View Poll Results: Greatest Pakistani fast bowler?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wasim Akram

55 55.56%
  • Imran Khan

39 39.39%
  • Other (specify)

5 5.05%
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Greatest Pakistani fast bowler - Wasim or Imran?

International Debutant salman85's Avatar
    Injuries took their toll on Waqar,and his relationship with Wasim could also be put in there as a factor.But the latter is politics and something that every cricketer in Pakistan has to go through.To his credit,he kept on fighting,making comebacks when least expected and i feel he was a better captain than his stint at the top suggests.

An on song Waqar was more lethal than an on song Wasim and Imran TBF.When batsmen start wearing toe protectors because of you,you've got to be pretty ****ing special.
    Last edited by salman85; 08-05-2011 at 02:48 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by salman85 View Post

An on song Waqar was more lethal than an on song Wasim and Imran TBF.When batsmen start wearing toe protectors because of you,you've got to be pretty ****ing special.
    did any one ever wear those???? haha....that does sound awesome

Did you check out Imran's stats that I posted on the last page???? Is that an awesome peak or what????

International Debutant salman85's Avatar
    Yeah i checked out those stats.Brilliant stuff.Almost as good as his womanizing stats

And I've read/heard about county batsmen wearing toe protectors against Waqar.I don't know how true it is,but even if it isn't,in my mind it is
    Last edited by salman85; 08-05-2011 at 07:02 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by salman85 View Post
    Yeah i checked out those stats.Brilliant stuff.Almost as good as his womanizing stats

And I've read/heard about county batsmen wearing toe protectors against Waqar.I don't know how true it is,but even if it isn't,in my mind it is
    and now all your claims regarding Wasim being the best should go down the drain

International 12th Man Outswinger@Pace's Avatar

Icon1

I never really saw Wasim at his peak (started watching after WC 1999) and Imran, obviously, not at all in a live match.

However, based on extensive reading on cricket, watching old videos and listening to ardent cricket lovers (including my old man), I have sketched certain opinions about them. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind at least that both are among the all-time great bowlers.

Wasim Akram: A wonderfully talented bloke with a superb wrist position during delivery. That gave him a unique ability to swing it late at high pace generated with a rapid arm-action.

I am however, not convinced, that Wasim was as physically strong (to soldier on during long, tough spells) as Imran or even Waqar, for that matter. Mental resolve and tenacity could be another factor that thinly separated Wasim from Imran Khan. Perhaps, he was so naturally gifted that he never had to work as had as some others. I'm not sure, but if the going got really tough, I'd back an Imran Khan rather than a Wasim Akram to bowl my side to victory.

Imran Khan: By all accounts, one of the most amazing fast bowlers' stories one can imagine. Not a natural fast bowler by any means, he totally altered his action and through sheer guts and hard work, became a great bowler when he was well into his late 20s.

Imran was the trailblazer and a pioneer in a region where the art of fast and swing bowling were practically unknown*. The prevalent perception was that the new-ball bowler was to get the ball old for the spinners and would get 5-6 overs, at best, during the start of the innings. Imran Khan single-handedly challenged that school of reasoning and developed enough pace, swing (conventional and Irish), variations, physical stamina and mental resolve to produce match-winning spells in the sub-continent. No one before him had such an impact on turf wickets in the region.

He led the way and showed something new to the cricketing world - that a sub-continental fast bowler can be a lethal match-winning weapon on the low, dusty tracks of Faisalabad, the bouncy Australian pitches or in wet English conditons. That realisation and motivation alone was sufficient to inspire a generation of cricketers to come.

Another significant factor is that, like a truly great sportsman, Khan improved as he advanced in age and with each tour. His bowling repertoire expanded, he was still quick in his mid-30s (testimony to the man's fitness) and as a captain and new-ball bowler he led from the front.

My inference: For sheer work-ethic, mastery in all conditions and going against the grain ('remember son, opening bowlers help in getting the ball old in sub-continental wickets' ) with such audacity and success, Imran Khan is the superior bowler.

As highly as I rate Akram, I have to say that Khan is the best fast bowler that Asia ever produced. Just my modest opinion and is not to be interpreted as Gospel truth!

*(Fazal Mahmood and Khan Mohammad, great as they were, played a long time ago to register sufficiently into the general public's imagination. The general identification of the sub-continental public was not quite there.)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Outswinger@Pace View Post
    I never really saw Wasim at his peak (started watching after WC 1999) and Imran, obviously, not at all in a live match.

However, based on extensive reading on cricket, watching old videos and listening to ardent cricket lovers (including my old man), I have sketched certain opinions about them. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind at least that both are among the all-time great bowlers.

