib is Shoaib. If either are missing (obviously mainly Shoaib) Pakistan will likely struggle, even though Asif will be lethal IMO. He needs support.

I'm not willing to put out a prediction yet, but I'd back England to win. Though I wouldn't be too confident of a dominating win. A lot was said before the Pakistan series, and even on those flat wickets Shoaib managed to trouble England, as did Kaneria. One would think Kaneria will get some help, and a fit Shoaib will like the English conditions as well.
    Last edited by Jono; 13-03-2006 at 04:34 AM.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Should be a cracking series. Really looking forward to watching it once I get Sky TV in early July.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information