• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

So are Australians really Chokers ??

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I'm now starting to like Fat Gray, solely for his skills in winding up Australians.

At present I think he's just above'Tufnell' and behind 'Ganguly' - with 'Ranatunga' the élite rating.

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
They aren't chokers, they were just on odd occasion acting like jokers.

Seriously Australians played terrible cricket even though they still are the best team in the world. the fact that they allowed so many runs to be chased, the fact that bowlers that were being getting thrashing of a lifetime were being persisted and made to complete their quota of ten overs is beyond me.

When the regular players will return, Aussies will be back to their best.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Neil Pickup said:
I'm now starting to like Fat Gray, solely for his skills in winding up Australians.

At present I think he's just above'Tufnell' and behind 'Ganguly' - with 'Ranatunga' the élite rating.
How did Tuffers' wind them up, not giving them a toke on his bong?

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Pedro Delgado said:
How did Tuffers' wind them up, not giving them a toke on his bong?
Had a go at the Aussies (light-heartedly) at the AB Medal - Ponting spat the dummy, as is his wont.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
I see, first I've heard of that, ta.

*goes Googlin'*
It wasn't long ago, and it was very funny. IIRC he suggested that Warne phones Gibbs for counselling after the drop that cost the ashes. Anyway, enjoy it when you find it.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Dasa said:
Had a go at the Aussies (light-heartedly) at the AB Medal - Ponting spat the dummy, as is his wont.
To be fair, he didn't really "spit the dummy", did he? He said that he found it upsetting given that it was Allan Border Medal night, and that the players would use it for motivation in the next Ashes series. Taking it too seriously certainly, but it wasn't a tantrum.

It might show a lack of a sense of humour on Ponting's part, and I think it certainly does, but obviously the comments were designed to provoke a reaction (albeit in a light-hearted way), and I don't think Ponting's reaction was anything at all like spitting the dummy.

Dasa

Well, OK, it wasn't quite spitting the dummy....but similar to it, just not as extreme.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dasa said:
Well, OK, it wasn't quite spitting the dummy....but similar to it, just not as extreme.
It wasn't spitting the dummy as far as I saw it. And to be honest, the stuff he said was nothing more than had been said on here, pretty predictable stuff really.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Neil Pickup said:

Lol, if anyone ever reaches the Ranatunga ratings with Ponting still captain it'd be bloody hilarious. Smith seems like the best candidate, but you never know who could come out of the woodwork.

Give Pietersen captaincy, or Boucher can take over :ph34r:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
Lol, if anyone ever reaches the Ranatunga ratings with Ponting still captain it'd be bloody hilarious. Smith seems like the best candidate, but you never know who could come out of the woodwork.

Give Pietersen captaincy, or Boucher can take over :ph34r:
I doubt anyone can ever match Ranatunga, personally. He is in a class of his own.

I don't really find Smith or Tufnell or any of the others particularly annoying, and I don't think most Australian fans do either, though Michael Vaughan did grate a bit during the Ashes with his "it's like midnight out here!" antics and so on. Smith is just silly, and Tufnell was just harmless fun.

Ranatunga and Roger Harper are the only cricketers who I've ever been genuinely outraged by in my time watching cricket.

Dasa

andyc said:
Pretty sure the under-arm would take it.
Under-arm was still within the rules, even if it wasn't within the 'spirit of the game'. Claiming dropped catches is worse IMO - it's clearly against the rules (and always has been) and it's knowingly cheating.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Plus it was so damn obvious Bevan saw it, I mean come on.

Speaking of which, I wonder if Richard doesn't rate that knock (one of the best ever) by Bevan since he was given a chance. :p

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
Harper's dropped catch I'd imagine.

Up there with the worst sportsmanship ever?
Yeah. It wasn't just that he claimed a dodgy catch, which I'd say a fair few people have done, but the way he did it. The ball was sitting on the ground when he picked it up and claimed it, in full view of Bevan, with his body between the umpire and the ball. It's the only claimed catch I have ever seen where there was absolutely 0 doubt that the fielder knew what was going on and was attempting to cheat, and then he had the gall to glare at Bevan when he stood his ground.

In my opinion he deserved a severe ban from international cricket for it. Interestingly I can't find any photos of the incident or anything via google. I'm sure there must be one somewhere though.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Rashid Latif vs Bangladesh is up there. At least Roger Harper actually caught the ball, even if it was on the bounce.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Given two consecutive world cup wins and a stellar record in finals, Australia are obviously not chokers.

They did of course defend very poorly yesterday.
enough said.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
Yeah. It wasn't just that he claimed a dodgy catch, which I'd say a fair few people have done, but the way he did it. The ball was sitting on the ground when he picked it up and claimed it, in full view of Bevan, with his body between the umpire and the ball. It's the only claimed catch I have ever seen where there was absolutely 0 doubt that the fielder knew what was going on and was attempting to cheat, and then he had the gall to glare at Bevan when he stood his ground.

In my opinion he deserved a severe ban from international cricket for it. Interestingly I can't find any photos of the incident or anything via google. I'm sure there must be one somewhere though.
I've never seen that, but it sounds awful and if I ever meet him I'll get jolly batey with the fellow.