• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fleming Rips into Richardson

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
So, CricketProducer, in order for us to gain an understanding of the chain of events, did this "planned" outburst at Rigor happen immediately after the pre-day interview?

Forgive me, if you will, but I see no humour in a childish outburst, planned or otherwise, at a commentator.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
CricketProducer said:
Well I wouldn't call it a hoax. It's inadvertant at best. An accident that Willow TV would broadcast at that time of the day. Rigor is only commenting on Sky's Sport 365 tonight. The rest of the interest, understandably, we want diverted to people watching the show on Thursday.
Whatever. Do you think that calling yourself Cricket Producer somehow makes you one? Who are you? Who do you work for?

If it's such a brilliantly executed spoof then why do you need to come on here and convince a bunch of pasty internet geeks that it's so? Surely it would be far cleverer to just keep your mouth shut and let the results speak for themselves.

Acting is an art that most people haven't got a talent for. Fleming can't act. Anyone who's seen his Fujitsu commercials will know that. This was an obviously genuine, angry outburst.

CricketProducer

Cricket Spectator
You won't till you see Cricket Company on Thursday night. That is what that part of the shoot was for. The initial interview was for the 30 minute build up, which if you saw that interview was a good interview so far as tactics are concerned, bearing in mind that the Windies team would see that interview before they took the field. Then as soon as Rigor says 'thanks, good luck' that was Flem's cue to 'have a crack' at Rigor. If it was real, why would Sky try and cover it up? If Fleming was really saying what he said for real, Sky wouldn't happy about it and wouldn't be trying to make excuses for him.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
I have two things to say...

"These are not the droids you are looking for..."

and

"You will go across the road and get me some orange sher-bert"

Nice try Sky, but until I see Fleming and Richardson in a sit down interview laughing about how funny it is and NOT not commentating, my brain will remain unwashed.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
CricketProducer said:
You won't till you see Cricket Company on Thursday night. That is what that part of the shoot was for. The initial interview was for the 30 minute build up, which if you saw that interview was a good interview so far as tactics are concerned, bearing in mind that the Windies team would see that interview before they took the field. Then as soon as Rigor says 'thanks, good luck' that was Flem's cue to 'have a crack' at Rigor. If it was real, why would Sky try and cover it up? If Fleming was really saying what he said for real, Sky wouldn't happy about it and wouldn't be trying to make excuses for him.
:-O That is one of the dumbest, least informed comments I have ever heard. Ever.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
sirjeremy11 said:
I have two things to say...

"These are not the droids you are looking for..."

and

"You will go across the road and get me some orange sher-bert"

Nice try Sky, but until I see Fleming and Richardson in a sit down interview laughing about how funny it is and NOT not commentating, my brain will remain unwashed.
LOL! Austin Powers rules.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
CricketProducer said:
If it was real, why would Sky try and cover it up? If Fleming was really saying what he said for real, Sky wouldn't happy about it and wouldn't be trying to make excuses for him.
They would cover it up because it concerns one of their employees. Standard procedure - close ranks, deny everything, try to weather the storm. Every company's PR hacks behave like that.

brettishere

Cricket Spectator
The media loves him

James said:
If this happened to Michael Vaughan, and the British media got a hold of it, Vaughan would be eaten alive.

Stephen Fleming obviously has a protective shield around him here.

It's a very good cover up I must say.
Fleming has always had a protective shiled around him, most his ex mates are invovled in the cricket media and he is the one player we have who they never seen to disagree with, desipte his lack of form.

Sky's head of cricket Martin Crowe was the one who said it was a hoax, and not one Journalist is taking him to task.

Anyone who has seen Fleming try to act in the Rexona ad's, know that he wasnt acting in this video.

His body language, his tone of the voice, that video was real, too bad we have no Journalists here who have enough guts to admit this.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Looking at it again, I'm not totally swayed either way. Richardson's reaction does seem to be about as convincing as one of those WWE wrestlers when the other guy says something about his momma. But then again I'm not entirely convinced by the whole story about the hoax. Doesn't seem to fit right.

brettishere

Cricket Spectator
steds said:
Looking at it again, I'm not totally swayed either way. Richardson's reaction does seem to be about as convincing as one of those WWE wrestlers when the other guy says something about his momma. But then again I'm not entirely convinced by the whole story about the hoax. Doesn't seem to fit right.
Take Richardson out of it, Fleming cannot act that well, he was really p*ssed, the tone of his voice his body language, and if it was scripted for a joke, it was a pretty poor script.

Fleming is known for being a bit thinned skinned, during an interview a few years ago he got really upset at a Pakistain Journalist, hes the type of person who doesnt take kindly to someone questioning him.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Have a read of the transcript before the video guys.

Bottom of the news item.

Explains a lot, and why Fleming went off, and why I believe it's no hoax.

GKN

Cricket Spectator
From Fairfax (Newspaper producer)

Fairfax, who own many of the main daily newspapers in NZ have posted this today
======================================================

Fleming fakes ripping into Richardson
13 March 2006

New Zealand cricket captain Stephen Fleming was caught on camera berating commentator Mark Richardson, calling his former teammate an 'idiot'.

The video caused confusion when when media reported it as a news item before it was revealed to be a hoax used to promote a television programme.

Sky TV said this morning that the encounter was a set-up for one of its shows.

Sky's executive producer of cricket, Martin Crowe, said, "The interview was a spoof in which Stephen has a crack at Mark about his commentary. It was scripted and not real although it has appeared on the internet as a news item.

"We regret any embarrassment to Stephen or Mark as a result of the item's broadcast."

New Zealand Cricket declined to comment on the stunt.

James

Cricket Web Owner
GKN said:
Fairfax, who own many of the main daily newspapers in NZ have posted this today
======================================================

Fleming fakes ripping into Richardson
13 March 2006

New Zealand cricket captain Stephen Fleming was caught on camera berating commentator Mark Richardson, calling his former teammate an 'idiot'.

The video caused confusion when when media reported it as a news item before it was revealed to be a hoax used to promote a television programme.

Sky TV said this morning that the encounter was a set-up for one of its shows.

Sky's executive producer of cricket, Martin Crowe, said, "The interview was a spoof in which Stephen has a crack at Mark about his commentary. It was scripted and not real although it has appeared on the internet as a news item.

"We regret any embarrassment to Stephen or Mark as a result of the item's broadcast."

New Zealand Cricket declined to comment on the stunt.
Have a read of the whole thread, a lot of us strongly believe it's a cover up.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
James said:
Have a read of the transcript before the video guys.

Bottom of the news item.

Explains a lot, and why Fleming went off, and why I believe it's no hoax.
Yeah exactly. The chuckling and the mocking obviously just sent him over the edge and he cracked it.

This hoax deal, I mean the only reason it should be true is because its the crappiest attempt of a cover-up ever. To think that someone would be stupid enough to use this as a cover-up means it must be true.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
I must say this has to be the worst excuse i have ever heard...

As if NZ Cricket would allow their captain to be involved in such a stupid stunt knowing fully well that there would be a chance of a leak and something like this happen...

Im with Steds, im undecided on the validity of the video as to whether its real or a hoax, but for them to be so stupid to even think of doing something like this especially in the middle of the Test is serioulsy ridiculous....

Iamhoax

Cricket Spectator
My god I have heard some rubbish in my time,

I wonder who they will upset next if this lame story from martin crowe is true, cause the performace from Steven was magic true feeling and passion, An Oscar for sure.

Steven should make a TV ad, hang on he did and he was crap, He sounded so boring and acted like he hated their products didnt come arcoss at all as a very good seller. but he must love Mark lol

That was as real as it gets

So Martin how many of these are you going to do now on that cricket show?

Is it going to be weekly now?
and always straight after a Interview like that

agerk

Cricket Spectator
no hoax

I think the fact that this occured in a rain break speaks volumes, you are quite right. Flem wouldn't be out jerking around with rigor, particularly given the state the match was in. Furthermore, anyone who has seen the fujitsu ads knows Flem couldn't pull that off. I think Sky's main interest would be to make Richardson look less like a willy, he is an employee of theirs after all. To be honest, Flem had a point, Rigor is a rubbish commentator.