• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Smith and Ponting choose Flintoff

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
When asked to pick 2 players from around the world to included in their team both Smith (SA) and Ponting (Aus) chose Andy Flintoff as one of them.

Given the choice of 2 players for your nation would Flintoff be one of them?

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I'd take Flintoff and Warne. Then you get yourself a world-class pace bowler, a world-class spinner, and a high-class batsman all together.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Barney Rubble said:
I'd take Flintoff and Warne. Then you get yourself a world-class pace bowler, a world-class spinner, and a high-class batsman all together.
Your support England don't you Barney ??? You'd already have Flintoff :laugh:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
zinzan12 said:
Your support England don't you Barney ??? You'd already have Flintoff :laugh:
I thought it was in a general way, not in a team-specific way. :ph34r:

In that case, I'd take Gilchrist and Warne. Although how happy they'd be at playing for England I'm not sure. :laugh:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
shaka said:
who was the other player smith ponting picked?
The others were Lara for Smith
Tendulkar for Ponting

Before anyone points out they were both in my overrated thread, Im not denying both are great.

Also the day I agree with everything Smith thinks is the day someone can shoot me

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
But Warnie hasn't even got a test century!!!!

Oh. You mean Flintoff.

Carry on.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd say Flintoff and Murali for an Aussie team. Then you could play Warne and Murali together, and have McGrath, Lee and Flintoff as your pacemen. We do, however, already have a pretty good second spinner in MacGill, so it might be better taking someone like Dravid.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'd go Dravid & Warney I think. We lack someone to really anchor an innings &, obviously, Warne a better bet than Gilo.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
andyc said:
I'd say Flintoff and Murali for an Aussie team. Then you could play Warne and Murali together, and have McGrath, Lee and Flintoff as your pacemen. We do, however, already have a pretty good second spinner in MacGill, so it might be better taking someone like Dravid.
Id say the Australian back up batting is strong than the backup spinning options.

Ive never seen such an assortment of riches.
I mean who would be Brad Hodge. Had to wait 'till over 30 to get a Test, averages nearly 60 in his 1st 5 games inc a double hundred and the poor bloke can't even get in the squad let alone the team.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
McGrath and Freddy, because there is no other player who is similar enough to either of them. Warne you have Murali, and there are a number of brilliant batsman around now-a-days, but McGrath and Freddy are unique in modern day cricket.

They'd obviously help India with two great fast bowlers, and Freddy's batting would allow Kaif/Laxman back into the team.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jono said:
McGrath and Freddy, because there is no other player who is similar enough to either of them. Warne you have Murali, and there are a number of brilliant batsman around now-a-days, but McGrath and Freddy are unique in modern day cricket.
Pollock for McGrath?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
andyc said:
Pollock for McGrath?
If we're talking about how they bowl, that argument can be made but if we're talking about how good that player is, I think McGrath has always been the better bowler. Pollock has always been an outstanding fast bowler, but McGrath is IMO the best Australian fast bowler ever, and the fact that he's been just as effective since pitches flattened out worldwide whereas Pollock has dropped off makes the difference for me.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
For Australia... Flintoff and Murali. Murali is the best bowler in the world outside of Australia, and Flintoff is probably next, and a capable batsman as well. As was said earlier in the thread, they could bowl with Warne, McGrath and Lee.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
For Australia... Flintoff and Murali. Murali is the best bowler in the world outside of Australia, and Flintoff is probably next, and a capable batsman as well. As was said earlier in the thread, they could bowl with Warne, McGrath and Lee.
yea Freddie & Murali would be my choices as well..