• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mick Lewis Tribute Thread

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
andyc said:
Just for the record Chaminda, you'd better not come down to Rosanna and say that.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

That's great :lol:

I wonder where Josh is at?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Dasa said:
The thread isn't ridiculing Lewis for one performance...it's ridiculing him for a mediocre career thus far, and as far as I can see the only reason you brought Murali into it is because the thread-starter is a Sri Lankan fan. That has an air of 'genuine nastiness' about it IMO. There have been plenty of threads ridiculing one player or another...including several about Murali. Even the thread congratulating Murali on reaching 1000 wickets degenerated into the usual...why didn't you speak up then, since that thread had much of of an air of "genuine nastiness" about it than this one?
That would probably be because I didn't read it.

Anyway, so far as this not being related to Lewis breaking Murali's record, check the first line of the post. It clearly was about that, and everyone else obviously noticed it.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
That would probably be because I didn't read it.

Anyway, so far as this not being related to Lewis breaking Murali's record, check the first line of the post. It clearly was about that, and everyone else obviously noticed it.
Then read the second line of the post. The point was brought up because of his record breaking performance, but it is clearly more about his general mediocrity...and again about the air of nastiness about the thread, it was clearly outlined that the thread is friendly banter.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. I just thought it was a bit nasty to bring up Murali in comparison to Lewis, and it reflects the bias against Murali that a lot of people have.

Last edited:

Dasa

chaminda_00 said:
Hey Dasa i wouldn't worry about people bringing up Murali, its not that big of a deal.
It annoys me a lot, that's all. It seems people'll take any opportunity they can to say something negative about Murali.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
If anything I was trying to defend Murali!. He said 0/113 makes him the worst bowler of all time, so going by that..he was implying that Murali would be up there too!.

Settle down son.

Dasa

Tim said:
If anything I was trying to defend Murali!. He said 0/113 makes him the worst bowler of all time, so going by that..he was implying that Murali would be up there too!.

Settle down son.
I didn't even notice I quoted you. Sorry to tar you with the same brush.
Anyway, I'm over it.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I reckon this thread is fine.......That Snedden record of 12-105-2 has been in place since 1983 and was always going to be difficult to topple ....top effort from Lewis. Deserves his own thread :laugh:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
As far as I'm concerned, any Victorian is allowed to bag Lewis. Its our right.

When his mug is the sole representative of Victorian cricket in ODIs for Australia, and he puts in performances like that, well its almost as bad as WA must have felt when they had Williams' face as one of their representatives.

Granted Dorey's face isn't much prettier :ph34r:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Dasa said:
It annoys me a lot, that's all. It seems people'll take any opportunity they can to say something negative about Murali.
As opposed to saying something negative about Lewis, who has had much less of an opportunity at international level, and may not be of the same class, but surely put in a big effort all the same. The players who deserved to be ridiculed for failure are those who are clearly talented enough to play international cricket, but still fail miserably at it.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
As opposed to saying something negative about Lewis, who has had much less of an opportunity at international level, and may not be of the same class, but surely put in a big effort all the same. The players who deserved to be ridiculed for failure are those who are clearly talented enough to play international cricket, but still fail miserably at it.
I agree with you. Its not like Lewis was a superstar who had his *** handed to him. He is a guy just trying to make it who may or may not be out of his depth. If this was McGrath then it should be a huge story.

Its also not as if all the other bowlers went at just 3 or 4 an over and that he was the only the only guy with shocking stats. His figures were just the most expensive out of an expensive bunch on a very hard day for the bowlers.

Still they were pretty bad

Langeveldt

Soutie
KaZoH0lic said:
Lewis was awful and has never excelled. It's a spit in the face for every deserving bowler to have to watch him.
Exactly.. Thats not a shy at lewis who tried his heart out and is probably near suicidal right now, but for whoever selected the bloke!

Will Lewis have a first class career to go home to? He wouldn't get into many county sides from what I've seen of him.. A poor mans Mark Ealham who cant bat.. I could get the guy a Zimbabwean passport..

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Langeveldt said:
Will Lewis have a first class career to go home to? He wouldn't get into many county sides from what I've seen of him.. A poor mans Mark Ealham who cant bat.. I could get the guy a Zimbabwean passport..
And yet 225 FC wickets at an average of 27podd suggests that he gets the job done in Pura Cup cricket. I don't think they care how he gets the job done, once he does it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
zinzan12 said:
I reckon this thread is fine.......That Snedden record of 12-105-2 has been in place since 1983 and was always going to be difficult to topple ....top effort from Lewis. Deserves his own thread :laugh:
He even did it with 2 overs to spare!

Tom Halsey

International Coach
chaminda_00 said:
The difference between Murali and Lewis is that Murali was a one off and Lewis has basically done it his whole career and a decent performance was an one off.
No, Murali's always done badly in Australia, so that wasn't exactly a one-off either.

I agree with Liam, to be honest I don't agree with ridiculing anyone for being the "worst bowler ever" - he tried.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Dasa said:
What's with people bringing up Murali. Any opportunity to (yet again) try to play down his achievements. The two aren't remotely comparable. Perhaps if Lewis had taken over 400 ODI wickets while giving away less than 4 runs per over, the point would be somewhat relevant.
Erm, he said "it's official, Mick Lewis is now the worst ODI bowler ever" or something to that extent.

If he's going by worst figures as the "official", Murali is officially the 2nd worst.

Of course he's not, it's just to prove that the original argument was weak.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Dasa said:
Ahhh so the thread would be just fine if an Australian supporter had started it? I don't see the thread as gloating at all, just pointing out that Lewis is out of his depth at international level, which is something I don't think anyone would disagree with. Yet you and others compare Lewis to Murali, who is a proven brilliant performer and one of the best ever.

You and others decided to make an issue of who the thread starter supports when he didn't mention it. This thread had nothing to do with nationality or team support until you guys brought up Murali. No ridiculous double standards here either since chaminda_00 never said Murali's 99 run spell meant "nothing at all".
What on Earth is your problem? They're not trying to have a go at Murali at all, they're just disproving the original argument.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Dasa said:
The thread isn't ridiculing Lewis for one performance...it's ridiculing him for a mediocre career thus far, and as far as I can see the only reason you brought Murali into it is because the thread-starter is a Sri Lankan fan.
He used the "official" marker as the players' worst bowling firgures. So, while he did provide other stats, he is effectively basing it on one performance.

Murali was brought into it solely to disprove the argument, not to hate on Murali, or because the thread-starter is Sri Lankan.