• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Pakistani fast bowler - Wasim or Imran?

Greatest Pakistani fast bowler?

• Total voters
Definitely Imran Khan. I am among one of those who has seen the both at their best. Imran was really unplayable at his peak. Unfortunately he got injured at his prime and could not bowl for more than 2 years. He just batted. I can't forget his in dippers. Who else has seen his in dippers? Ask Wishvanath......

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fazal Mahmood must have been a fine bowler and he carried a weak attack on his own but even I am not so old as to have seen him bowl.

Overall I would go for Waqar - there are some valid criticisms of him in this thread but in his pomp he was a magnificent sight - that inswinging yorker was sublime - he made me feel a tad apprehensive when I saw him at the Oval and that was from 10 yards beyond the longest boundary

As a Lancastrian I am a great fan of Wasim too but he never achieved for us in the same way Waqar did for Surrey so he's just third behind Waqar and Imran

Now Aaqib Javed on the other hand ..............................................................

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, tried to find my above posts so many times, never managed. Never knew they were in one of God-knows-how-many Imran-vs-Wasim threads.

BTW, feel like posting a :laugh:

how many of you guys have seen Imran Khan at his best? I know all you you might have seen Waseem at his peak. I have seen both being a Pakistan. Wasim was a by product of Imran Khan. TBH Waqar was even better than Waseem. Waseem was good for one day bowling. He had a good economy rate. I would love to have the feedback of those guys who have seen both wasim and imran at their best. I don't have any doubt in my mind that Imran was definitely better.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
how many of you guys have seen Imran Khan at his best? I know all you you might have seen Waseem at his peak. I have seen both being a Pakistan.
Indeed, this is something I've always considered of great importance when the Imran-vs-Wasim question is raised on CW.

There isn't all that much between Imran and Wasim, but by-and-large if you look properly you'll see that Imran was better. Only a small number of learned people who are knowledgeable on cricket history and Pakistan would consider Wasim better than Imran - and most of them would be Australians. CW's population, however, contains a good few people who know of Wasim's excellence but not so of Imran's brilliance. Hence, in my view, Wasim will always get far more votes on a CW vs-Imran poll than he deserves.

ret

International Debutant
i don't know when was Imran's best period but i have seen Richards sweeping Imran in an ODI game :laugh: .... may be in the Nehru Cup in '89

The problem with Waqar is that he wasn't consistent. During a five year period of 1990-1994, he was the best pacer in the world IMO. However, he never really recovered from the injuries and faded away to a shade of his former effectivity.
He was really good.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
i don't know when was Imran's best period but i have seen Richards sweeping Imran in an ODI game :laugh: .... may be in the Nehru Cup in '89
You'll also see Imran knocking Richards over if you look far enough - something not all that many bowlers ever managed to do.

ret

International Debutant
You'll also see Imran knocking Richards over if you look far enough - something not all that many bowlers ever managed to do.
yep, but how many fast bowlers get swept like spinners? ....may be he was too predictable with his incoming deliveries *wondering*

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Seamers get swept all the time in the one-day game if needs must.

Heck, Mal Loye swept both Brett Lee and Mitchell Johnson for six less than 18 months ago. Wasn't wise to try it on Glenn McGrath, however.

Imran's career as a bowler was over after his injury in 84. When he was at his peak, Richanrds was never comfortable against Imran Khan. The only batsman who was comfortable against Imran was Gordon Greenidge.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u23PzWoKs0M&feature=related

a nice clip that i found .... awesome shot by King Viv, who is not even wearing a helmet!!
That's a nice clip but by then Imran was hardly the bowler he was known for.

What is more refreshing about the cricket those days is - Kings hits Imran for Six, starts walking casually towards the bowler as if nothing happened, they exchanged words, laughed and again ready to face/bowl the next ball with same competitiveness

Something like that is really invisible these days and for me taken the joy out of cricket.