• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tribute to Anil Kumble for 500 wickets

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He's been absolutely brilliant for so many years now, great to see him reach that milestone. What's also good is he keeps getting better and better. His last 3 years have comfortably been his best IMO.

The amount of games he wins for India is amazing.

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
_Ed_ said:
Congratulations. Brilliant, constantly underrated bowler.
Yeah, that's the problem.. If he were playing in another era, not this Warne-Murali era... he would probably get his due...

Anyways, take a bow Mr. Kumble... You're the dude!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hats off to the great man. It's a real pleasure to watch him bowl, like seeing a master craftsman at work. It's stating the obvious, but he's not half as big a spinner of the ball as Warne or Murali (or even MacGill or Kaneria, for that matter), but he more than makes up for it with his control. He thinks out batsmen. One of the greats, no question.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ironic thing is, Kumble's control is lesser now than it was for most of his career. He's developed other areas, though, and is clearly a better bowler now than he's ever been.
Certainly one of the best Indian spinners of the modern era - fit to rival any of the Bedi-Chandra-Prasanna-Venkat lot IMO.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Kumble has become so much more consistent in recent years. A very under rated bowler. If Warne and Murali hadn't been around, he would have been looked at as the best spinner of his era.

archie mac

International Coach
I really stood up and took notice of Kumble after his last Test bowling performance in Aust. On some of the flattest wickets I can remember in Aust. he was the one bowler a class above.

I know that playing well in Aust is not the be all and end all. but lets face it if you can do the business against Aust. batsman in Australian conditions you have to be in the top draw as a bowler.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Class Act.Greatest Indian Test Cricketer ever. He has won India more matches than any other Indian player. Congratulations Anil, Well Deserved. :)

foe

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Congrats to Kumble for yet another feat!!

he's always been one of my favourite players:)

i wonder what he has to do to get the kind of recognition he deserves...hell,he even took all 10 wickets in an innings

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
foe said:
Congrats to Kumble for yet another feat!!

he's always been one of my favourite players:)

i wonder what he has to do to get the kind of recognition he deserves...hell,he even took all 10 wickets in an innings
Congrats to a great bowler.
Never got the credit deserved because there have always been more flamboyant and glamerous bowlers around.

A bowling equivelant of Border or Steve Waugh if you will.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sanz said:
Class Act.Greatest Indian Test Cricketer ever. He has won India more matches than any other Indian player. Congratulations Anil, Well Deserved. :)
I wouldn't quite go that far - I've still got a huge soft spot for Kapil Dev.

He's in the same bracket though, along with Vishy, Sachin, Gavaskar and Vinoo Mankad (and of course Ranji).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
archie mac said:
I really stood up and took notice of Kumble after his last Test bowling performance in Aust. On some of the flattest wickets I can remember in Aust. he was the one bowler a class above.

I know that playing well in Aust is not the be all and end all. but lets face it if you can do the business against Aust. batsman in Australian conditions you have to be in the top draw as a bowler.
Not if you can't do it anywhere else against anyone else.

archie mac

International Coach
Richard said:
Not if you can't do it anywhere else against anyone else.
Did you have some one in mind? I can't think of to many in fact I can't think of anyone, except maybe Bruce Reid and that was more injury:)

Or though there was a player named Bill Whitty who I think was much better in Australian conditions.