• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

So are Australians really Chokers ??

RolledOver

U19 Debutant
Thats what Smith called them to Ponting's disgust!! But interestingly Australian failed to defend the biggest ever score set in the first innings ever in a OD match!!!

So are the Australians really chokers?

RolledOver

U19 Debutant
Warne retaliates to Smith!

Smith should concentrate on his own game: Warne

JOHANNESBURG: Australian leg-spinner Shane Warne wasted little time renewing his verbal joust with South Africa captain Graeme Smith after flying into Johannesburg ahead of the three-Test series between the nations.

Warne told reporters that Smith had ‘made a fool of himself’ in Australia two months ago and advised the 25-year-old to pay more attention to his own game than passing comments at the opposition.

"I’m not sure how I’ll handle Graeme Smith yet," Warne said. "It was the worst performance by a South African team in Australia.

They lost the Test series 2-0 and it was probably only a bit of luck, and a good innings from Jacques Rudolph, that stopped them losing 3-0," told Warne.

"They didn’t make the finals of the one-dayers. And all Graeme Smith did was say some ridiculous stuff," he added. Smith had said in Australia that Warne was a ‘frustrated captain’ and that he put incumbent skipper Ricky Ponting under pressure, particularly when it was tight.

"Smith said it was to take the pressure off his team but, well, he didn’t make 50 in the series. He should have worried about himself," he said. "I don’t have any big statements to make.

We’ll just go out and keep performing like we have. They’ve never beaten us, and I hope we can continue that," he added.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The fact that Smith still hasnt learnt his lesson raises serious questions about his intelligence

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I love the fact that Smith gets into the skins of Aussies so much. Smith is so similar to so many Aussies, most of all Ponting. Yet they seem to hate him while backing themeselves.

Double standards. :sleep:

darko21

U19 Debutant
The bowling attacks for both sides were depleted and not in form. Only Lee and Brakcen for Australia was in form and Clark and Lewis are not at international standard yet. And Ntini and Hall were the only 2 for South Africa that could do damage. Telemachus just bowled crap at the end of his spell.
The battting attacks for both sides were top notch. Both teams have exceptional batsman and I am not surprised that South Africa came up. I am a true blue Aussie and love seeing Australia win but with a match like this, I didn't care who won.
Imagine Gilchrist and Smith opening followed by Ponting and Gibbs and backed up by Hussey and Boucher. I could then see a score of 500 in a one dayer.
I think it is a wakeup call to Australia. They had problems in England with a team that had hardly changed in years and then they go and cut players to fix it up at one day level. It's from one extreme to another. I think Australia should bring back experienced bowlers in to help the new bowlers. I know McGrath is out but we can't rely on him all the time. I think the attack should include Gillespie, Warne, Kaspa, Lee, Tait, Watson, Cullen and Clark. Youth (well Lewis, Clark and Bracken aren't young) are good for the game but they need support from people that have been there.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pratyush said:
I love the fact that Smith gets into the skins of Aussies so much. Smith is so similar to so many Aussies, most of all Ponting. Yet they seem to hate him while backing themeselves.

Smith irks people because he doesnt back his words up.

parttimer

U19 Cricketer
Ponting is not a big talker before a series. I'd say Smith and Warne would be a closer comparison, only Warne has earned his right and Smith hasn't.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Given two consecutive world cup wins and a stellar record in finals, Australia are obviously not chokers.

They did of course defend very poorly yesterday.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
social said:
Smith irks people because he doesnt back his words up.
Being a loud mouth irks people regardless of whether some one can back it up or not. Maybe it doesn't irk the a wide section of people from the same nation just. For example Ganguly irked a lot of people despite backing himself at times.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
They have been to four world cup finals out of last 5, won 3 of those, Chokers !!:laugh: :laugh:

Sudeep

International Captain
RolledOver said:
Thats what Smith called them to Ponting's disgust!! But interestingly Australian failed to defend the biggest ever score set in the first innings ever in a OD match!!!

So are the Australians really chokers?
Yes. And so are each and every cricket-playing nation.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
dontcloseyoureyes said:
No, they just have a crap bowling attack [in ODI's].
I tend to agree. anyone know why Mick Lewis bowled 10 overs? hopefully this is the last we see of him.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:

No, Smith is a geniune idiot.