• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ODI innings ever?

thierry henry

International Coach
We'll have debate for sure, but I find it hard to see how anyone can go past Gibbs' innings.

For starters, regardless of the context, 175 off 111 is one the most statistically impressive ODI innings ever, if not THE most impressive. It's one of the highest scores ever made, and it's made at a ludicrous rate.

Furthermore, it was against the best team of the modern era, in a series decider.

And it was made chasing the highest score ever. And the major contribution in beating the highest winning chase ever by over 100 runs.

I personally believe it's an easy winner.

irfan

State Captain
In terms of context of the series, situation of the game being played and the score being asked to chase down I agree it is the best ODI innings ever. Besides Dhoni's 183 all other higher scores have been batting first. Gibbs takes it for me

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Australia may be the best of the modern era, but that attack is hardly deserving of the title.

There's no doubt Gibbs played a monster of an innings, but I value an ultimate pressure innings. Before the start of the South African innings, I don't think anyone - even Gibbs, thought they could win, and even with such a huge total, for at least the first 75 runs of his innings there would have been a lack of pressure [not a whole lot though]. Don't get me wrong, definately up there in there as number 2 for mine, but the best I ever witnessed was this by Michael Bevan.

Show me an innings that had more pressure [Australia needed to win badly] that doesn't involve the man himself.

thierry henry

International Coach
dontcloseyoureyes said:
Australia may be the best of the modern era, but that attack is hardly deserving of the title.

There's no doubt Gibbs played a monster of an innings, but I value an ultimate pressure innings. Before the start of the South African innings, I don't think anyone - even Gibbs, thought they could win, and even with such a huge total, for at least the first 75 runs of his innings there would have been a lack of pressure. Don't get me wrong, definately up there in the top 5 for mine, but the best I ever witnessed was this by Michael Bevan.

Show me an innings that had more pressure [Australia needed to win badly] that doesn't involve the man himself.
ok, I realise the Australian attack was comparatively weak. Or just plain weak. Nevertheless, Australia is Australia.

I disagree with your definition of pressure. Gibbs (and the rest) went out there to win the game, and win the series, against the #1 team in the world (which is why I think it's such a big deal despite the somewhat second string attack). In my opinion if you try to win an important game and succeed then there must have been some pressure.

It strikes me as quite absurd to say a smaller innings in a smaller chase is better on the basis that the larger innings was so improbable that Gibbs himself never dreamed of achieving it.

Umpire Money

State Vice-Captain
Bevan's 78no against WI was the best I have seen.(That said I was in bed last night and didnt get to see this innings)

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
I say Gibbs' innings, but that kind of ruins the thread.

My personal Favs are Cairns' century against South Africa in 2001 and also his one in the final of the Champions trophy. Both of them off the top of my head.

Swervy

International Captain
I would be happy to go along with Gibbs' inning yesterday as being the best ever, however Richards in 84 vs England may have something to say about that

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I wouldn't rate it the best because so many others performed comparable innings in the same match. Ponting made a very similar score, and though it wasn't in a chase and wasn't a matchwinner, I don't think you can argue that Gibbs played that much better. For me, the best innings ever would come in more difficult batting conditions against a better attack in a lower scoring game.

The best I have seen is Bevan's New Years '96 innings, but Richards would have to be close to the best, given he was batting with the tail and such.

Similarly, I don't rate Ponting's 150 odd in the WC final as the best (though it was obviously extremely good) because however big the stage was, Australia made 350 and batting was extremely easy.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Im not sure Gibb's was even the best in the game yesterday. I can't quite make up my mind.

Batting first, Ponting designed that innings and went about it through his own initiative and brilliance. He had no need to go postal on that attack the way he did apart from backing his own talent and the small boundaries.

Batting second, Gibbs had no choice but to go for it. His innings was not dictated by his own mentality but by the game situation. On the flip side he scored more than Ponting and his team won.

Still can't make up my mind but both are up there with the best

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
For reference, this is the innings:

http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Matches/MatchScorecard_ODI.asp?MatchCode=0318

189 runs. The team only scored 272. The opposition only scored 168. The highest score in the team other than Richards was only 26. The team was 6/98 and then 9/166, and Richards scored almost his last century batting with the number 11. The bowling attack he was facing was quite good.

Can't see how Gibbs innings compares.

Swervy

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:

http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Matches/MatchScorecard_ODI.asp?MatchCode=0318

189 runs. The team only scored 272. The opposition only scored 168. The highest score in the team other than Richards was only 26. The team was 6/98 and then 9/166, and Richards scored almost his last century batting with the number 11. The bowling attack he was facing was quite good.

this is why jusy going off scorecards is dangerous, I saw both innings in question here (Richards and Gibbs)....no matter what the circumstances, there is no denying that Gibbs' batting from about his score being 70, was about as dominating performance as you will ever see (bar the odd lapse of concentration)...

Richards innings was just great for other reasons. I suspect over time, Richards innings will be judged the best, but I dont think the acheivements of Gibbs (and Ponting) should be diminished simply because it was a flat track

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:

I retract my vote for Gibbs. This is simply incredible.

C_C

International Captain
It was a brilliant innings but best ever ? Umm.. NO!

The best ODI innings IMO was Viv Richard's 180+ score against England.
There are several others that i can nominate.