Wasim Akram: A wonderfully talented bloke with a superb wrist position during delivery. That gave him a unique ability to swing it late at high pace generated with a rapid arm-action.

I am however, not convinced, that Wasim was as physically strong (to soldier on during long, tough spells) as Imran or even Waqar, for that matter. Mental resolve and tenacity could be another factor that thinly separated Wasim from Imran Khan. Perhaps, he was so naturally gifted that he never had to work as had as some others. I'm not sure, but if the going got really tough, I'd back an Imran Khan rather than a Wasim Akram to bowl my side to victory.

Imran Khan: By all accounts, one of the most amazing fast bowlers' stories one can imagine. Not a natural fast bowler by any means, he totally altered his action and through sheer guts and hard work, became a great bowler when he was well into his late 20s.

Imran was the trailblazer and a pioneer in a region where the art of fast and swing bowling were practically unknown*. The prevalent perception was that the new-ball bowler was to get the ball old for the spinners and would get 5-6 overs, at best, during the start of the innings. Imran Khan single-handedly challenged that school of reasoning and developed enough pace, swing (conventional and Irish), variations, physical stamina and mental resolve to produce match-winning spells in the sub-continent. No one before him had such an impact on turf wickets in the region.

He led the way and showed something new to the cricketing world - that a sub-continental fast bowler can be a lethal match-winning weapon on the low, dusty tracks of Faisalabad, the bouncy Australian pitches or in wet English conditons. That realisation and motivation alone was sufficient to inspire a generation of cricketers to come.

Another significant factor is that, like a truly great sportsman, Khan improved as he advanced in age and with each tour. His bowling repertoire expanded, he was still quick in his mid-30s (testimony to the man's fitness) and as a captain and new-ball bowler he led from the front.

My inference: For sheer work-ethic, mastery in all conditions and going against the grain ('remember son, opening bowlers help in getting the ball old in sub-continental wickets' ) with such audacity and success, Imran Khan is the superior bowler.

As highly as I rate Akram, I have to say that Khan is the best fast bowler that Asia ever produced. Just my modest opinion and is not to be interpreted as Gospel truth!

*(Fazal Mahmood and Khan Mohammad, great as they were, played a long time ago to register sufficiently into the general public's imagination. The general identification of the sub-continental public was not quite there.)
    Wow dude. You write well. I think you will be a great addition to CW (i.e. if you stay long enough). Welcome to cricket web. I hope you have a great time here

International 12th Man Outswinger@Pace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Wow dude. You write well. I think you will be a great addition to CW (i.e. if you stay long enough). Welcome to cricket web. I hope you have a great time here
    Thanks! It's a fine site. I had been lurking around for a few months. Thought I might as well create an account.

Banned
    Thanks! It's a fine site. I had been lurking around for a few months. Thought I might as well create an account.
    i think that is a step in the right direction

Imran - Good old (Sus)sex by the Sea

What do you think you're doing? You didn't use a single stats filter in this argument.

Great post mate. Hoping you stick around.
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

wasim's stats in england weren't great. neither was his overall record against SA. I dont think he did anything of note against India either. Waqar was bad against australia and terrible against India. But for their stats against SL and NZ, the two Ws could very well be averaging over 25/26 against better teams.
    so, imo, it is Imran, all the way!

EDIT: against india, eng, aus, WI and SA imran averages 23.5, wasim 26 and waqar 28.3. these numbers are truly reflective of their respective standards, I believe.
    Last edited by bagapath; 12-05-2011 at 03:37 AM.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar

Great post, and welcome to CW. I have always admired Khan for his hard work and his mental toughness. In one of his interviews, he says that the will came from people telling him that he would never be a great fast bowler. I guess he proved a lot of people wrong.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    wasim's stats in england weren't great. neither was his overall record against SA. I dont think he did anything of note against India either. Waqar was bad against australia and terrible against India. But for their stats against SL and NZ, the two Ws could very well be averaging over 25/26 against better teams.
    so, imo, it is Imran, all the way!

EDIT: against india, eng, aus, WI and SA imran averages 23.5, wasim 26 and waqar 28.3. these numbers are truly reflective of their respective standards, I believe.
    IIRC Imran didn't play against SA.

Which means his average against Eng, Aus, WI, and India comes to 23.5 WAG though.

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Richie picked Imran in his XI.
    Enough said.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by centurymaker View Post
    Richie picked Imran in his XI.
    Enough said.
    yes but that was because of his all round skill and not because he thought that Imran was a better bowler than Wasim

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information