• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is This Where One Day Cricket Is Heading?

Demolition Man

State Vice-Captain
i hope the game does not continue to go like that or thae art of bowling will simply die out and we will have 11 batsmen playing 11 batsmen.

Bobisback

International Regular
I think it was the best game of cricket ever. How can you say it was boring?

I hope 400's come more often, alot more excitement in it for the crowd, and who cares if the bowlers get knocked around a bit, Bracken still took 5/whatever so he would be happyish about that.

But that being said, 334 used to be unbeatable. SAF deserve a pat on the back, they stood to the occasion.

I cant wait for the World Cup, if this happens in a regular tour, imagine what extraordinary feats we will see then!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Top_Cat said:
This game = :sleep1:
Well it did end at like 4am Australian time.

However the sight of Lewis' mug has kept me up for some nights, I'll tell you that.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think it was the best game of cricket ever. How can you say it was boring?
Easy. Run fests on a flat wicket end up being pretty pointless affairs. Some of us like our cricket with a bit of depth and hitting the ball to or over the fence is a small part of the game. Games like this basically reduce the role of the bowler to near pitching machine level and that's boring. Boundaries roped-in and ultra-flat pitches just turn the game into a six-hitting contest. American League authorities did the same thing to baseball by juicing the balls, changing the rules on diet supplements and allowing previously-banned alterations to bats. It greatly affected the game (baseball has never been less popular in the states) and killed-off your Ty Cobb-style 'place the ball and leg it to first-base to set up a strategic position' players, replacing them with giant cavemen who could just hit real hard.

Mind you, this is pretty much why I rarely watch ODI's anymore. You want a contest with depth? The Ashes TEST series 2005 would be a pretty good start as a series which literally had everything. This match will wow people for about a fortnight then be forgotten, unlike the aforementioned Ashes series.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Top_Cat said:
This match will wow people for about a fortnight then be forgotten, unlike the aforementioned Ashes series.
The only part I can disagree with here. I doubt you, nor anyone who witnessed it, will forget it.

Bobisback

International Regular
Australia broke the world record, not by 5 runs either, they thrashed it, and South Africa went out and played for the win. They chased down the impossible it what was an unbelievable feat.
Personally i went to bed thinking, well thats the series, after seeing what we have got and seeing Dippenaar falling for 1 off 7. And im sure i was not the only Australian to think that. When i woke up and heard we had lost i was amazed!

How can you not think that game was great? Im sure the players are sitting there going well that was boring, i hope we get 250 next game :(

neutralguy

U19 Debutant
how about reducing the fielding restrictions to just 5 overs instead of the current 20 overs or getting rid of it all together. In this way sanity will prevail and we will see more even contest between bat and ball or atleast sub 300 scores.

Langeveldt

Soutie
archie mac said:
It must be just me? I thought that just about the worst game of cricket I have ever watched:@

Why not just hire a bowling machine and pitch the ball where the batsman wants it and see how many sixes they can hit.

If that is the way ODI cricket is going, wake me up when the Test Matches start:dry:
But surely thats just what Twenty20 is?

foe

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
its just a one off.....i dont think theres any need to worry :)

one game out of 2349 odi's...i'm surprised no one got to 400 earlier

open365

International Vice-Captain
It just stuck me today how odd it is that when there's an ODI match on an unbelievabely flat pitch, everyone applauds the batsmen and says it was the best day ever, but when we get a flat pitch in a test match and Sehwag hits a run a ball 250, no one gives a dam.

Natman20

International Debutant
I hope Twenty/20 doesn't effect ODIs to much. I would prefer to watch an actual battle between bowlerss and batsman otherwise its just boring and not true cricket. Every new cricket follower would love it though possibly dragged in by Twenty/20. I hope games like that don't happen again for some time.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Dasa said:
It's not just you. After the initial shock of seeing so many runs, it just gets boring seeing fours and sixes over and over. Bowlers have no chance with the conditions the way they are.
It was flat, but not that flat.

Some batsmen just batted extremely well and some bowlers bowled extremely badly.

But it wasn't a great game, no.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The only part I can disagree with here. I doubt you, nor anyone who witnessed it, will forget it.
You underestimate the sheer overwhelming force of my apathy towards ODI's. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dasa said:
It's not just you. After the initial shock of seeing so many runs, it just gets boring seeing fours and sixes over and over.
What I hope is that, after a while (say another 4 or 5 years) of scoring like we've seen the last 5 years, more people might realise that.
Then maybe we'll get people clamouring to play on dirt. "Why are we seeing all these 30 and 40 all-outs? The crowds want to see stumps flying and batsmen hopping all over? That wasn't a good one-day wicket, it was too high-scoring".

archie mac

International Coach
Richard said:
What I hope is that, after a while (say another 4 or 5 years) of scoring like we've seen the last 5 years, more people might realise that.
Then maybe we'll get people clamouring to play on dirt. "Why are we seeing all these 30 and 40 all-outs? The crowds want to see stumps flying and batsmen hopping all over? That wasn't a good one-day wicket, it was too high-scoring".
Where are you quoting form Richard? :)