Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Warne on crowds

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!

Warne on crowds

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18436689-23212,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by Warne
    "On the field they sort of look after their own and so they should. They give me a bit of a hard time," Warne said.

"But that sort of fires me up. When the crowd gets into me I enjoy that because that makes me play better, it makes me more determined."

Warne famously won over the English crowds in last year's Ashes series.

"That's where Murali (Muttiah Muralitharan) was disappointing saying, 'I'm never going to tour Australia again because of the crowds'," Warne said of his Sri Lanka rival.

"If you actually try to have some fun with the crowd you can get along with them. At the end they were all singing in England, 'We wish you were English'."

I bet the english fans weren't shouting chucker, cheat at warne with their faces covered in black.

Hmm.. some of Warne's comments may seem a little foolish in light of South Africa chasing down 434.......

This game has made me a South African fan for life...
    Founder & President of VSAS

The dumbest thing he said there was that SA were lucky to lose 2-0 against Australia when it should have been 3-0.

Are you for real? SA handed the 3rd test to Australia on a plate. Had it not been for Smith's declaration the series would have been 1-0, a true reflection of how the series was. 2-0 heavily flatters Australia.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by dinu23
    I bet the english fans weren't shouting chucker, cheat at warne with their faces covered in black.
    I know, what does Warne expect. Murali to have fun with these crowds so they would start chanting "We wish you were white?"

International Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by chekmeout
    Warne's comments may seem a little foolish in light of South Africa chasing down 434.......
    The comment was about crowds, not about how poor/good SA are...

I agree with everyone on the Murali comments though - sportsmen have feelings too, so it does seem a strange comment.

One thing though, some of the comments about Warne were about his personal life, and there are more important things in life than sport - and, whether justified or not, I'd rather have someone say I'm a chucker than say I'm not a very nice person full stop.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    The dumbest thing he said there was that SA were lucky to lose 2-0 against Australia when it should have been 3-0.

Are you for real? SA handed the 3rd test to Australia on a plate. Had it not been for Smith's declaration the series would have been 1-0, a true reflection of how the series was. 2-0 heavily flatters Australia.
    To be fair, Warne's comments were really a response to Smith's attitude more than anything else. While it could easily have been 1-0 or even 1-1, it was quite a comfortable Australian win the end, and could have been 3-0 if it wasn't for Rudolph's innings. For Smith to come out after that series and failing to make the VB series finals and carry on about Australia's flaws is absurd, and Warne was attempting to make that point more than really attack South Africa as a side, I think.

Wasn't all that well expressed, obviously.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

No it couldn't have been 3-0 even if Rudolph's innings didn't occur and Australia won the 1st test. Say Rudolph's knock never happened, hence Australia are already up 2-0 going into Sydney. Would Smith still have made a brave, but still a kamikaze declaration? He did that to try and level the series, but I'm sure he wouldn't have done that in a dead rubber with a whitewash at stake. He would have thought ahead to the Aus tour of SA and tried to get some sort of advantage over them before that series ended. Australia were never going to win the 3rd test if SA didn't choose to declare. There just wasn't enough time and the pitch was far too flat. Plus SA were the better team for most of that match anyway.

It was a competitive series, and he really made it sound like Australia dominated, where in the end they were just the better team of a competitive series. I get what you're saying, Warne was just having a crack back at Smith who has had his foot in his mouth more times than I can think of, and has taken direct pot shots at Warne himself.

That being said, Smith was right about one thing. Australia did end up choking defending the largest ODI total ever, I mean you wouldn't back anyone to chase that in a test match

No it couldn't have been 3-0 even if Rudolph's innings didn't occur and Australia won the 1st test. Say Rudolph's knock never happened, hence Australia are already up 2-0 going into Sydney. Would Smith still have made a brave, but still a kamikaze declaration? He did that to try and level the series, but I'm sure he wouldn't have done that in a dead rubber with a whitewash at stake. He would have thought ahead to the Aus tour of SA and tried to get some sort of advantage over them before that series ended. Australia were never going to win the 3rd test if SA didn't choose to declare. There just wasn't enough time and the pitch was far too flat. Plus SA were the better team for most of that match anyway.

It was a competitive series, and he really made it sound like Australia dominated, where in the end they were just the better team of a competitive series. I get what you're saying, Warne was just having a crack back at Smith who has had his foot in his mouth more times than I can think of, and has taken direct pot shots at Warne himself.

That being said, Smith was right about one thing. Australia did end up choking defending the largest ODI total ever, I mean you wouldn't back anyone to chase that in a test match
    Hey Jono you are quite an anti-aussie considering you live in that county.

Any reasons?
    Last edited by Xuhaib; 12-03-2006 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib

Any reasons?
    I dont think he is anti anything.

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Warne is an insecure idiot. Taking potshots at Murali (yet again!) just to massage his inflated ego...he might be a champion cricketer, but does not seem like a pleasant person.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib

Any reasons?

I'm not anti-Aussie at all, I'm a born Australian and love this country. I love my Aussie Rules footy, and follow Australia in every other sport they play in other than cricket, as I am obviously an Indian cricket supporter. But when I read stupid comments, no matter from who it comes, I will criticise them. If Graeme Smith had come out and claimed SA were unlucky not to win the series instead of losing it, I would have just as equally had a go at him.

And in regards to me being anti-Aussie because I enjoyed seeing them lose to SA, well I had $40 on SA to win that series, so I think you'll understand why I was more than delighted

I'm not anti-Aussie at all, I'm a born Australian and love this country. I love my Aussie Rules footy, and follow Australia in every other sport they play in other than cricket, as I am obviously an Indian cricket supporter. But when I read stupid comments, no matter from who it comes, I will criticise them. If Graeme Smith had come out and claimed SA were unlucky not to win the series instead of losing it, I would have just as equally had a go at him.

And in regards to me being anti-Aussie because I enjoyed seeing them lose to SA, well I had $40 on SA to win that series, so I think you'll understand why I was more than delighted
    Oh...k so you are one of those who put money before country

BTW, congrats for the 40 dollar$.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar

SA handed all the Tests to Aus on a plate - if their catching had been up to the standards it'd been at for the previous year (and the Syndey weather had been more helpful) they could easily have won 0-3.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasa
    Warne is an insecure idiot. Taking potshots at Murali (yet again!) just to massage his inflated ego...he might be a champion cricketer, but does not seem like a pleasant person.
    He's smart enough... he knows that everyone will say he's a better bowler than Murali (as they've been doing so much the last year) if he keeps having a potshot at him.
    Warne may be a bigger character but he's not a better bowler.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information