• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hair cuts in school

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
http://sport.guardian.co.uk/cricket/story/0,,1728691,00.html

Freedom of expression came at a high price for a teenager sent home from school for styling his hair like his cricketing hero Kevin Pietersen.

Although Pietersen has now shaved off his trademark hairdo, its punk spirit lives on in 15-year-old Carl Ferris, right, who refused to go back to class after being ordered by teachers to get rid of his "extreme" style. Carl, who attends Westfield community school in Somerset, saved his Christmas money to pay for the two-toned, spiky black cut, which cost £60. But when he arrived at school earlier this week, he was told by teachers that it was "too extreme". Rather than shave it off, as his hero has now done for the current Test tour in India, Carl, from Yeovil, chose to go home - and not return.

Article continues
Carl's father, Roy, claimed his son's decision was a human rights issue. "I was told two-toned hair wasn't tolerated and it had to be a single, natural colour," he said yesterday. "It's an invasion of human rights and how he chooses to express himself."

Mr Ferris said a number of girls at his son's school had two-toned hairstyles but had not been told to change them.

Carl, who has missed dozens of classes during the stand-off, yesterday moved to a compromise position with a shorter haircut, although the streak remained defiantly in place.

"He likes to glam it up a bit on the weekend and I don't see anything wrong with that," his father said.

From The Guardian

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
8-)
Battles between schools and student\parents are not something that'll go away.
School "uniform" can be stupid enough as it is, and there've been many cases which have made them look hairy in human-rights terms.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pratyush said:
http://sport.guardian.co.uk/cricket/story/0,,1728691,00.html

Freedom of expression came at a high price for a teenager sent home from school for styling his hair like his cricketing hero Kevin Pietersen.

Although Pietersen has now shaved off his trademark hairdo, its punk spirit lives on in 15-year-old Carl Ferris, right, who refused to go back to class after being ordered by teachers to get rid of his "extreme" style. Carl, who attends Westfield community school in Somerset, saved his Christmas money to pay for the two-toned, spiky black cut, which cost £60. But when he arrived at school earlier this week, he was told by teachers that it was "too extreme". Rather than shave it off, as his hero has now done for the current Test tour in India, Carl, from Yeovil, chose to go home - and not return.

Article continues
Carl's father, Roy, claimed his son's decision was a human rights issue. "I was told two-toned hair wasn't tolerated and it had to be a single, natural colour," he said yesterday. "It's an invasion of human rights and how he chooses to express himself."

Mr Ferris said a number of girls at his son's school had two-toned hairstyles but had not been told to change them.

Carl, who has missed dozens of classes during the stand-off, yesterday moved to a compromise position with a shorter haircut, although the streak remained defiantly in place.

"He likes to glam it up a bit on the weekend and I don't see anything wrong with that," his father said.

From The Guardian

So is being forced to wear ridiculously outdated school uniforms. They should have come up with some religious excuse to have that haircut and the school wouldn't have dared to do anything.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pratyush said:
This is a secret movement to subdue the KP Cult IMO.
It'll be fruitless.
Someone who is loved to love and loved to hate so much is never going to have his cult subdued.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:blink: :eek: :surprise: :wacko: :shocking: :jawdrop:
Nigh****chman is one thing but this has to take the biscuit for "most spectacular piece of filtering" so far.
Any ideas why?

EDIT: you've probably escaped the tor-rent of abuse, now.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Richard said:
:blink: :eek: :surprise: :wacko: :shocking: :jawdrop:
Nigh****chman is one thing but this has to take the biscuit for "most spectacular piece of filtering" so far.
Any ideas why?

EDIT: you've probably escaped the tor-rent of abuse, now.
To stop people posting links to tor-rents where you can watch live games online, probably. It won't be long before the word "stream" is in there too, probably.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Richard said:
It probably will probably be something to do with that... probably.
:) ;)
I picked up on that myself, actually. :laugh: Was gonna edit and change it, but I probably just couldn't be bothered. :p :D

Probably.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
:laugh:

Jeez, that's tantamount to child abuse!!!
I was wondering what you'd think of that. :laugh:

Upside is if you're very, very lucky, you can sell the coat to a rich Japanese tourist for £1,000, like some guy did about eight years ago. He got expelled for it though. :D

PY

International Coach
Barney Rubble said:
Upside is if you're very, very lucky, you can sell the coat to a rich Japanese tourist for £1,000, like some guy did about eight years ago. He got expelled for it though. :D
Do you have one of these coats still?

I have a good reputation on e-Bay. :cool2:

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Barney Rubble said:
None of you are qualified to talk about bad school uniforms. This is what I had to wear:

http://www.archivist.f2s.com/bsu/Blcoat.htm

*waits for ******* of laughter/abuse* :shy: :ph34r: :eek:

And incidentally, I know loads of the guys in those photos (the more modern ones, anyway!). :laugh:

EDIT: Haha! The word t-o-r-r-e-n-t is in the swear filter. :D
You wouldn't be a pilgrim by any chance, would you?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Barney Rubble said:
None of you are qualified to talk about bad school uniforms. This is what I had to wear:

http://www.archivist.f2s.com/bsu/Blcoat.htm

*waits for ******* of laughter/abuse* :shy: :ph34r: :eek:

And incidentally, I know loads of the guys in those photos (the more modern ones, anyway!). :laugh:

EDIT: Haha! The word t-o-r-r-e-n-t is in the swear filter. :D
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ahh that's gold. I've got a good mate who goes to the Royal Hospital School (I think that's what it's called) in Suffolk, and he has to wear some stupid sailor's uniform, which I thought was bad, but that one definetely takes the cake. Do you have a picture of you wearing it, Matt? :D

Barney Rubble

International Coach
andyc said:
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ahh that's gold. I've got a good mate who goes to the Royal Hospital School (I think that's what it's called) in Suffolk, and he has to wear some stupid sailor's uniform, which I thought was bad, but that one definetely takes the cake. Do you have a picture of you wearing it, Matt? :D
Probably, somewhere, but you sure as hell aren't ever gonna see it! :p

PY said:
Do you have one of these coats still?

I have a good reputation on e-Bay.
Nope, they make you give them back when you leave.

benchmark00 said:
You wouldn't be a pilgrim by any chance, would you?
No.

open365 said:
OMG,my school is called 'the bluecoat school' !!
Ours is 453 years old. I'd wager we got there first. :p