View Poll Results: Greatest Pakistani fast bowler?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wasim Akram

55 55.56%
  • Imran Khan

39 39.39%
  • Other (specify)

5 5.05%
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Greatest Pakistani fast bowler - Wasim or Imran?

Quote Originally Posted by hang on View Post
    if reid and devilliers get a mention, then bishop, gough, srinath also deserve a shout.
    bishop, yes. but gough, vaas and srinath were in the 29/30 average category, further down in the brett lee league.

International 12th Man Outswinger@Pace's Avatar

Icon1

Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    Jim Laker too.
    I would put Hugh Tayfield and Subhash Gupte ahead of Laker.

And Tayfield and Gupte would be just a notch below the fab four - Murali, Warne, Tiger and Grimmett. Bedi, Chandra, Gibbs, Laker, Qadir, Saqlain, Prasanna and the others would follow later. Jim was great in one series, but I'm afraid one swallow does not a summer make!
    Andy Zaltzman on Ravi Shastri: "A genuine dullness all-rounder. Scored and conceded runs at little more than 2 per over. If he could have bowled at himself, cricket would have died."

Need a laugh?

Icon1

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    yes i do think Vaas and Srinath deserve a shout if you mention De Villiers, and Reid.
    If these four deserve a shout, then Gillespie ought not to be left out either. A fair case could be made for Makhaya, Lee and Akhtar as well, IMHO. But a notch or two below Dizzy as Test bowlers.

Especially, if we consider ODIs, where Vaas and Lee would possibly be regarded as all-time greats of the format. None of the men I mentioned would be truly great bowlers in Tests though. Very good performers nonetheless!

EDIT: Ah! 90s bowlers! Didn't see that :-) Disregard this comment of mine.
    Last edited by Outswinger@Pace; 18-05-2011 at 05:20 AM. Reason: Detail noted

Quote Originally Posted by Outswinger@Pace View Post
    I would put Hugh Tayfield and Subhash Gupte ahead of Laker.

And Tayfield and Gupte would be just a notch below the fab four - Murali, Warne, Tiger and Grimmett. Bedi, Chandra, Gibbs, Laker, Qadir, Saqlain, Prasanna and the others would follow later. Jim was great in one series, but I'm afraid one swallow does not a summer make!
    Hmm. Jim Laker has an average of under 25 in 6 out of 10 series in which he played at least 3 tests. Doesn't appear so bad to me.

EDIT: And Hedley Verity and Hugh Tayfield ahead of any of the over-romanticized Indian spinners.
    Last edited by ankitj; 18-05-2011 at 07:45 AM.

EDIT: And Hedley Verity and Hugh Tayfield ahead of any of the over-romanticized Indian spinners.
    seconded...

My personal pecking order for the greatest spinners will be something like this (from the top of my mind):

Muttiah Muralitharan, Bill O'Reilly, Shane Warne, Clarrie Grimmett, Jim Laker, Hedley Verity, Richie Benaud, Hugh Tayfield, Anil Kumble, Subhash Gupte, Johnny Wardle, Chandrashekhar, Bedi, Prasanna, Saqlain, Faulkner, Underwood, Qadir, Gibbs, Colin Blythe, Mankad, Harbhajan, MacGill etc etc...
    Last edited by weldone; 18-05-2011 at 08:53 AM.
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    seconded...

My personal pecking order for the greatest spinners will be something like this (from the top of my mind):

Muttiah Muralitharan, Bill O'Reilly, Shane Warne, Clarrie Grimmett, Jim Laker, Hedley Verity, Richie Benaud, Hugh Tayfield, Anil Kumble, Subhash Gupte, Chandrashekhar, Bedi, Prasanna, Saqlain, Faulkner, Underwood, Qadir, Gibbs etc etc...
    Harbhajan?

Harbhajan?
    likes of Harbhajan, Mankad, MacGill, Blythe and others will follow after those I've listed...

Cricket Spectator
    Wasim Akram , such a beast of a bowler , found the weaknesses of classy batsmen which other bowlers do that now a days.

U19 Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post

Muttiah Muralitharan, Bill O'Reilly, Shane Warne, Clarrie Grimmett, Jim Laker, Hedley Verity, Richie Benaud, Hugh Tayfield, Anil Kumble, Subhash Gupte, Chandrashekhar, Bedi, Prasanna, Saqlain, Faulkner, Underwood, Qadir, Gibbs etc etc...
    Johnny Wardle should be somewhere (in the top half) of that list, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Borges View Post
    Johnny Wardle should be somewhere (in the top half) of that list, IMHO.
    O yeah certainly! Forgot him for a moment...I shall personally keep him somewhere in between the 5 Indians there...

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Hmm. Jim Laker has an average of under 25 in 6 out of 10 series in which he played at least 3 tests. Doesn't appear so bad to me.

He was deadly at home on sticky wickets but not so much elsewhere. His home/away record kind of reflect this.
    ★★★★★

Icon1

The reason Ikki mentions in post # 221 is true.

Additionally, Laker rarely had to shoulder the burden of carrying an attack. The way men like Gupte, Tayfield and the outstanding Grimmett-O'Reilly combination did. Not to deny that Jim was a fine bowler, but bowling alongside great seamers like Bedser, Bailey and Fiery Fred, a spin bowler's job is arguably a lot easier.

Hedley Verity is a top shout. I would agree with that. For anyone who has not read/investigated enough about Subhash Gupte, this post by SJS is a masterpiece!

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread Information