• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Pakistani fast bowler - Wasim or Imran?

Greatest Pakistani fast bowler?

• Total voters

Beleg

International Regular
The title is self evident. Feel free to give reasons. I have added an other (specify) option for those who tend to buck the trend.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Wasim was god of fast bowling, Imran only human(well for majority of his career).

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think there's very little in it, but I'd probably just edge it in Wasim's direction. Both bowlers had the most wonderfully oiled actions.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Go with the "other" myself: Waqar Younis for me. At his peak he was the most devastating bowler I've ever seen. His yorker was an absolute joy to behold.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The little mentioned earlier Pakistani pacers - true pioneers shouldn't be forgotted here. I don't think any one would have seen them play but from reports they were prpetty good. Guys like Fazal Mahmood.

C_C

International Captain
BoyBrumby said:
Go with the "other" myself: Waqar Younis for me. At his peak he was the most devastating bowler I've ever seen. His yorker was an absolute joy to behold.
Speaking of yorkers- you ever saw THAT yorker that felled Lara ? I think even Bradman would've been foxed by that one.

Beleg

International Regular
Speaking of yorkers- you ever saw THAT yorker that felled Lara ? I think even Bradman would've been foxed by that one.
Yup, IMO it's even better than the one (by Shoaib) that felled Tendulkar.

Interesting, I was actually expecting more votes for Imran.

Beleg

International Regular
The little mentioned earlier Pakistani pacers - true pioneers shouldn't be forgotted here. I don't think any one would have seen them play but from reports they were prpetty good. Guys like Fazal Mahmood.
Fazal Mahmood is the only Pakistani bowler of any note before Imran Khan came along. I suppose you can make a case for Khan Mohammad as well, but that's about the extent of it.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
It's Wasim clearly, but not by much. The lad who said Imran might have been better at his best has a right fine point. Imran in 1982 is scary. But it's Wasim. To be honest you could make an argument Waqar was better too. I'm not saying he is, but it would be a closer comparison. Waqar is underrated in that he has the best strike rate of any bowler in the modern era and it rivals SF Barnes. Yet he sprayed runs getting wickets, but getting wickets so fast means it doesn't matter.

Wasim's the most entertaining fast bowler ever for me.

Beleg

International Regular
The problem with Waqar is that he wasn't consistent. During a five year period of 1990-1994, he was the best pacer in the world IMO. However, he never really recovered from the injuries and faded away to a shade of his former effectivity.

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
At their peak (Imran, Waqar, Waseem) it was Waqar Younis who was the most deadly pacer (probably among the top 3 pacer ever that were most lethal at their peak). I remember Waqar use to clear the top order while Waseem use to wipe off the tail at a certain period.Unforunately Waqar faded away far too soon (wasn't the same bowler after those injuries).

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Ridiculously tough, but as great as Wasim was, and Waqar was in his peak, I'd just sneak Imran above the both of them. He really was a champion bowler, hell all 3 were.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Of these two, too tough to call. I'd put Waqar just above both of them, though.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Top_Cat said:
Of these two, too tough to call. I'd put Waqar just above both of them, though.
For once Mr Top Cat and I agree.

Waqar at his best was the most lethal bowler the world has ever since.
The English go on and on about Simon Jones' ability to reverse at 90mph...well Waqar could do that at 150 km/hr.

Beleg

International Regular
The English go on and on about Simon Jones' ability to reverse at 90mph...well Waqar could do that at 150 km/hr.
Are you really this pedantic or are you getting your units mixed up? If it's the former then it's moronic and the latter's just ironic.

Last edited: