• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is This Where One Day Cricket Is Heading?

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
I'll remember this Aus v SA game as long as I live

The result had nothing to do with Choking, this game showcased the best sustained batting/hitting in the history of one day cricket without a doubt. The whole game had a surreal feeling like none other I have ever seen. It was literally 20/20 from the word go.

The word is both sides bowled poorly and yes to a degree they did but I got the impression that there was nowehere anybody could bowl to main runmakers in this game, especially Smith and Gibbs. There weren't even that many no balls and wides.

It was just awesome awesome batting, the likes of which i have never seen anything even close.

I can't believe the average first innings score is only 232 on that ground.

I like the stat that came up when Ponting was on about 100, something like -

Attacking shots - 65
Defensive shots - 1
Balls let go - 1

The interesting thing is - Would SA got anything like that total if they batted first. I'm thinking no...they probably would have been more conservative. Hard to say. Australia dragged them up to those heights and they had no choice.

Will teams aspire to these sort of scores in future?

Is this the future of one day cricket?

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
It must be just me? I thought that just about the worst game of cricket I have ever watched:@

Why not just hire a bowling machine and pitch the ball where the batsman wants it and see how many sixes they can hit.

If that is the way ODI cricket is going, wake me up when the Test Matches start:dry:

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
I hope not, for one main reason. The standard of bowling has gone down in recent years, and I believe if this sort of thing happens in the more popular (crowd and population wise) form of the game, good bowlers will become lesser, as more people would rather be a batsman in these sorts of conditions. If the bowling becomes lesser, I think the batting will become lesser. Lesser bowling + lesser batting = Lesser cricket.

There used to be a time when 250 was a very good ODI score. Not really anymore. I can't say that I prefer it that way.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
archie mac said:
It must be just me? I thought that just about the worst game of cricket I have ever watched:@
It's not just you. After the initial shock of seeing so many runs, it just gets boring seeing fours and sixes over and over. Bowlers have no chance with the conditions the way they are.

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
Dasa said:
It's not just you. After the initial shock of seeing so many runs, it just gets boring seeing fours and sixes over and over. Bowlers have no chance with the conditions the way they are.
I think you're underestimating the quality of the batting in this game.

Yes the bowling wasn't anything great but one day cricket has been played on flat wickets since day one and there has never been anything like this before.

Can't just blame some average bowling and a flat wicket.

Gibbs, Ponting Smith and Hussey were in the zone

parttimer

U19 Cricketer
I hope its a one-off, i prefer a more even contest between bat and ball. That said batsmen are supposed to dominate in this form of the game and it was very enjoyable to watch, but it'd grow tedious quickly IMO. There must be a little innit for the bowlers otherwise its not a proper contest

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
It would have been amazing to see this game live, although I hope games likes this remain rare. It's just as satisfying to see a jaffa go rocketing past the outside edge as seeing a six creamed over midwicket.

If it's a tight finish, who cares if the teams only managed 250 each? That type of score usually means there was good performances all over the park, not just from the batting crease.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
it was something special to watch, but i doubt the game is headed this way...
i for one doubt we'll see too many more matches like that and thats the way i like it, as exciting as it was we dont need these games all the time...

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's hard enough for England and India to reach 350 in an innings atm....
then two teams hit 800 runs in a day...

I think that it's just a one off though tbh

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
archie mac said:

Why not just hire a bowling machine and pitch the ball where the batsman wants it and see how many sixes they can hit.

If that is the way ODI cricket is going, wake me up when the Test Matches start:dry:
Weren't you the one suggesting that powerplays should be able to be chosen by the batting team :ph34r:

As far as I'm concerned, a one-off game where 400 is scored twice in one match, yet the rest of the games in the series didn't even have a score over 300 is much less concerning than a series where 300+ is scored consistenyl over 3-5 matches. This was the only batsman dominated game in the series, and the bowlers in that match deserved to go for 400 runs.

Add Pollock, McGrath, Nel and Kaspa or Gillespie and that would not have happened, not to that extent anyway.

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
Jono said:
Weren't you the one suggesting that powerplays should be able to be chosen by the batting team :ph34r:.
Now I know how a movie star feels when they are quoted out of context :laugh:

Just to try and clear things up before the tabloids get hold of the story:cool:

I was making a suggestion on the understanding they were going to keep the power plays in the OD game, and I was suggesting an idea to make them a little more interesting.

The fact that I have posted any number of post against high scoring and condition favouring batsman games of ODI cricket seems to have been forgotten by Jono, who I am now almost certainly must be either a Collingwood, Carlton or Essendon supporter? :ph34r: But if it happens that he supports the mighty Kangaroos all is forgiven:)

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Personally, I don't see this game having any lasting effect on ODI cricket itself - it was a freak. Should any team get close to making 434 in future you can bet your house (or your life, aussie :D) on it that the chasing team won't chase it down.

Haddin

U19 Debutant
So is it better when a team scores 140, and another gets 120? Yes, sir!, I will never for get the ING Cup Final.:)

Swervy

International Captain
Barney Rubble said:
Personally, I don't see this game having any lasting effect on ODI cricket itself - it was a freak. Should any team get close to making 434 in future you can bet your house (or your life, aussie :D) on it that the chasing team won't chase it down.
Maybe not this game in itself, but I do think yesterdays game is an effect of the pace of the game in general these days, and each form of cricket is feeding of the other to produce higher scores (ie. there is no doubt that ODI tactics have been effecting how test cricket is played, and maybe now that teams can see that they can sustain a fast rate at test level for a long period of time, that is feeding back in ODI again).

As I said in another thread, back in 82/83 when England scored 290 odd in 50 overs...no-one would have ever thought NZ could have chased that score down, and it happens much more frequently now.

I think in the next 3 or 4 years we will see the odd 400 score popping up, but as time goes on, with flat pitches etc, more and more will occur.

The thing is, I dont see this as being the death of bowling as some people would suggest. AS batting has evolved throughout the history of the game, so has bowling, usually in response to the batting. Somewhere sometime soonish, the balance will be be brought back...so in fact IMO, days like yesterday can only be good for the game

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
The difference was that the Surrey/Glam game had one obscenely short square boundary and everything went that way. Yesterday was huge shots everywhere from everyone.