Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41

Thread: Players Speak Out!

  1. #1
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Posts
    55

    Players Speak Out!

    I was so impressed to hear a couple of the South African players speak out openly in a recent interview on 94.7. Kallis made some EXCELLENT points:

    1) why is all the time wasted on refering to the third umpire on whether or not the ball has gone for four or two, when deciding on a contreversial LBW or catch behind could be far more influencial on the match!?

    2) Why were the rules changes for Murilitheran's bent arm and no such concession for Johan Botha. (Okay, so Kallis may be a bit bias on this one, but he has a point doesn't he!?)

    Did you know, due to the match fixing scandals, players are no longer allowed to share rooms... (ICC regulation)

  2. #2
    Hall of Fame Member luckyeddie's Avatar
    Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Derby, England
    Posts
    17,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean
    Did you know, due to the match fixing scandals, players are no longer allowed to share rooms... (ICC regulation)
    They're not allowed to have a mobile phone switched on whilst they are in the dressing room either.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

  3. #3
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyeddie
    They're not allowed to have a mobile phone switched on whilst they are in the dressing room either.

    Interesting, but sad!

  4. #4
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago (Trinidad)
    Posts
    36,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean
    Interesting, but sad!
    I don't think it's sad at all. The cricketers are doing a job, and the "boss" says no cell phones, which is not an alien concept. It's perfectly understandable.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."



  5. #5
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean
    2) Why were the rules changes for Murilitheran's bent arm and no such concession for Johan Botha. (Okay, so Kallis may be a bit bias on this one, but he has a point doesn't he!?)
    Because the rule-changes weren't for Murali's bent arm, his bent arm is just a fact of life.
    Botha's arm isn't bent - he straightens his arm in delivery and has been proven to chuck. Murali has been proven not to.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  6. #6
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean
    I was so impressed to hear a couple of the South African players speak out openly in a recent interview on 94.7. Kallis made some EXCELLENT points:
    Unusual for Kallis to do much talking.
    Maybe he could say something to dispel this "selfish" rubbish.

  7. #7
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Unusual for Kallis to do much talking.
    Maybe he could say something to dispel this "selfish" rubbish.

    RUBBISH being the operative word. Kallis was often caught between a rock and a hard place. If he went hard at the ball and lost his wicket, he would have been called irrational. He used to play the anchor role that Dippenaar has taken over now, so he can afford to be more attacking (especially with AB in the mix)...

    I'm off the point.

    And by the way, players like Klusner and Kallis who are supposedly quite and shy, are quite vocal in the South African Media. (The interview I refered to on 94.7 also involved Smith, Nel, Ntini and Auther)

  8. #8
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    However Kallis plays, I think he'll always be stuck with the "selfish" label, until he talks more and gives the reasons (which people like me can see, and people like Ian Chappell can't) for his slowness-of-scoring and apparrent lack of willing to up the pace.

  9. #9
    Hall of Fame Member luckyeddie's Avatar
    Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Derby, England
    Posts
    17,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean
    Interesting, but sad!
    I'm amazed how Warney manages to keep up with current affairs without one.

  10. #10
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    However Kallis plays, I think he'll always be stuck with the "selfish" label, until he talks more and gives the reasons (which people like me can see, and people like Ian Chappell can't) for his slowness-of-scoring and apparrent lack of willing to up the pace.

    An Englishman with common sense!!

    Where have you been!?

    Don't you want to take a job as a commentator!?

  11. #11
    International Coach GotSpin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Posts
    12,839
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyeddie
    I'm amazed how Warney manages to keep up with current affairs without one.
    Ba dum tish!
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

  12. #12
    State Vice-Captain Armadillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Literate Essex- yes, it does exist!
    Posts
    1,092
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean

    Where have you been!?
    I think the real question is, where have you been?
    Member of LSU (bowl part time pies)

    RIP Fardin

  13. #13
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean
    An Englishman with common sense!!

    Where have you been!?

    Don't you want to take a job as a commentator!?
    I'd love to...
    Must be a surprise to find an Englishman who's not prejudiced against everything South African, I know...

  14. #14
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    I'd love to...
    Must be a surprise to find an Englishman who's not prejudiced against everything South African, I know...

    Tell me about it!

    It's difficult here at the end of Africa, we get underrated!

  15. #15
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    still scratching around in the same old hole
    Posts
    15,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean
    It's difficult here at the end of Africa, we get underrated!
    Not by Pat Symcox, all South Africans walk on water according to him. Im so desperate with his commentary I considering hurting myself by watching SABC's coverage.

    SA media coverage is unrealistic and this places so much pressure on players to perform above their ability.

    This SA team aint that great (its decent) but people expect guys like Amla, Steyn, Botha, Van derWath to walk in and be world beaters.

    I had to laugh, SA Sports Illustrated ran an article virtually comparing Johan Botha to the second coming of christ whilst at the same time he was fighting for his career with the chucking thing. Ah, how long lead times can make journalists look silly

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Similar Players
    By Armadillo in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 12-03-2006, 01:57 PM
  2. about regen players
    By prop247 in forum General
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 18-02-2005, 05:19 PM
  3. Indian Players not payed match fees for 10 months
    By V Reddy in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 20-12-2004, 01:50 PM
  4. JME01-Succesion Game
    By Jamee999 in forum General
    Replies: 115
    Last Post: 06-11-2004, 02:30 PM
  5. The NZ Players dispute... the players ...
    By Kimbo in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-11-2002, 01:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •