• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Pakistani fast bowler - Wasim or Imran?

Greatest Pakistani fast bowler?

• Total voters

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Beleg said:
Are you really this pedantic or are you getting your symbols mixed up? If it's the former then it's moronic and the latter's just ironic.

Beleg sahib, Well I'm merely pointing out if people think JOnes is good, well what do theyt say about Waqar because he could do even more with the ball than Jones and at higher pace.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
Go with the "other" myself: Waqar Younis for me. At his peak he was the most devastating bowler I've ever seen. His yorker was an absolute joy to behold.
Waqar's is a case I've recently been compelled (by tec, of course) to study...
Early in his career there's little doubt that Waqar was a phenomenon the like of which cricket has rarely seen, but equally he was relatively ineffective for quite a lot of the time after that.
For mine, Waqar was a bowler of rare skill for a time, but that time was relatively speaking short enough for him to fall just short of the very top post-1970 pantheon of Marshall, Hadlee, Imran, Ambrose, Donald, Holding, Garner, McGrath, Wasim. He fits, IMO, in the 2nd tier of Lillee, Gillespie, Pollock, de Villiers, Willis, Bishop, Walsh.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pratyush said:
The little mentioned earlier Pakistani pacers - true pioneers shouldn't be forgotted here. I don't think any one would have seen them play but from reports they were prpetty good. Guys like Fazal Mahmood.
Pretty fruitless to compare the 1950s and 60s with the 70s, 80s, 90s and 2000s IMO.
Pretty good, sure, but we can only compare them to other pacers of their era, the Lindwalls, Millers, Bedsers, Stathams, Truemans, McKenzies, Halls, Tysons even.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
C_C said:
Speaking of yorkers- you ever saw THAT yorker that felled Lara ? I think even Bradman would've been foxed by that one.
That must be THE 2nd-most-famous delivery of the 1990s, surely?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Salamuddin said:
Beleg sahib, Well I'm merely pointing out if people think JOnes is good, well what do theyt say about Waqar because he could do even more with the ball than Jones and at higher pace.
Indeed - it's over-enthusiastic of anyone to compare the two, really, though there's no doubt they share some similar virtues.
So far, though, Jones has only really demonstrated devastating, Waqar-esque bowling for a single series. He has to do plenty more than that to be rated close to Waqar.
Incidentally... when was Waqar clocked at 150kph? Would he have been timed (accurately - ie not in 1996 when he was measured at 75mph average 8-)) until 1999\2000? If he was still bowling at 150ks in 1998\99 or 1999\2000... God knows how quick he was in 1994.
Likewise... Donald definately was bowling at 92mph in 1998. How quick was he, do we reckon, in 1994?

Xuhaib

International Coach
I will not vote since i cant seperate the two.

Speaking of Waqar i cant forget that golden period in which he use to regularly bowl spells like 6-3, 4-8, 5-6. These spells came with so regularity that even when the opposition needed some thing like 50 runs with 9 wickets in hand, one would still have a believe that the match could be won.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If you are willing to judge Waqar purely on the 1989-1994 period he is the greatest seamer of the modern era... better even than Marshall.
I, however, am not, and find it more accurate to say that he was a sensation for a relatively short period of time and a pretty average bowler for much of the rest of his career - which numbered plenty more matches than his sensational period.

Fusion

Global Moderator
I tend to agree with those that give the edge to Wasim. Imran at his peak may have been better, but Wasim takes the edge overall for me. Waqar is not that far behind the two. Alas, it's a shame the two W's couldn't get along better in the 90's. They could've gotten even better results for Team Pakistan.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I think I would take bowlers at their peak (peak not being one test or even one series or a couple of them. But some players retire very close to their peaks and others linger on well past them (kapil) and one tends to rate the latter lower.

Similarly some blossom early and other take longer.

Taken at his best (which must be close to a 6-8 year period) Imran was the better bowler. I think by more than the whisker some have suggested than Wasim at his best.

RolledOver

U19 Debutant
I would say Imran!

Akram under performed after Imran's retirement deliberately, and as such i'm even more confident in naming Imran as the better pacer.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
RolledOver said:
I would say Imran!

Akram under performed after Imran's retirement deliberately, and as such i'm even more confident in naming Imran as the better pacer.
Proof please.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BlackCap_Fan said:
Waqar, at his peak, was the most destructive bowler in the world, but Wasim seemed to do it for ages and ages.

Richard, those stats are nothing short of incredible.
Waqar pre-1995? Yes - as I said, it's something we've rarely if ever seen before.

iamdavid

International Debutant
I'm for Waqar aswell but I'd take Wasim over Imran...Gee we were blessed in the 90's as far as paceman were concerned, having parings like Walsh n Ambrose...Wasim n Waqar..Donald n Pollock...todays seamers not really fit to shine their boots.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
iamdavid said:
I'm for Waqar aswell but I'd take Wasim over Imran...Gee we were blessed in the 90's as far as paceman were concerned, having parings like Walsh n Ambrose...Wasim n Waqar..Donald n Pollock...todays seamers not really fit to shine their boots.
You are right but. ten years leter, on this very forum, young know alls will tell you, you are talking crap :)

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
purely as a bowler wasim tops it for me, but as an allround influence on the pakistan side has to be imran really.

adharcric

International Coach
SJS said:
You are right but. ten years leter, on this very forum, young know alls will tell you, you are talking crap :)
i cant say much about ten years from now, but currently young know alls (like me:) ) will agree that we were blessed in the 90s. longing for the days of wasim, donald & ambrose ... i didnt even see them enough in the early-mid 90s.

ten years later ~ you might be right, who knows, one may say "forget wasim and waqar .. today we've got freddie & simon, lee & tait, munaf & vikram!"

Last edited:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
ten years later ~ you might be right, who knows, one may say "forget wasim and waqar .. today we've got freddie & simon, lee & tait, munaf & vikram!"
Tait :laugh: